summit deal?

JimZ

TVWBB Super Fan
summit.jpg

Looking at a 10-year-old SS summit that looks clean. It's built into an island with a separate side burner. All works no rust asking $400. Seem like a good deal for a poss flip?

Last edited:
I am the wrong guy to ask. I just don't like these generation 3 Summit grills. Too big, too heavy and too complicated. Add to that the fact that the cabinetry is just painted steel that usually rusts out and even worse the firebox which has porcelain covered steel front and back. This almost inevitably starts cracking and then rust and burn-through follow in due time.

If you are really interested in this beast, I would do a careful inspection of the firebox looking for signs of burn-through and, of course, the cabinet insides.

This is what I did with two of my Summit projects (and a couple other junkers) that I gave up on. I salvaged the grates and a few parts for my trouble...

IMG_0697 (2).jpeg

Last edited:
I am the wrong guy to ask. I just don't like these generation 3 Summit grills. Too big, too heavy and too complicated. Add to that the fact that the cabinetry is just painted steel that usually rusts out and even worse the firebox which has porcelain covered steel front and back. This almost inevitably starts cracking and then rust and burn-through follow in due time.

If you are really interested in this beast, I would do a careful inspection of the firebox looking for signs of burn-through and, of course, the cabinet insides.

This is what I did with two of my Summit projects (and a couple other junkers) that I gave up on. I salvaged the grates and a few parts for my trouble...

View attachment 12645
That answers my question! Thanks Jon. You would think at that price these things would have been built better.

That answers my question! Thanks Jon. You would think at that price these things would have been built better.
I think that weber thought they had a winner and just didn't do enough testing before putting the grill into production.

I would like to see them put out a Summit grill with a fully aluminum cook box. I am sure that would raise the price a bit though. But, it would do a lot for their reputation IMO, rather than a smattering of older Summit owners scattered across the country with unusable $2000+ grills.

I am really hoping for a class act Summit II that will use quality stainless and cast aluminum for the firebox. Hopefully, it will take some cues from the Genesis II line that brought back some of the things we liked in the older Genesis grills. I would love to see a modern take on the first generation Summit.

View attachment 12645

🤔
You wouldn’t happen to have the LHS and bottom panels for the 670, would you? All four panels could need replacing on mine.
Four decent casters?
Rotisserie motor, shaft, and forks?
Side burner gas line?
IR burner assembly?

Back