Tacos Al Pastor

Mark Skeet

TVWBB Pro
Had a taste for tacos today. I had a pork tenderloin in the freezer so I though I'd give al pastor a go. Here's what I had to work with.

Made a marinade of rehydrated ancho and guajillo chiles, chipotle and the adobo sauce, roasted garlic and achiote. That went on the the pork which was cut up in chunks and hit the fridge for a few hours.

Fired up some KB on the red.

First to hit the grill was some halved tomatillos and a jalepeno for a salsa verde.

Pork hit the grill direct. I was looking to get it good and crispy on the outside. Tortillas warming up in back.

Turned after a few minutes. Got some good color. Added some pineapple slices.

Everything finished up pretty quick so off it came for a quick rest before chopping.

Chopped it all up and mixed the pork and pineapple together. I got a good mix of charred and tender. Plated up on corn tortillas with the salsa verde, onion, cilantro and queso fresco.

Not much to it. Didn't think I needed to have anything on the side besides a beer. Pretty tasty, the flavors were all there, but I think it would be better with pork that had more fat. I need to get a rotisserie and try it again with some shoulder.

Thanks for looking and have a great week!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pretty tasty, the flavors were all there, but I think it would be better with pork that had more fat. I need to get a rotisserie and try it again with some shoulder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe try doing it the same way with a "rib end" pork loin rather than a tenderloin.
Either way... its a recipe that I'm going to borrow!
icon_wink.gif

All looks Great Mark. I'm still trying to wrap pineapple and grill around my head. You make it look right.

Very nice. For another approach, if you're interested, using butt (sliced then pounded and layered with pineapple) see this post and the two below it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Didn't think I needed to have anything on the side besides a beer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...and possibly another chair at the table.....

for me
icon_biggrin.gif

Outstanding Mark!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Very nice. For another approach, if you're interested, using butt (sliced then pounded and layered with pineapple) see this post and the two below it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that Kevin. Have you tried rotisserie style and if so which method was most successful?

I eventually did try the rotis version. Same approach, just used a rotis instead. I like the rotis version a bit better but on the grate in the kettle works fine too, especially if set-up time for the rotis isn't to be had.

I have a basket rotis (EZ Que), not the center spike style. For that, I use the method I used here, for gyro meat. I baste every once in a while with with excess marinade.

But the kettle alone if fine for those without a rotis or for those with the rotis but not the time to get it up and going.

Back