Supply chain SNAFU

BUT, the price of a 1kg bag is now at $3.99 whereas it was $3.49 last summer. It is what it is. The price vs quality is still reasonable so I bought it. It's only $0.78 per 12" round pizza for the flour cost only.
Try looking for Granaro 00. It's what I buy. It's from Italy so no worry about glyphosate in it either since that material is not allowed to be used or sold in the EU. I use it for pasta mostly. Sometimes wife makes my bread with it as well. I usually mix in a little semolina (same brand) when I make pasta as well. Gives me a slightly firmer "bite" pasta. Great stuff
There is also an organic AP flour that is milled here in WI sold at our Costco. It too is great stuff and makes wonderful bread, pizza and pasta

And oh I have noticed people on places like Fakebook and NextDoor will say "oh such and such place out of XYZ" then occasionally someone else will post "but such and such has plenty". Am I a bad guy for keeping it a secret? I NEVER broadcast someplace having plenty of what I need LOL.

And oh BTW, managed to score 2 gallons of my fav lube juice for my equipment (Shell Rotella T6 5W-40). Had gone to Menards with my 15% off bag. Wandering around decided to look at the oil rack and boom laying down almost invisible 2 gallons of that terrific juice AND with 15% off. Guess I won the lottery. Now if I can score a 5 gal bucket of it at Farm&Fleet I will be set up for a couple years at least! The Kubota takes 3 qts, I do it once in season and end of season, snowblower will use 1/2qt and lawn more another 1/2qt so once a year for those. I'll be good on lube juice

Last edited:
Try looking for Granaro 00. It's what I buy. It's from Italy so no worry about glyphosate in it either since that material is not allowed to be used or sold in the EU. I use it for pasta mostly. Sometimes wife makes my bread with it as well. I usually mix in a little semolina (same brand) when I make pasta as well. Gives me a slightly firmer "bite" pasta. Great stuff
There is also an organic AP flour that is milled here in WI sold at our Costco. It too is great stuff and makes wonderful bread, pizza and pasta

And oh I have noticed people on places like Fakebook and NextDoor will say "oh such and such place out of XYZ" then occasionally someone else will post "but such and such has plenty". Am I a bad guy for keeping it a secret? I NEVER broadcast someplace having plenty of what I need LOL.

And oh BTW, managed to score 2 gallons of my fav lube juice for my equipment (Shell Rotella T6 5W-40). Had gone to Menards with my 15% off bag. Wandering around decided to look at the oil rack and boom laying down almost invisible 2 gallons of that terrific juice AND with 15% off. Guess I won the lottery. Now if I can score a 5 gal bucket of it at Farm&Fleet I will be set up for a couple years at least! The Kubota takes 3 qts, I do it once in season and end of season, snowblower will use 1/2qt and lawn more another 1/2qt so once a year for those. I'll be good on lube juice
i will see if that's around nearby. i did buy 6 Caputo 00 1kg sacks yesterday AND one pack of Bob's Red Mill semolina as i do a 25% semolina in my Neo pizza crusts and Sicilian too. semolina flour just gives pizza dough the bite i like and makes the dough slightly less chewy, if that makes sense to anyone reading this.

i used to make pasta but we've cut down on it many years ago so we buy Barilla dry boxed for when we do make pasta dishes. yes, i know my Italian friends aren't happy with me when i say we eat less pasta.

On that organic AP Costco flour, is it bread flour? i prefer the higher protein in bread flours for pizzas and when making bread for its crumb that it creates. i think i'm going to make ciabatta too this weekend if i can prepare enough ahead of time. maybe make them bun sized for burgers, sausages and dogs which i think are on the menu with those beans i made last night.

thanks for the reply. always looking for trade secrets and what others are using.

and for a city kid, i did know what a Kubota is in your post. i feel so well rounded.

The Costco is just a straight AP flour. I stopped buying Barilla a long time ago. It's made in the US not Italy and has tons of chemicals in the flour. I discovered Garafallo pasta at Costco. It's made in Italy and is sold in metric weights. It's the only pasta I use (unless it's home made). It is organic so no worries about glyphosate or other nasties in it. And another thing I absolutely LOVE about this pasta is it's cooking consistency. If the package says 11 minuti it's 11 not one more or less and it's perfect every time. Perfect al dente, great flavor and texture as well. Barilla is good pasta if you're in Italy. Many of the families I know and have stayed with there use it. It's why I began using it here. But 2 things. I noticed the texture and flavor of it here MEH. And the glyphosate. Likely wondering why I am hung up on that. Beside the fact that is actually Agent Orange, is a horrid poison (ask anyone who's served in Nam and now is fighting cancers they never should be), it also contributes to blood sugar spikes. I had pretty much sworn off pasta when I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. Every time I had it boom HUGE spike in glucose next day. So I did some research and discovered a study from Mayo IIRC indicating one reason people in the US experience such huge blood sugar spikes from bread and pasta (along with likely other health issues) is the glyphosate residue in the US grown flour! So I began making it with Granoro from Italy. Bam! I could eat that like crazy and my sugar went DOWN on next day. No spikes! So wife began making bread with it. Here too similar results. So I started experimenting with different pastas and found the one I mentioned. Again no issues as it's grown and manufactured in Italy and they do not allow the poisons our FDA allows.
So now I can enjoy my heritage without penalty.
Glad you know about Kubota. Honestly I don't need a machine so big and powerful. I only bought it for the music the engine makes :D

Thanks for the Garrafallo tip Larry! I’ll look tomorrow when I go for vodka and fuel
In a pinch vodka can be fuel :D Do you use their French vodka? I've heard it's actually Grey Goose in disguise. I have tried it blind test and could not tell the difference. Same with the French vodka at Sam's Club. Since I have curtailed my consumption by like 80% I rarely need to buy it. But it's a great bargain

Went to Safeway today. On the surface, things looked pretty good, but as I paid more attention I noticed some canned goods missing, no Diet Coke in cans anywhere in the store, and some items faced just two deep at the front edge of the shelf. Some of my favorite brands/items are missing, but there are plenty of acceptable substitutes or I can easily go without until they're back in stock.

I'm afraid some things might not come back. We've lost access to Vernor's ginger ale here in San Jose, both regular and diet. I can live without it if I have to, but when my travels take me closer to Michigan I will stock up!

In a pinch vodka can be fuel :D Do you use their French vodka? I've heard it's actually Grey Goose in disguise. I have tried it blind test and could not tell the difference. Same with the French vodka at Sam's Club. Since I have curtailed my consumption by like 80% I rarely need to buy it. But it's a great bargain
I’ve tried both, the French is somewhat nicer and for my, newly reduced (thanks Doc!) intake, my philosophy has become…
”Drink less/Drink Better”! I will ask dear wife’s son to get me a bottle from Sams.

Went to Safeway today. On the surface, things looked pretty good, but as I paid more attention I noticed some canned goods missing, no Diet Coke in cans anywhere in the store, and some items faced just two deep at the front edge of the shelf. Some of my favorite brands/items are missing, but there are plenty of acceptable substitutes or I can easily go without until they're back in stock.

I'm afraid some things might not come back. We've lost access to Vernor's ginger ale here in San Jose, both regular and diet. I can live without it if I have to, but when my travels take me closer to Michigan I will stock up!
Let me know when you head this way! I can start stocking some for you!

The Costco is just a straight AP flour. I stopped buying Barilla a long time ago. It's made in the US not Italy and has tons of chemicals in the flour. I discovered Garafallo pasta at Costco. It's made in Italy and is sold in metric weights. It's the only pasta I use (unless it's home made). It is organic so no worries about glyphosate or other nasties in it. And another thing I absolutely LOVE about this pasta is it's cooking consistency. If the package says 11 minuti it's 11 not one more or less and it's perfect every time. Perfect al dente, great flavor and texture as well. Barilla is good pasta if you're in Italy. Many of the families I know and have stayed with there use it. It's why I began using it here. But 2 things. I noticed the texture and flavor of it here MEH. And the glyphosate. Likely wondering why I am hung up on that. Beside the fact that is actually Agent Orange, is a horrid poison (ask anyone who's served in Nam and now is fighting cancers they never should be), it also contributes to blood sugar spikes. I had pretty much sworn off pasta when I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. Every time I had it boom HUGE spike in glucose next day. So I did some research and discovered a study from Mayo IIRC indicating one reason people in the US experience such huge blood sugar spikes from bread and pasta (along with likely other health issues) is the glyphosate residue in the US grown flour! So I began making it with Granoro from Italy. Bam! I could eat that like crazy and my sugar went DOWN on next day. No spikes! So wife began making bread with it. Here too similar results. So I started experimenting with different pastas and found the one I mentioned. Again no issues as it's grown and manufactured in Italy and they do not allow the poisons our FDA allows.
So now I can enjoy my heritage without penalty.
Glad you know about Kubota. Honestly I don't need a machine so big and powerful. I only bought it for the music the engine makes :D
you got me researching now.

"The recipe and the wheat blend are the same as that used in Parma, Italy. Barilla purchases its wheat from around the world, ending up with the best wheat available."

I never look at soft drinks as I don't consume them at all anymore. Thanks to liver damage from the high frutcose corn syrup. Here again diagnosed by my dr of "better living?" through chemistry. But I will look and see if it's on the shelves out here in the hinterlands

"The recipe and the wheat blend are the same as that used in Parma, Italy. Barilla purchases its wheat from around the world, ending up with the best wheat available."
Sadly had not been my experience. Another thing I noticed is you could never count on the cooking time. It might say 8 minutes on the box but you pull it and it's over done and flabby. So try the same type again and pull it at 7 minutes and it's still crunchy. I really dislike having to guess and test constantly. That is another thing I absolutely love about the Garafalo is I can drop it, set the time and wait for the bell. Pull it and perfect every time. Not once have I had a fail. Otherwise I get the KitchenAid to work and I make my own.

I shop at Aldi, Wal-Mart, and Jewel. The first two have always been bad at keeping the shelves stocked, even worse now. Jewel is usually pretty good, but even they have been out of any kind of canned rolls, biscuits, etc. for a couple of weeks now just as one example. Coffee creamer has been tough to find also for some reason.

I buy Silk's almond milk caramel creamer and it was hit and miss for a few months. Now I am seeing it back around. Haven't had any issues finding most other stuff at stores in my area.

I work on the supply chain side in the food industry and I can say with confidence labor has impacted processors. Especially cheap cuts (chicken livers, etc). When people are in short supply it is the less expensive portion of the animal that stops getting collected, first.

No coffee creamer for me. I use actual cream. I don't like the coffee diluted, flavored or cooled off. I only want that touch of "smoothness". So a teaspoon (or slightly less) is all it takes. I use only really good beans and grind them in small batches though.

I’m a half and half guy, I lean toward keeping some stock on hand, generally two quarts, I use it for most things asking for milk, when full cream would be too much. I keep that on hand as well in similar quantity.
not a fan of the whole almond “milk” farming practice, lots of water to produce gallon of the stuff, as for “flavored” stuff, I think it’s generally nasty. Just one grumpy old farts take on it.

In the St Louis area, supply has been pretty good at Walmart and local grocers. Sure, there are some out of stocks, but usually only for a short time. Costco always looks full because they will fill the shelves for something. They were out of a few things I normally buy there. I think some shortages are due to panic buying and over stocking our pantries because we are told there is a shortage.

Just got back from Meijer’s, advertised NY strip roasts at $7.99/lb. not one in stock! “We didn’t get any!” Was the counter man’s response to my question. Do I try another store or just bag it this week? I was think it would be a good way to have a few steaks on hand!

Back