Summit S-470 and 670

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Never crossed my mind I might want one of these beasts until I saw one.
I would really like some of your opinions on these.
Quality? How long would a 20# tank last?
Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!!
10 year warranty?

They are very nice grills but the main culprit IMO is the cabinet since Weber used cheap steel on that area...they will rust out over time if not taken care of. Very poor decision on Weber's part if you ask me for a grill that costs thousands brand new.

if you do decide to get one take the cabinet apart and paint it with rustroliam paint just to stay ahead of the game just to be safe

if you do decide to get one take the cabinet apart and paint it with rustroliam paint just to stay ahead of the game just to be safe
I don t the ink that’s going to happen, I’m more curious if the quality can justify $2700. The one I saw was really nice looking but I don’t spend too much time on it. I can say 9mm stainless rods look bad ***. The lid and interior of the grill box looked good, I did not spend time on the cabinet.

Bruno,

I guess I am getting a reputation for my disdain for these big monsters. What bugs me the most is that they command the price of a high-end grill but are full of compromises. #1 is the cheap painted steel used in the cabinetry. As others have noted, these can rust out horribly. #2 or really another #1 is that for whatever reason, Weber opted to use a firebox that is only partially aluminum. The rest is porcelain plated steel. Guaranteed to start cracking and in no time start rusting which leads to burn-through holes in the front where the burner tubes go in. NOT safe :oops:!

IMG_4299.jpeg

I started out thinking these were really cool and imagined myself captaining this huge Weber starship. Now I see them as bloated, poorly made monstrosities that use dubious gadgets and frills to cover their poor construction. This is what I did with two of these beasts that I finally gave up any hope of restoration:

IMG_0697 (1).jpeg
A fitting end as far as I was concerned...If you really want a big stainless gas grill, my suggestion is that you look for a deal on a used Wolf, Lynx or FireMagic where the construction is all 304 stainless, as it should be for a high end grill. I am really hoping that Weber has a QUALITY Summit II in the works. It is overdue.

I have the black, four burner E-470. I use it all the time and love it. A 20# tank lasts me a while. I bought 3 refill tanks in Early December and I’m on the third one now, just to give you a general idea. I gotta do a good cleaning soon, as a couple of my burners don’t snap to life like normal, but I love mine fwiw.

Cee El,

I need to temper my comments by saying that I have no doubt that these grills cook extremely well when everything is working. I also like the way the black ones look. Very sharp. I guess I would agree with the recommendations to keep that cabinetry clean and dry and do rust proofing wherever possible. Also keep a close eye on that firebox. But most of all, ENJOY grilling! I didn't mean for my bad restoration experiences to be a slam on a grill you are enjoying; I just wish that Weber had used better materials fitting for their top of the line grill.

Cee El,

I need to temper my comments by saying that I have no doubt that these grills cook extremely well when everything is working. I also like the way the black ones look. Very sharp. I guess I would agree with the recommendations to keep that cabinetry clean and dry and do rust proofing wherever possible. Also keep a close eye on that firebox. But most of all, ENJOY grilling! I didn't mean for my bad restoration experiences to be a slam on a grill you are enjoying; I just wish that Weber had used better materials fitting for their top of the line grill.
No worries. I’ve not noticed any rust, but I do keep an eye out, and that’s because of what I’ve read here from some of your posts. I’ll be honest, I didn’t pay anywhere near full price, so I’m happy just to even say I own one outright, especially getting it brand new. I have an old school genesis that was a restoration I never completed, but it’s been sitting since the Summit showed up. It’s probably my Go-to grill in my collection.

So I'm curious from you experts. Regarding the steel within the firebox will it rust-through from heat and food contaminants, regardless of whether or not a Summit is stored indoors. I don't store my collection in the family room but I do keep most of them in the unfinished walkout basement.

I wouldn't think the cabinetry would be at risk but If I ever considered a Summit would it be your opinion I would experience catastrophic failure in the firebox with it being stored indoors?

Bruno - I hope you don't mind my question on your thread.

Thanks

Bruno - I hope you don't mind my question on your thread.

Thanks
Not at all, good question. I was really looking to hear from guys like Jon and Bruce as well. I’m disappointed a $2700 grill isn’t bulletproof.

I don’t need one necessarily but that hasn’t stopped me before.🙃

Bruno, one thing we have going for us is our low humidity, relatively low rainfall climate here in the SF Bay Area. I think it helps grills last longer.

Chris, I always thought SF was humid and foggy a lot. Hmmm, the low humidity will help a lot. Keeping inside a garage when not used will help a lot. But the heat will still likely cause the ceramic coating on the burner panels to crack and allow not only what moisture in that is present, but also drippings and splatter from your food. It is too bad, but it is probably a grill you will want to baby.

There are 2 issues at at hand with the Summit fire box rust issue. One has nothing to do with climate or place stored the other does but both combine to make the problem.
The Summit fire box is porcelain just like the lids on most of our Genesis grills. And other than fading we can see that they're pretty bulletproof. But they have some things going for them. Generally flat sheets of steel, no direct flame exposure unlike the fire box which is a convoluted piece. Especially at the front. Here is where the issue(s) are. It's a piece of mild steel. Holes and bends are stamped into it. This causes the steel to change shape a lot as heat/cool cycles take place. Well, that's fine for the steel but not good for the brittle porcelain. Porcelain does not "flex" or "move". It's basically glass. So fissures begin to develop. Once that happens it's all over. Moisture, drippings (acids) begin to work their way in and under the porcelain. If you look at these fire boxes the issue always shows up just over the burner ports.
Now perhaps being in a dry climate helps because not as much moisture and condensation gets into the fissures. But, the damage does get done. It just takes longer to show up as rust out.

Never crossed my mind I might want one of these beasts until I saw one.
I would really like some of your opinions on these.
Quality? How long would a 20# tank last?
Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!!
10 year warranty?
There is a great deal on FB if you want one and don't live too far away. If it is in good shape it makes a great flip as one of these was my most profitable flips. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/449209819756906?ref=saved&referral_code=null

Back