such a dummy

Apparently you cannot according to Sikkens support do a second coat. I noticed it leaves a type waxy residue. I thought the stuff was just an oil penetrant so really unsure how this stuff works. I have to wait another 24 hours for safely walking on it so I will see.

Stripping may not really be the right word? I spray on a deck cleaner that includes bleach, let it sit, scrub it with a push broom, and then rinse it off. That cleaning and scrubbing does "strip" off the remnants of the prior clear water sealer in addition to cleaning the deck.

It works well but it's time consuming and it has to dry for 48 to 72 hours before I can reseal it. It's a general pain in the *** but I'm sure it's why our deck has lasted 40 years.

My old deck was original to the house from 1981. I put a latex sold stain on it maybe 15 to 20 years ago and never did it again. It was looking so bad, didn't function well and a couple boards had soft spots so we stripped off the rails and entire set of decking boards. The structure was still good though so we simply rebuilt on top.

Apparently you cannot according to Sikkens support do a second coat. I noticed it leaves a type waxy residue. I thought the stuff was just an oil penetrant so really unsure how this stuff works. I have to wait another 24 hours for safely walking on it so I will see.

Sikkens support was correct I read the instructions for that product one coat only.

So because I had to start and stop and had the heavy dew episode I see why they say that. I think my deck is protected but the finish is not "even" so I don't have the nice even look I was expecting on the deck boards. It has some areas you can see where it's obvious I went twice and they're a little "shiny" rather than just looking like stained wood. I'm so worn out I don't know if I care. I think the deck will be fine until the next time. Hopefully the stain that's left will stay good for 2 years or so (or maybe until next year) and perhaps I'll power clean it and do it again. I have enough left to do it

As my wife’s son says to his children,” Crap in a hat!” I’m glad you dodged a bullet too Larry!
I have expanded my brick patio once and see that I just did it go quite far enough, I will only do a small elevated deck after I replace the French doors at the back of my house after I get the thumbs up from the office of finance!
That will not need to be large maybe 10x12’ at most.
I will want to run some juice out there for illumination, the gasser might get “upper deck” location but, until I build, I will not commit.

I'm sorry you are having all that trouble Larry.

That's why when or if I have to replace my deck it would be so nice if it was the composite material and didn’t have to mess with maintenance. Higher cost but might be worth it when you consider the cost and aggravation of the maintenance of real wood over the years.

So because I had to start and stop and had the heavy dew episode I see why they say that. I think my deck is protected but the finish is not "even" so I don't have the nice even look I was expecting on the deck boards. It has some areas you can see where it's obvious I went twice and they're a little "shiny" rather than just looking like stained wood. I'm so worn out I don't know if I care. I think the deck will be fine until the next time. Hopefully the stain that's left will stay good for 2 years or so (or maybe until next year) and perhaps I'll power clean it and do it again. I have enough left to do it

You probably have this pdf but will attach it anyway. What product did you use if you go thru the pdf if you used Cetol Deck Finish it actually says you can use 2 coats a minimum 24 hours before the 2nd application. I would also do yourself a favor and use a brush the next time you do it, way better coverage with the brush. Its frustrating I know but maybe the best thing is to leave it be for a few years or test a spot where it may not be a problem. This only pertains to the Cetol Deck Finish all the other ones definitely say one coat.

https://www.perfectwoodstains.com/PDF/sikkens_proluxe_training_manual.pdf

I'm sorry you are having all that trouble Larry.

That's why when or if I have to replace my deck it would be so nice if it was the composite material and didn’t have to mess with maintenance. Higher cost but might be worth it when you consider the cost and aggravation of the maintenance of real wood over the years.

Pretty much the way I intend to go myself, getting a quote in the winter I went to a Sherwin Williams solid deck stain years ago its latex based so a 4 hour dry time and then it can be re-coated then needs to sit a few days its called SuperDeck know they used to call it something else. ATL tough on decks also because of the sun and humidity but I can get a bit over 2 years when I do it.

The good is if you have the right weather you can be done in a day, they also make a clear and a semi which I have not used.

The product Larry used is highly regarded though.

You probably have this pdf but will attach it anyway. What product did you use if you go thru the pdf if you used Cetol Deck Finish it actually says you can use 2 coats a minimum 24 hours before the 2nd application. I would also do yourself a favor and use a brush the next time you do it, way better coverage with the brush. Its frustrating I know but maybe the best thing is to leave it be for a few years or test a spot where it may not be a problem. This only pertains to the Cetol Deck Finish all the other ones definitely say one coat.

https://www.perfectwoodstains.com/PDF/sikkens_proluxe_training_manual.pdf

I did use Cetol but I used the Cetol SRD RE formula translucent stain because I really wanted the wood to show through. I will have to study that PDF because the Sikkens rep I spoke to thought I might need to strip it down. I have enough left to do it BTW. I tried brushing but I found I got better results with the sprayer (when it was working) and then following up where the application was uneven with the brush doing a back brush. I'll have to post photos of it. Overall I think it looks nice but you can definitely see where the sprayer began acting up and where I had issues from the fog/dew and such. Sadly it's on the most visible part of the deck (the traffic surface) the rails and stairs turned out really nice
Also I could never make the deck maint free because the only place I could use those synthetic boards is on the floor. I would still need to maintain rails and stiles and stairs. Which really are the hardest part to do anyway

Last edited:
Larry go thru it but it looks like the Cetol SRD is one coat only.

My deck will not be totally maintenance free either all the walking surfaces will be composite if I decide to go that way but right now my balusters are painted same color as the trim on the house because they are vertical they hold up pretty well think I got 5 years on it since I did them last.

Also thinking of doing these my neighbor did.

https://www.decksdirect.com/deckora...kEAQYAyABEgKAgvD_BwE#729=1054&730=845&732=873

So here are some photos showing progress from starting the project Sunday PM until "finish?" on Tuesday. Overall I think it looks decent and I realize the stain will not show equally due to variations in the wood, density, grain pattern and so on. But if you look closely you can see where I had trouble due to the need to overlap and the malfunctioning sprayer. Overall I think the deck is protected against the weather now but cosmetically I am just a little unhappy with the floor. I guess I could strip it (the floor) and buy a better quality sprayer and redo the floor with the stain I have left. But than I fall into the same trap of sketchy weather again and possibly not being able to complete properly yet again and maybe have it even worse. If I could have moved that monstrosity Wolf off the deck I would most likely not be in this situation. But the damn thing is WAY too big to fit through the patio door. It needs to be broken down and the pieces are still so heavy it takes two big guys to get it moved. When I put it out there my neighbor and I grunted, groaned and sweated out a$$es off bring the pieces out there. Now he's moved to MI and I cannot count on wife or daughter LOL

hNIFa3F.jpg

3aXPssR.jpg

QJ0U17w.jpg

SLL0L0N.jpg

2pISoS8.jpg

Diwj7FK.jpg

pyxjFcY.jpg

LFP0W6J.jpg

OPdrjwF.jpg

QhnHK7S.jpg

Enjoy your deck Larry. I cannot see anything worth stressing over. Looks great in fact.

I made a mistake with over spray once...it was with red spray paint (A pretty sparkle red.)
Anyways I was into RC planes and wanted to paint one of them with a red and white flame pattern (which is currently hanging on my wall).
I get everything on the plane tapped off and go to the garage and get my painting on.
I did not think anything of it but my black mustang I had at the time was in the garage with the door closed. A couple days later I am looking at my car from the 4th floor of the office I worked in and noticed the front part looked a little red which was weird. At lunch I go down there and look....yeap overspay! All over the front of that car. It looked like a bright black cherry, kind of pretty actually. Using a clay bar I got most of it off. But it was a pain!

You could have simply told people the stang was pearl black :D I had a motorcycle painted like that many years ago. People would fall all over themselves trying to figure just what color it actually was. Thanks on the deck all. The more it "cures" the better it's looking. So I think I will let it ride see what next year brings. I am a little over loaded with repairs and issues anyway. Daughter went to use laundry and dryer died. Just got in from buying a new one, working with HVAC contractors now on getting a complete new HVAC system installed. Many this has been an expensive year

You could have simply told people the stang was pearl black :D I had a motorcycle painted like that many years ago. People would fall all over themselves trying to figure just what color it actually was. Thanks on the deck all. The more it "cures" the better it's looking. So I think I will let it ride see what next year brings. I am a little over loaded with repairs and issues anyway. Daughter went to use laundry and dryer died. Just got in from buying a new one, working with HVAC contractors now on getting a complete new HVAC system installed. Many this has been an expensive year

You're telling me...the water pump in my wife's car just went out yesterday so that will have to be replaced, then this morning, I find out that the alternator in my truck is going bad so that will have to be replaced also. They say things come in 3s so now I'm waiting for the third one to happen SMH.

Larry, I think it looks fine also.

I get the expensive year piece mine comes next year. Deck, probably have the house painted and new dishwasher, never ends with a house and I will be retired and no desire to do anything on the house anymore I just write the check.

They say things come in 3s so now I'm waiting for the third one to happen SMH. I just write the check.

I think mine are coming in 9's and I can write the check but there is nothing there behind it :rolleyes:

Back