Summit S-450 score

MartyB

TVWBB Member
Managed to haul home this 2007 Summit S-450 “battleship” (man its heavy!)
A couple dings in the cabinet, but overall in great shape.
Previous owner said the rotisserie burner and side burner didn’t work (they work fine).
Thermometer and light don’t however and the rotisserie rod was all rusty (necessary parts ordered)

2 things I need to work on.
The top front edge of the firebox has a couple small rust spots on the very edge. Any ideas how to arrest this?
And the cast aluminum sides of the firebox and lid need a really good cleaning and repaint.
Has anyone found a good high temp paint color match for the light grey on SS grills?

F8AC52E7-649E-4C97-8C8A-BCFC091BD81A.jpeg

Try finding this at Tractor Supply. I've seen it other places, but for a ton more money.

1591757283031.png

Nice score! Just take care of the cabinet as that is the weakest part of it due to the cheap steel Weber used.

This is excellent paint for frames. Not sure that it is high heat though. I order mine from Home Depot and order a 6 pack of it. It's really good paint. I also use this on lower racks of Performers.

Glad you mentioned that, Kyle. I had frame on the brain, not high heat.

Not quite free. But after seeing the condition of it overall and what a few others on craigslist were going for, the $250 made it feel like a steal.

Other than a couple dings, the cabinet is in superb shape, one of the reasons I jumped on it.
Thanks for that paint suggestion. I may get some to keep on-hand for the cabinet if it starts to show any decay.

I found this out there for a high-temp paint. Color is "Aluminum". Spendy, but could be a good match for the castings paint.
paint.jpg

You might find this helpful

You might find this helpful

Thanks for that!
Gives me plenty of thinking to do.

Managed to haul home this 2007 Summit S-450 “battleship”
I think yours is at least a 2009 model year grill. That's the first year for the Tuck Away rotisserie shown in your photo. In 2007 and 2008, Summit had a bracket that fastened to the side of the cookbox from which you hung the rotisserie motor, similar to Genesis grills of that period.

Here's a photo of Summit S-450 from the 2007 catalog. You can see the older style rotisserie...not the same as yours.

2007-summit-450.jpg

I think yours is at least a 2009 model year grill. That's the first year for the Tuck Away rotisserie shown in your photo. In 2007 and 2008, Summit had a bracket that fastened to the side of the cookbox from which you hung the rotisserie motor, similar to Genesis grills of that period.

Here's a photo of Summit S-450 from the 2007 catalog. You can see the older style rotisserie...not the same as yours.

View attachment 6706

Yup, you’re right. I was distracted by the big “2007” on the sticker. Serial number starts with DE which makes it an 09.

I picked up a 2007 s-620 last summer. The cook box was rusted like yours. I called Weber, sent them a couple of pictures of the rust, and they sent me a brand new cook box. You Just never know!

Those are the pix I sent of the cook box rust to Weber. They have great customer support. Good luck!

Actually, I just sent them some pictures of the pitted aluminum castings. Once I get a rep on the line, I'll discuss some of the other rust. Yes, the little spots of rust I've got look just like yours.

Well :poop:.
You guys got me thinking, and me thinking is never a good thing.
Tore further into the front of the firebox and found what everyone has been warning me about.

Going to give Weber a call tomorrow and see if they'll do anything about it.
If not, the wife told me to sell it or junk it and buy a new one with all the features I want.
Could be looking at a Napoleon Prestige for the IR Rotisserie burner (need to read up more on the loopholes for that lifetime warranty).

20200614_093057_resized.jpg

Well, talked to Weber this morning. A very emphatic "The warranty is non-transferable. But we'd be happy to sell you a new firebox."
Knowing about the rust I can't in good conscience sell the grill as-is. With the grates, burners and igniters under 2 years old, maybe I can get something for them to cover part of this boondoggle.

Back