Strange Spam Call

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
More savvy with 'puters than cell phones so here is my question:

My wife's cell has a specific ringtone set up for when I call her on my cell. Today she got a spam call:

1)using my specific ringtone but
2)it showed a number that was NOT my cell number.

My cell was in my hand so it was not lost and does not show an outgoing call having been made.

I'm aware that spammers can spoof a number when they call you and that spoofed number will show up in call display.

My query though is: it showed a number different from my cell but it used my specific ringtone (no other numbers in her contact list have that ringtone). How can that be?

??

Len at the very least, I would get new phone numbers and special ringtones, if not a new carrier. Just to be on the safe side.

Carrier says in all likelyhood it's a hardware issue with her cell. Gives me some reassurance but In any case, we're changing carriers and getting a new cell in another week as the battery in this one only lasts a day (with NO use) so it's basically useless.

Thanks Bob for "chiming" in ;) .

If it was a free ringtone from Zedge or wherever It could be compromised I guess?

Tim

I ported my home (landline) number (26 years old) to my cell, then dumped the landline....
Having to change my phone number would probably cause me to throw my MFCP away and start up my landline again.

Technology is, in my opinion, getting completely ridiculous. And I'm not liking this BS anymore.

please excuse my choice of foul words.

I worked for the phone company for 36 years...I hate phones! I have a flip cell phone with buttons, no screen, no internet, no texting, no nothing just a phone with a 15 minute monthly plan for emergencies only.Last year I used a total of 22 minutes. I never programmed the voice mail so no idiots can leave messages. My LL is just a basic 1fr no call waiting, voice mail, nothing and a answering machine I shut off during election season.
Thank you I'm done now.

If nothing else, you might find out who is calling by checking:

http://800notes.com/

...and then blocking future calls from that number, but it is an ongoing, laborious task. They are taking over the phone network and no one is doing anything about it because it brings in income to the phone companies. So much for ethics. And fear of harassment.

Last edited:
If nothing else, you might find out who is calling by checking:

http://800notes.com/

...and then blocking future calls from that number, but it is an ongoing, laborious task. They are taking over the phone network and no one is doing anything about it because it brings in income to the phone companies. So much for ethics. And fear of harassment.

Already did that Rita (marketer out of nearby city) with my landline (call display is the best :) ). The trouble with suggestion #2 is I have two separate base sets, each with 30# memory for blocked calls. They're both full and I've resorted to trying to delete old numbers (which really is an impossible task) and adding in the new #. I haven't needed to do it with the cell till now (3 yr into the plan).

I would add to your "ongoing task", it's an impossible task.

Last edited:

Back