Summit Platinum Rotisserie Burner help.

Again, the gas continues to flow when it flames out… even when holding the valve down which actually bypasses the thermocouple.

Again, the gas continues to flow when it flames out… even when holding the valve down which actually bypasses the thermocouple.
This is what you wrote "the rotisserie burner is not getting gas. If I disconnect the gas line at the burner and turn on the gas I get about 2 seconds of flow, and then nothing. " Just humor us and pull apart the thermocoupler as in the video, try it, and report back. So that can be completely ruled out. Every time I have come across a device with a thermocoupler, it has been the part that has failed. Also some tip over safety switches as well, but doubt your grill has one of those.

If you do what is shown in the video, you will be destroying the t/c whether it is bad or not, and you will have to replace it. You may be better off buying another t/c first and returning it if that is not the problem. What is the price of a thermocouple?

I'm going to step back and let you work with Joe. Good luck!

If you do what is shown in the video, you will be destroying the t/c whether it is bad or not, and you will have to replace it. You may be better off buying another t/c first and returning it if that is not the problem. What is the price of a thermocouple?

I'm going to step back and let you work with Joe. Good luck!
Ed, It is reversible. By popping the end off with the spring then putting it back together it will test it with the thermocoupler unable to cut off the gas. You can then put the spring and retainer back on.

Ed, It is reversible. By popping the end off with the spring then putting it back together it will test it with the thermocoupler unable to cut off the gas. You can then put the spring and retainer back on.
Seems simple enough to try, then, and eliminate the t/c as the problem, although it appears that Bill has bypassed the t/c to his satisfaction.

One of the things we used to do to troubleshoot high-speed assembly and other production machines where things happen too fast to see with the eye is to video the event and then step through the recording frame by frame. We had a digital camcorder on a tripod that would do 60fps and it proved to be very helpful in understanding the nature of the problem.

Seems simple enough to try, then, and eliminate the t/c as the problem, although it appears that Bill has bypassed the t/c to his satisfaction.

One of the things we used to do to troubleshoot high-speed assembly and other production machines where things happen too fast to see with the eye is to video the event and then step through the recording frame by frame. We had a digital camcorder on a tripod that would do 60fps and it proved to be very helpful in understanding the nature of the problem.
Good idea. Most phones can do slow motion.

For some reason Bill is not listening....I can't imagine it being anything other than the thermocoupler. They went bad on my Genesis 5, my indoor propane heater, numerous outdoor patio heaters that I have repaired. I would be very surprised if it were anything else. He can buy a new one from Amazon or at least disable it to test it out. I posted the video on how to do it.
With the burner on and working fine, I disconnect the thermocouple and the gas shuts off burner goes out. I again removed the control valve, disassembled, cleaned and reassembled, same result.

I’m now leaning towards the burner itself being the issue, the ceramic is cracked in one area on the bottom, the orifice/Venturi is fixed and not adjustable. My only other experience with an IR burner is the Sideburner on my Broil King, and it works great.

Attachments

• 9952C40F-BAF4-47C1-BA2A-7D371739A4CF.jpeg
    9952C40F-BAF4-47C1-BA2A-7D371739A4CF.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 10
Everything is expensive on these grills. I probably wouldn’t use the rotisserie anyway, but just looking at it knowing it’s not working bothers me. Lol
They are cool grills when everything is working. But like a high-end car, they are harder and more expensive to keep that way. And for older Summits like the very nice Platinum model, you are pretty much orphaned. So, sometimes even if you are willing to spend there still is no easy answer. I think this is why whenever these grills are posted so many responses are "watch out" or even "run!" I have a 1st generation Summit I hope to bring back to 100% and realize that this is no sure thing. At least it is simpler than this Platinum and certainly than the current generation oversized starship model. Mine is totally orphaned. Ask Larry who I bought it from!

I don't think it being cracked has anything to do with it. I went through the same issues and it was my safety valve. (or whatever the thing the TC goes into is called). I pulled the entire works disassembled the valve, made sure it tripped when the bulb heated and reinstalled. No issue since

They are cool grills when everything is working. But like a high-end car, they are harder and more expensive to keep that way. And for older Summits like the very nice Platinum model, you are pretty much orphaned. So, sometimes even if you are willing to spend there still is no easy answer. I think this is why whenever these grills are posted so many responses are "watch out" or even "run!" I have a 1st generation Summit I hope to bring back to 100% and realize that this is no sure thing. At least it is simpler than this Platinum and certainly than the current generation oversized starship model. Mine is totally orphaned. Ask Larry who I bought it from!
By "orphaned", do you mean you can't buy an original replacement IR burner anymore for pre-2007 summits?

By "orphaned", do you mean you can't buy an original replacement IR burner anymore for pre-2007 summits?
Using that expression to me means that the manufacturer is no longer making many of the replacement parts, and therefore support is becoming non-existent. Whether you can get that rear IR burner, I don't know, but many parts for the old Summits are no longer available. My first generation model is almost completely unsupported at this point.

@Bill Pudim, shipping may be an issue, but I'm about to start parting out the D6 I picked up last month. I'm told everything worked on this grill, though I haven't tested it out since I don't have an NG hookup..... (not sure if I can test it with LP?)

Anyway, I'd be happy to send you whatever you need from the rotisserie burner setup for shipping cost......for that matter, if there's anything else you're looking for from this grill, let me know. I"m going to pirate the ignition setup, side tables, and side burner for my D4, the rest is "up for grabs".

Let me know.

R

I don't think it being cracked has anything to do with it. I went through the same issues and it was my safety valve. (or whatever the thing the TC goes into is called). I pulled the entire works disassembled the valve, made sure it tripped when the bulb heated and reinstalled. No issue since
There is no safety valve, the TC connects directly to the control valve. The TC operates correctly as far as I can tell, when it puffs out(with a ball of flame) the gas continues to flow until the TC shuts it down. I have tried it countless times expecting different results, yes I’m insane. It has remained lit from 6 minutes to 13 minutes before going out. I have changed tanks and regulator with the same results. If I attempt to restart soon after a flameout it will light and flameout within seconds.

Attachments

• DC4DE2FA-1443-4627-8891-70E15A3B1C56.jpeg
    DC4DE2FA-1443-4627-8891-70E15A3B1C56.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 5
That does sound like a Thermocouple issue. I haven't read the entire thread, but I think it is possible to delete or bypass the thermocouple. Have you tried that yet?

I have bypassed the thermocouple by depressing the control knob. By depressing the control knob, the valve is completely open. Same result.

At this point, I would simply delete the thermocouple. I am pretty sure others have done that on this forum and there are probably some instructions. Other than that, I just have no idea what could be wrong.

Other than replacing the valve with a standard valve that attaches to the manifold and has a threaded connection for the gas line going to the burner, not sure that valve exists.

Back