Summit Platinum Rotisserie Burner help.

Is the IR burner original and matched for the type of fuel you are using? The IR burners have different part numbers depending upon the fuel source. I don't know what the difference is, but it may be the source of your problem.

This is an effective way to bypass it but keep in mine just how absolutely dangerous it is to do. Most times when running rotisserie burner you will keep 2 outside burners under the grates turned on as "helpers". If the IR burner goes out and gas keeps flowing KABOOM fireball.

This is an effective way to bypass it but keep in mine just how absolutely dangerous it is to do. Most times when running rotisserie burner you will keep 2 outside burners under the grates turned on as "helpers". If the IR burner goes out and gas keeps flowing KABOOM fireball.
Now think of all the grills including the Wolf that does not have cross over tubes that you could say the same thing about. Also I pull off the little retainer, so theoretically you could use it to diagnose the issue and reassemble, if you wanted to.

Now think of all the grills including the Wolf that does not have cross over tubes that you could say the same thing about. Also I pull off the little retainer, so theoretically you could use it to diagnose the issue and reassemble, if you wanted to.
Different. I have had burner(s) blow out on the Wolf BUT when they're adjacent to each other they will "relight". Yes it will make a little "whoompf" but it will not be a fireball. Unlike the amount of gas you would build up with a burner so far away. There is really no justifying that situation. It WOULD be dangerous especially to someone simply lifting the grill lid. The fireball coming back at you would be terrible

It does have a thermocouple that works. so when the burner snuffs itself out, the gas does shut off

Yeah, I’m stymied, lol. It’s a steel box with a tube inside and a ceramic side, gas line and fitting with an orifice, seems simple. It starts, seems to function properly, and after about 5-6 minutes, woof! Gas continues to flow for a few seconds until the thermocouple shuts it down. When I get the new lid, I’m going to dismantle the grill, and reassemble it one last time. Maybe I’m missing something that I can’t see.

Yeah, I’m stymied, lol. It’s a steel box with a tube inside and a ceramic side, gas line and fitting with an orifice, seems simple. It starts, seems to function properly, and after about 5-6 minutes, woof! Gas continues to flow for a few seconds until the thermocouple shuts it down. When I get the new lid, I’m going to dismantle the grill, and reassemble it one last time. Maybe I’m missing something that I can’t see.
Did you try to disable the thermocoupler like in the video and test it? You can then see if that is shutting it down.

Bill, I know nothing about IR burners.

When it flames out, will it re-light again right away, or do you have to let it cool down?

And does the gas continue to flow after it flames out, so it's not an interruption of fuel delivery causing the flame out? Do you get a whoomp! when you re-light?

Another test might be to have other burners lit and watch for a change when it flames out. If no change then it's local to the IR burner.

For some reason Bill is not listening....I can't imagine it being anything other than the thermocoupler. They went bad on my Genesis 5, my indoor propane heater, numerous outdoor patio heaters that I have repaired. I would be very surprised if it were anything else. He can buy a new one from Amazon or at least disable it to test it out. I posted the video on how to do it.

For some reason Bill is not listening....I can't imagine it being anything other than the thermocoupler. They went bad on my Genesis 5, my indoor propane heater, numerous outdoor patio heaters that I have repaired. I would be very surprised if it were anything else. He can buy a new one from Amazon or at least disable it to test it out. I posted the video on how to do it.
It appears that he has ruled out the t/c.
It does have a thermocouple that works. so when the burner snuffs itself out, the gas does shut off
If the gas flow continues immediately after a flameout, as this implies to me, I think it's safe to say it's not the t/c, don't you agree? The burner snuffs out, then the gas shuts off, not the reverse, is how I interpret this.

So maybe the question to ask is, immediately following a flameout, what steps do you take to re-light the burner? I agree with Joe, the most obvious thing would be the t/c and that should be ruled out first.

Last edited:
It appears that he has ruled out the t/c.

If the gas flow continues immediately after a flameout, as this implies to me, I think it's safe to say it's not the t/c, don't you agree? The burner snuffs out, then the gas shuts off, not the reverse, is how I interpret this.

So maybe the question to ask is, immediately following a flameout, what steps do you take to re-light the burner? I agree with Joe, the most obvious thing would be the t/c and that should be ruled out first.
That is how it works when it works. When it is defective the gas will not stay on. The problem you seem to have.

Back