Surf & Turf

Thomas/Klamerus

TVWBB Member
I cooked steak and tuna at the same time. The steak was cooked below the charcoal starter and the tuna was cooked on top. Next time I will cook them separately because they take different times to cook and it was hard to coordinate the turning. Over all they were very good.

I'm still in the process of learning all of the various tricks there are out there...this one is totally new to me. Obviously, I understand the tuna on top of the chimney. But, where was the charcoal...on the charcoal grate? Then the steak on the cooking grate with underneath/inside the bottom of the chimney?

Well that's a new first for me. I can see your point, a little hard to work the two different proteins.

I fill up the charcoal chimney starter 80% full then I put the grate on top and light paper under it. When it is hot I tap it to knock loose ashes. I then brush the grate it sits on to clear the area where the steak will sit. By having the charcoal above the meat it gets a sear without any flare ups. The tuna was dipped in butter then sprinkled with blackened fish seasonings and placed on the grate (which was cleaned and oiled) on the top of the chimney.

Back