Teaser.....

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Slowly, but even more slowly, I am bringing my '96 Genesis 1000 back to life. When she's done, she'll either be a Genesis 2000 or 3000, but for now, she's just this......

1629999544767.jpeg

Eastwood internal frame coating, ground the exterior of the frame to bare steel, sanded, and shot with four coats of everyone's favorite high heat gloss. Put together with some stainless hardware from McMaster Carr. Next up.....lid, endcaps, and fire box. After that, I see lots of redwood sanding and staining in my future! :)

How do you plan to extend the 1000 frame to make it a 2 or 3000?

Curious. My NG DD is a 2000, and I have a propane 1000 in the yard too. Wondering if there is an easy way to add another thousand to the LP one.

Speaking of pictures Rich, you do a great job of painting.
Have spray can, will travel. There's a reason you aren't getting close ups..... :)

How do you plan to extend the 1000 frame to make it a 2 or 3000?

Curious. My NG DD is a 2000, and I have a propane 1000 in the yard too. Wondering if there is an easy way to add another thousand to the LP one.
T, the right side of the top frame has an extension to the right that will accept a table (2000) or side burner (3000.) If you can find a donor frame, that piece will attach to your existing left, top side frame.

In my case, I went shopping at Patrick G's Weber Parts Emporium (aka: his backyard), where he was able to hook me up with a solid frame. :)

R

Rich, I did the same thing a few years back with my 1998 Gen 1000 I bought new. I converted mine to a 2000. I kept it stock as it's a semi daily driver.. back when I did this I didn't need aa 3000 so I put a shelf to replace the side burner and added a right side flip up.

DSCN2766.JPG

Rich, I did the same thing a few years back with my 1998 Gen 1000 I bought new. I converted mine to a 2000. I kept it stock as it's a semi daily driver.. back when I did this I didn't need aa 3000 so I put a shelf to replace the side burner and added a right side flip up.

View attachment 35638
Rich,

I have always really liked that grill of yours. It has the functionality of the slightly later SIlver B/C with the dual fold down tables (which I also like a lot), but the charm of a more classic Weber. And, the durawood - while not as warm looking as wood - is a relatively easy cleanup and way less maintenance.

Always enjoyed seeing your '98, Rich! You did a beautiful job on it! Originally, I was going to build this grill for my own personal use......then I found that '05 Summit Platinum.....of course, I'd already ordered my pimped out parts, so we'll see what I do. I'd love to add a right side flip up if I could find one! ;) I'm going to go with redwood slats on this one, as I prefer wood to Durawood.......I even have a couple of original wood lid handles! :)

R

If I was closer, I’d consider that, I have a gas line outside that is just buried, it wouldn’t be a big deal to get that plumbed out for it. But, then again, I don’t need it.

What would be the difference between that and a regular Genesis 3000 and the Platinum version? Maybe SS grates?

I would also pounce on that if it was anywhere near me as I have a NG bib on my back patio which feeds my E320. I've been thinking about getting a NG manifold for my Gen 2000, tired of messing with propane tanks.

What would be the difference between that and a regular Genesis 3000 and the Platinum version? Maybe SS grates?
I think the Platinum grills of that era had slightly ramped up btu output -presumably from orifice openings that were slightly larger. Of course, if you replaced the NG manifold with a regular LP one (not also from a Platinum of that type) you would lose that.

Rich,

I have always really liked that grill of yours. It has the functionality of the slightly later SIlver B/C with the dual fold down tables (which I also like a lot), but the charm of a more classic Weber. And, the durawood - while not as warm looking as wood - is a relatively easy cleanup and way less maintenance.
Your correct on that Jon. The left side shelf and flip up are original to the 1000 grill and are 23 years old and still look like new. Anyway that's Barbs baby she learned to grill on that one and I've been told it's not going anywhere.:)

Last edited:
I think the Platinum grills of that era had slightly ramped up btu output -presumably from orifice openings that were slightly larger. Of course, if you replaced the NG manifold with a regular LP one (not also from a Platinum of that type) you would lose that.
Just to keep the record straight ... I have a '98 Platinum Series and according to the ID tag it's the same BTU output as my very early (although not as early as Rich D's) LPG L7. And I have an early NG N4 and it is the same BTU output as the rest of the Genesis LPG models.

Label.jpgTank Support.pngID N4.png

Last edited:
I think it was a promotional thing, like the Skyline Series...special trim and "nameplate"...unlike the Platinum Series II that was available at the same time, which was significantly different.

Last edited:
Just to keep the record straight ... I have a '98 Platinum Series and according to the ID tag it's the same BTU output as my very early (although not as early as Rich D's) LPG L7. And I have an early NG N4 and it is the same BTU output as the rest of the Genesis LPG models.

View attachment 35719View attachment 35721View attachment 35723
Ed,
Yes, you are correct. It seems that it was the later Platinum series with the gull wing tables that featured 39,000 btu vs. the regular 36,000 btu for the Silver B/C. You can see that in the 2001 brochure we are fortunate to have here:

Jon, we need an Archivist for all things Weber. I nominate...YOU! I'm a trivia and minutiae kind of guy, and like I've always said, if you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter! :giggle:

Back