Sunday Afternoon Sirloin on the Genesis Silver C

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Grilled a couple top sirloins for after-church Sunday lunch. It is hard to argue with the effectiveness and simplicity of the Genesis Silver C, especially when I got it for $50 including a nice set of Weber stainless rod grates and almost new flavorizer bars.

I think our steaks came out pretty well:

5doraa.jpg

Yes, those are GrillGrates, but have no fear: next up is unplated cast iron “LarryGrates”! I hope to have time to get my sheet metal friend to cut my perforated sheet aluminum into grate size pieces and to get my salvaged set of ORIGINAL Weber cast iron grates cleaned up and initially seasoned. Then, I am going to try this combination a few times while I get things ready for my grate play-off competition. I am really looking forward to seeing how the LarryGrates (in honor of LMichaels:eek:) works in actual use with both cast iron and stainless rods.

Stay tuned and be patient:cool:!

Last edited:
Looks good Jon...here are some ribeyes from this past Monday...USDA prime beef.

G65xJoJ.jpg

rZ9H2Jt.jpg

QXbdytO.jpg

Yup, if you're going to splurge then get USDA Prime. My 5 year old son ate 2 of those steaks all by himself!

Looks good Jon...here are some ribeyes from this past Monday...USDA prime beef.

G65xJoJ.jpg

rZ9H2Jt.jpg

QXbdytO.jpg

Yup, if you're going to splurge then get USDA Prime. My 5 year old son ate 2 of those steaks all by himself!

Sam,
Looks awesome done on those rcplanebuyer grates. Your son is on the ball! If you have a chance at prime ribeye you better grab it;)

Last edited:
Need to send a couple my way so that I can let you all know if they are good or not. :)

Anyone else use Hy-Vee for their premium cuts of beef? Our local Hy-Vee really has great cuts at great prices. They usually have 5.99 new York strips, 8.99 ribeyes, and 2.99 filets available. And the cuts/quality are just as good as our specialty meat shop at much lower prices.

If those prices were per pound rather than per "cut", I would say you are on to something. But, it all depends on how big the "Cuts" are.

You guys with a Costco near you are so damn lucky.

Costco is about a half hour away from me, but I get a free membership as a result of my employment. I have only splurged a couple time for the “blue styrofoam” Prime steaks. They are definitely really good. I have also had good success with their ribs and pork shoulders, much better than our grocery stores. They sell full size brisket with a good reputation, but I haven’t tried yet. They have some good deals on some other things but sometimes they try to bamboozle you with huge packages that aren’t really any special price. I do think their Kirkland house brand is surprisingly good for a number of the basics. On that you can get a great price. We keep bringing home Tide, though, because my wife isn’t persuaded!

Nearest Costco about an hour one way. I do have a Sam's close <10 min away. They have some good meat and other products there BUT has anyone else noticed the huge jump in beef prices? Notices at Sam's not that beef is substantially higher than I am used to. Making a simple steak dinner purchase a pretty expensive affair.
Funny though there is a meat shop near my dad's in the NW Burbs that sells only certified prime grade beef and pork yet their prices are just a tiny bit higher than regular grocery for store grade "choice" product
From what I have seen on my few trips into a Costco I would GLADLY dump Sam's for them

Nearest Costco about an hour one way. I do have a Sam's close <10 min away. They have some good meat and other products there BUT has anyone else noticed the huge jump in beef prices? Notices at Sam's not that beef is substantially higher than I am used to. Making a simple steak dinner purchase a pretty expensive affair.
Funny though there is a meat shop near my dad's in the NW Burbs that sells only certified prime grade beef and pork yet their prices are just a tiny bit higher than regular grocery for store grade "choice" product
From what I have seen on my few trips into a Costco I would GLADLY dump Sam's for them

Have you ever tried the tri tips from Sam's? We love those. Usually a pretty good value especially when you can catch them on sale.

We've noticed their prices edging up gradually over the last few years too. Not just Sam's though. It's everywhere.

Yah, I can remember getting queezy paying $7 or $8 a pound for ribeye. I am down to buying Sirloin for my regular steak meat.

I have never seen a tri tip at Sam's. Honestly a top sirloin is not a bad eating steak. Funny thing is though I have noticed beef pricing going up sharply at places like Sam's, my crappy grocery stores and so on but NOT at our local butcher shops. I was just in one my sister really likes in Arlington Heights yesterday PM and their costs on PRIME grade meat is still the same and still VERY competitive to Choice store grade and even cheaper than Prime grade available in their local grocery store (Mariano's). Yes it's expensive but for me? I'll still buy it. And believe me it truly is Prime grade. Place is called Thuringer http://www.thuringermeats.com/ and the place is amazing. I actually drive nearly 60 miles each way to buy meat there sometimes. Yeah it's THAT good!

I have never seen anything like that locally. But, even if I did I would not buy it because it breaks one of my golden rules. I NEVER buy pre marinated meat/food.

I stay away from the pre marinated stuff as well. If for no other reason than they are charging you $6.55 a lb for the marinade.

Actually I am going to throw a fly in the ointment here. The ONLY place I will buy pre-marinated meats is at Thuringer. Literally just bought some yesterday PM. They make a wonderful marinated tenderloin tip. They had just made some shish ka bobs yesterday and they looked too good to pass up so I bought some. I don't know what they marinate with but it is wholesome and delicious and for what I am doing tonight (pot luck at our bible study group) they make my life easier

Our local Sam's has had non pre marinated tri tips for years. Always a pretty good price but they have gone up. Tri tip was my late father's favorite cut.

Back