Storing cast Iron skillets

I clean mine then hang them.
If not used for a while and dusty, simply rinse with hot water and dry.
sometimes after cleaning them, if the oven is still hot, they go in there until the next day.

Mines sitting on my new boat in the garage. Not ideal but will be moved the weekend. Anxious to hear where to go with them.

After I wipe mine out after using then they go upside down in the oven for about 10 mins at 350ish then in the cupboard.

How do you guys store yours so you don't leave a mess?

About a year or so ago, I ran into a suggestion on how to season cast iron cookware in America's Test Kitchen magazine. It suggested a method of using flax oil vice the usual vegetable oil, lard, etc. Flax oil is far tougher and longer lasting than other seasonings. So, I did it. After use, I use a hot water spray and a plastic scrubby to clean the CI. I dry the cookware with a paper towel and then a regular dish towel. My CI is stored with the rest of my clean pots and pans in a cabinet in the kitchen. Nothing overly special!

I keep mine stacked (I have a lot of them) in a cabinet with a pull-out shelf and one or two are almost always on the range top. I don't do anything special with them as they're so well seasoned they are pretty much indestructable. I just make sure they're dry before putting them away.

I have heard of putting a sheet of paper towel between them when you stack them up but I never do, most of the time two of them are on top of the stove.

Dutch oven in a cabinet has a paper towel between the lid and body...skillets are on the stove or in the oven (unless the oven is being used)....

All my kitchen ones are in a cupboard and all have their own shelf.

The BBQ one is in another cupboard with all the other BBQ bits and pieces.

The 11lt pot and black iron pans are in a deep drawer under the kitchen oven.

Keith

All are spread out between the kitchen and the grills...couple on the stove, few in the cupboard, few hanging, one with oil still on a kettle...Dutch ovens are in the drawer under the stove with paper towel between the lid and body...yep not enough cast iron yet!

Thanks for the input. I read some info on cast too online and I was oiling the whole thing after a cook which was wrong!! Heck we all learn. Thanks for helping me notice this issue!

Thanks for the input. I read some info on cast too online and I was oiling the whole thing after a cook which was wrong!! Heck we all learn. Thanks for helping me notice this issue!

Oh yeah that would be a mess! :). Glad we could help.

I read years ago that the using vegetable oil was not a good idea because if the pans are not used for a while the oil can become rancid. After using my cast iron pans, I wash with hot water and a nylon brush. Then I put it over high heat on my gas range to dry. Then I take a paper towel and a hunk of Crisco and wipe the inside of the pan. Let it heat for a minute and then let it coolbefore hanging on a pot pack.

Back