"Super size" charcoal

I'm thinking they might be closer to the Weber briquettes in size which is a good thing. I think they'll work great in the WSM. As far as searing on a charcoal grill, bigger is not always better. But, the ridge in these will make up for some of that with increased air flow.

Maybe they're figuring out people don't want these tiny coals that light fast but burn away before your hamburgers are even cooked.. But to answer the question ..nope... I'm happy with Cowboy natural briquettes . There's no reason to buy anything else

Might be the same mold they use for Royal Oak Chefs Select.
It's been awhile since I had some but it was larger vs the standard RO Ridge.

Measured a few Chef Select briquets. Basically 2" x 2" x 1 3/8" outside dimensions.
There are also 1/4" deep by 5/8" wide swaths removed across the face of each briquet, similar in looks to the "Super Sized" briquets.

Only bag of lump I ever tried was cowboy, popped so bad on my performer the steaks had texture of a gravel road, after 2 cooks the rest was used in my offset where they popped and didn't affect the food,

Joe another option if your coals are burning quick are B and B orange bag oak briquettes as I find them to burn longer than anything I have tried,It is my go to chacoal.
Thanks Louie, I will look for those. And thanks to all for responding. I like the Wicked Good lump for most purposes, but the pieces run pretty big and the WSM just does not behave well with those especially on marathon cooks. So great suggestions here as always!

I haven't been happy with Royal Oak briquettes, I'm with Louie, B&B orange bag is the way to go as far as briquettes go.

Walmart sells them now on their website, but they go in and out of stock a lot.

Mario... Specifically which series of Royal Oak briquets have you not been happy with ?

Last edited:
Mario... Specifically which series of Royal Oak briquets have you not been happy
The worst Royal Oak briquettes are those red, white, and blue bags. They smoke up the entire backyard, burn quickly, and leave a ton of ash.
I also tried the "All Natural" from Walmart, those were a bit better.

After trying B&B orange bag, it's hard to go back to RO or Kingsford. The B&B burns way cleaner, lasts a lot longer, and leaves little ash in comparison.

My 2nd favorite briquette is Cowboy, very good value and performs almost as good as B&B, maybe 80%.

After trying B&B orange bag, it's hard to go back to RO or Kingsford. The B&B burns way cleaner, lasts a lot longer, and leaves little ash in comparison.
I agree. In fact, I picked up another 3 bags of it today!

My 2nd favorite briquette is Cowboy, very good value and performs almost as good as B&B, maybe 80%.
I've used a bunch of the Cowboy, and it's not bad, but there are two things I don't like about it: first, it doesn't seem to get as hot as other charcoals (even regular Kingsford). Second, partially burnt briquettes aren't reusable; they just crumble if they're touched or jarred. Kingsford and B&B both stay pretty solid for relighting.

Adding insult to injury, the only local place that carries it is Tractor Supply, and when I was there a little earlier today they wanted $14.99 a bag! At that price they can keep it...

Cowboy briquettes are best used for smoking rather then grilling. Also, WM sells twin pack of 20lb. or 40lb. for $17.92.

Joe another option if your coals are burning quick are B and B orange bag oak briquettes as I find them to burn longer than anything I have tried,It is my go to chacoal.
I really like B&B Orange as well. I picked it up once at an Ace because it was the only thing they had, and now I grab it whenever I see it. In regards to the OP about the large briqs, I would guess that it is in response to Jealous Devil's briqs.

Back