Gray Paint Options for 3XX Grills

Ralph Meyer

TVWBB Fan
All, I wanted to consolidate in one post the forum’s info and my experience with gray paint for 3XX grills, especially the firebox/endcaps, which are now being in need of paint more often. While black is an option for black grills, I think most would prefer something closer to stock for most of the other colors. I recently sold a grill and made a little profit and decided that since my grill activity is pretty much a not-for-profit enterprise that I would to test out paints I so I could see them with my own eyes. I hope everyone will add with their experience.

Recommendations:
Firebox/Endcaps-VHT Flame Proof Cast Iron is the closest match to the original paint and should look acceptable for all grill colors

Frame/panel pieces-Use the VHT for those subject to heat and Rustoleum Farm and Implement Massey Ferguson Gray for the rest. Any of the paint options that have a Massey Ferguson color should be acceptable.

Gray Firebox Options-

VHT Flame Proof-Cast Iron. Of my experience, this is the best option I’ve found. I have a love/hate experience with it as some of the parts I’ve used it on look really good, others not so much. This paint has some metallic in it, so can look a little different depending on angle. The base color is a nice complement to the original color and I thought it looked fine on the stainless 330. I also found if applying a little dry it would build up and little particles flake off when rubbed. But it still looked pretty good

As shown on cookbox in this picture by another forum member.

Z0oauNE.jpg

On the left of this endcap next to original paint in the middle.
usHyqjM.jpg

And some shots of the 330 I used it on. Notice the white (or dark depending on angle) on the left side of the firebox. This is where my initial coat was either too wet or too dry, and it never would cover correctly during that paint session. I put on numerous coats to no effect. Instructions for this paint call for 10 minutes between coats and all coats within 1 hour, otherwise wait 7 days to repaint. I’m sure I could have waited for the 7 day window for repaint to cover it and have it look good, but I’m too impatient for that. It really looks better in person than the pictures

L7sIF6A.jpg

Notice in this shot the endcap is very smooth, while the box, where I built up many coats, has a much rougher finish.
rfM4jUK.jpg

Stove Bright Charcoal. This is much darker than the original gray. I was very impressed how well it covered. Very easy to get a good finish. Here it is on the right next to the original paint in the middle.
usHyqjM.jpg

And here’s a shot where Bruce used on a firebox
e627oaW.jpg

It looked very nice on the Blue Grill he was working on-
5IwG9aQ.jpg

POR 15 High Temp Manifold Gray. Also much darker, I used the canned version. I didn’t try to get a good finish once I saw it was much darker than I was interested in. It's on the left here, and that's just Rustoleum High Heat primer on the right.
46q2zO2.jpg

VHT Ford Gray. Bluer shade of gray that doesn’t really match well, but isn’t too visible. I think Jon used this on a firebox but couldn’t find any pictures. Jon, can you dig up some pictures? Not sure I recommend this since its only rated to 550 deg.

High temp silvers are available in Rustoleum and Krylon but are really too bright for the 300s. Here’s a picture as used on an old 310.
Z0L6sc8.jpg

Stove Paint Gloucester Gray. I found the Stove Paint line while surfing for high heat paint and hoped this might be a good match based on the web swatches. Unfortunately, this color only comes in a can and is hideously expensive with super outrageous shipping charges. $70.00 later I had a quart. It’s really more of a light beige rather than any type of gray. Put it on real light over some Stove Bright Charcoal and it might be perfect!! Here’s where I started with it before deciding I was wasting my time.
nkh4Qm7.jpg

Duplicolor Ford Engine Gray, and I assume all duplicolor paints will not hold up to firebox temps. DO NOT USE.

Last edited:
Gray Paint Options for 3XX Grills - Continued

Frame Paint Options

For those parts of the frame subject to heat, the VHT Flame Proof Cast Iron is probably the best choice. I shot some on the interior side of the rear cross-member of this frame where the firebox had rubbed off the original paint.
2LDh1Ux.jpg

There are several good options for the rest of the frame.
Krylon Color Max-Gloss Machinery Gray,
Valspar tractor & implement paint in Massey Ferguson gray
Rustoleum Farm and Implement Massey Ferguson Gray

These have all been found to be close matches. I have used only the Rustoleum, which I picked up at a local Tractor Supply. Here’s the Rustoleum MF Gray on only the bottom tray of this 300. It has just the slightest difference in tint. In front on the first picture and as assembled.
Ipd8Lr1.jpg

cGRJ7Ke.jpg

If this has not been enough, the following threads have additional information/pictures somewhere within them:
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73307-Got-carried-away
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74336-Found-3xx-Genesis-Gray-Color-Match
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73906-Genesis-E-310-2007-Help
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73961-Genesis-E310-gray-paint-what-do-you-use
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78057-Another-question-on-high-heat-paint
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?75...int-on-a-2005-Genesis-Platinum-(Grey-Firebox)
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78583-Cook-Box-Paint

Yah, great work there Ralph. So, bottom line, which paints would you recommend on the firebox and end caps to get heat resistance and color match?
Which paints would you recommend for the other parts?

Bruce, I updated the first post to add:
Recommendations:
Firebox/Endcaps-VHT Flame Proof Cast Iron is the closest match to the original paint and should look acceptable for all grill colors

Frame/panel pieces-Use the VHT for those subject to heat and Rustoleum Farm and Implement Massey Ferguson Gray for the rest. Any of the paint options that have a Massey Ferguson color should be acceptable.

Perfect, thanks Ralph. Do you have links to your source for those paints? It might something to add to the Weber parts sticky as well.

Ralph,
Very appreciative of your above and beyond efforts to give us valuable comparisons. Hurricane insanity and other problems have stalled my stainless grate video. I probably need to just publish my results here.

Movie making may not be feasible right now. Our organization went from having to prepare our own community for potential disaster to now doing relief efforts in Grand Bahama where we have personal relationships with people who have lost literally everything. Basic human and health needs now. Lots of rebuilding work teams sure to come. I may finally get my Caribbean trip after all. Seriously, it is a terrible situation. Some of you may have seen where I posted that some students in our small college are from the hardest hit area and hadn’t heard from family. Our students’ families are all alive, but some of their neighbors are not. All of them lost their homes, vehicles and possessions.

Ralph:

Thank you very much for compiling the gray paint comparisons. Our family has two 2007 Genesis online and one in parts. I envison that both of the ones online will be needing firebox painting in about a year. End caps seem pretty good, but would need to be painted to match the fireboxes. Mine especially will need attention with the amount of smoking I do.

Jon:
Do what you have to do. What a human tragedy in the Bahamas. Hopefully, the British will step up too in the efforts to help these people recover and meet their needs not just short term, but long term as well. Hats off to all that are doing what they can from the U.S. Especially, liked the generosity of the gentleman who bought and shipped the items at a Florida Costco. I hope your college community continues to support those students and families.

A lot of the Amazon reviews are from automotive parts and most mention a curing process. Since the grill will be disassembled when painting, do you guys do any curing?

Do you use the primer and clear coat on any of the frame, sides or fire box?

Trying to get all my materials ordered so I can get mine painted and get cooking on it.

Re: curing process. If the paint calls for a curing process, I simply do that after the grill is fully reassembled by heating the grill up to the required temps. You can alternatively heat them up in your oven...some have done that, but not me.
I only use High temp paint on parts that are exposed to the high heat. The lid, the cook box and on the frame where it is directly next to the cook box. Otherwise, I use Rustoleum 2X gloss black on rest of the frame and other grill parts. I use Rustoleum High Temp Ultra black on the cook box and end caps and the part of the frame adjacent to the cook box. The paint does not require "curing". But if you use some of the other High Temp paints, simply heating it up and cooling the grill according to directions will do that.
I dont use primer unless I am painting over bare metal or other compromised areas. The Rustoleum paints do not require primer of any kind, but you need to make sure you clean the parts very well prior to painting and any exposed rust must be dealt with before painting. The rust either needs to be ground off or treated with an encapsulator before painting.
If you use a paint like the Rustoleum 2X paint in gloss black, you will find that to be very glossy and not require any top coat. The Rustoleum Ultra High temp is a Semi-Gloss, but is still quite shiny and I never use a top coat for that either.

Krylon and others make very similar and quality paints for repainting grills. But I have primarily used the Rustoleum products because they have worked well for me and are readily available and relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
After using the VHT Cast Iron paint, I highly recommend putting a clear coat over the top of it. By itself it’s just a flat looking paint, great color but not very durable and easy to scratch

I was in a big hurry at Home Depot and decided to try this paint and I think it came out fantastic. Just wanted to show another option!

Back