Sweet Potatoes

Barret

TVWBB Pro
First, I want to apologize that I only have this one picture of this entire cook, but the sweet potatoes were the only thing cooked on a grill for Thanksgiving Dinner 2013!

I traveled with my wife and kids to Boise for the week of Thanksgiving, and I helped my Mom brine her 23-lb. bird a few days before, and then let it rest in the fridge, uncovered. Because I couldn’t bring my Weber OTS, she opted to just cook the bird in the oven, which left her Weber gasser free for any sides. I had never cooked sweet potatoes on the grill before, but thought it would be fun and taste great. I’ve cooked – many times – halved potatoes coated in oil on the grill, and the results have always been very satisfying! I love the taste of grilled half potatoes, either topped with a bit of butter and salt and pepper, or with any other topping, they are superb!

Anyway, because sweet potatoes are not actually potatoes (only very distantly related), they are similar in that they are both root vegetables, and should cook about the same, I thought. Typically, when I cook potatoes, I cut them in half, and coat them with a bit of cooking oil. I always start them on medium direct heat, cut side down, and after about 4 – 5 minutes, give them a quarter turn, and let the crosshatch design set in. Then, I flip them over and cook the skin side until they are slightly charred, and then place them on indirect heat to finish cooking, about another 15 – 20 minutes. (The next time I do potatoes, I’ll post pictures.)

When I cooked the sweet potatoes, after giving them a beautiful crosshatch design, I left them skin side down on direct medium-high heat for the remainder of the time. They ended up simply cooking in their skins, which kind of became sort of a shell in which they cooked. The skins never burned, and they took a lot longer to cook than potatoes.

The end result was amazing! Everyone loved them, and we all put a pat or two of real butter and a bit of salt and pepper on them before digging in. I’m hooked, and will now cook them many more times throughout the year, and not just during the Holidays!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!
Barret

Good stuff Barret, try a little hickory and apple smoke and some brown sugar along with the butter next time!! Good eats right there!!

Good stuff Barret, try a little hickory and apple smoke and some brown sugar along with the butter next time!! Good eats right there!!

I agree, I add some brown sugar, butter, and maple syrup, then at the end I put a couple big marshmallows on top.......never any leftovers!

Back