TBT Wine Oak Brisket

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
I bought my 18" WSM back in 2006, after a few cooks, I went for it, and did my first brisket. I used wine oak staves, cooked over night, rested for about 2hrs in towels. It was a little breezy that night, thus the wind break. I was happy how well the brisket turned out. It was super tender, not dry, perfect smoke flavor with that Wine Oak wood. I was super happy how it turned out. Here are the pics. I wish brisket prices were this cheap now. Brisket has been running $35-$55 for a whole packer in my area. Here are the pics.

That is one nice looking brisket Michael. That is something I'm going to have to make is a wind break, it's so windy here in the summer it drives me nuts with the 18.5 and the mini. Think I'm going to steal your tri fold idea that would work great here.

Great looking Brisket Michael. Smoke ring is fabulous. Will have to look into wine staves for smoke wood. Brisket is one of my favorites. I don't flinch anymore at paying $50.00 plus form a USDA Prime brisket. It is to good to worry about and the leftovers are wonderful. You did a great job on that one. Bark looks good also.

That is a good price. I just paid $150 for a 17 lber.

Any more details? How long did it take? What temperature did you smoke it at?

I did the midnight method, but I started this around 10:00pm ish. Once smoker settled around 225-235F ish, I went to bed. Remote alarmed woke me up early morning, wrapped in foil at 165F, and went back to bed. when alarm hit around 195F ish, I pulled and rested under towels for a good 2hrs or so. I'm thinking it was around 9-10hrs on the smoker, then the 2hr rest. It was one of my best Briskets!!!!

Michael you nailed that one great bark and smoke ring. You can always send a care package if you have any left over!!!;)

Back