Sunday SupperPork Loin....

Dave Atwater

TVWBB Fan
Not a real detailed post tonight... spent the majority of the day working on a attachment for my Heater Meter .... it looks like this so far, kind of a proof of concept before I make a decent version.

Onto today's cook - mixed up a paste of garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and some generic dry Italian dried herbs.

Rubbed it all over and let it sit for about 4 hours...

Injected with a mix of apple cider, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Got this injector from Cabela's for 25 bucks - I'm real happy with it.

Tried a new veggie dish - sliced zucchini tossed in olive oil, dredged in a mix of bread crumbs and parmigiano reggiano and baked in the oven at 450'.

Cooked the loin on the WSM at 300' with a few lumps of hickory and apple for about 4 hours. I put it in a foil pan with a bit of apple cider in the bottom to keep the dripping from boiling off. I pulled it off at 140 internal and covered to let the carry over heat take me to 145' internal. Tossed it back on the performer on a direct heat to brown up the outsides a bit more. Holy crap was it good... Tender as all get out, great smoke flavor (maybe a bit too much), and very moist.

Pulled the zucchini out of the oven.... all GBD. It tasted good, but the veg was on the soft side. Next time I will put them under a broiler and see if I can't keep the zucchini a bit more crisp.

My mom made a spinach salad with pomegranate, avocado, and grapefruit slices. Dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette.

All plated up with a hard cider / pork dripping pan gravy and some mashers. These were run through a potato ricer - if you don't have one stop what you are doing and get one. Thanksgiving mashed taters will never be the same and you will be a potato god to your family.

Mom also made a pumpkin cheesecake for dessert and I had a hankering for a night cap so I paired it with an Ironball... equal parts Crown Royal and DiSarrano, shaken and strained into the appropriate dive bar glassware.. On the sweet side and very dangerous in quantity. I gave one to a female friend and she said "Dear God, that is all alcohol in there!" Yes, yes it is.

The loin was delicious and I will repeat this cook for sure....

Thanks for looking, hope you all had a great weekend.

Cooked the loin on the WSM at 300' with a few lumps of hickory and apple for about 4 hours. I put it in a foil pan with a bit of apple cider in the bottom to keep the dripping from boiling off. I pulled it off at 140 internal and covered to let the carry over heat take me to 145' internal. Tossed it back on the performer on a direct heat to brown up the outsides a bit more. Holy crap was it good... Tender as all get out, great smoke flavor (maybe a bit too much), and very moist.

I had a hankering for a night cap so I paired it with an Ironball... equal parts Crown Royal and DiSarrano, shaken and strained into the appropriate dive bar glassware.. On the sweet side and very dangerous in quantity. I gave one to a female friend and she said "Dear God, that is all alcohol in there!" Yes, yes it is..

i liked everything about this post , but I have to say the color of this pork loin and how juicy it looks just makes me want to throw one on my WSM this morning.....and I love the line about the ironball cocktail.....that is hilarious. Great post , man.

Nice cook and great looking plate of food, do you really notice a difference with injection? I have thought about doing injection but I get mixed reviews. I also like the dessert, but I like anything pumpkin.

Interesting and inspirational cooking with excellent final result!
Loin ... EVERYTHING looks very tasty Dave!
Nice pics too.

do you really notice a difference with injection? I have thought about doing injection but I get mixed reviews.

James,

still too new to the smoker game to have an opinion to inject or not. I do now that a modern market hog has had the fat bred out of them and I do find the loin quite lean and flavorless. My thought is that it makes for a good blank canvas to impart a desired flavor profile into. And I could be full of pig doo.

I do know that when I find the mythical Mangalitsa pig, he will meet my smoker in all of his naked, raw glory with no additions so I can relish in the fullness of its delicious flesh. Sorry, bit of a tangent there...:eek:

Careful Dave. Those Parm Zuch Crisps are addicting. I think every Zuch we harvested this year was made that way. LOL

I brine pork for the same reasons you inject: blank canvass.

Fantastic looking pork roast meal.

Last edited:

Back