Still cooking on bullets...after all these years!

J D McGee

TVWBB Pro
And still winning with them too! :wsm: My Grandsons Brenden and Bradley were on hand to share in the moment... Funny story...as they were announcing the RGC my oldest (Brenden) turned to me and said..."there is only one big trophy left Papa John...is that one yours?"...ummm...yep...it was...lol! :cool:

My thanks again to Chris, the TVWBB, and the many members who have contributed over the years...I still refer to it's teachings often! :)

Thanks for the pic Michael!

7981786043_125cb7f8fd_b.jpg

JD, Congratulations on what I'm sure was a WELL-deserved win! :cool:

And I really appreciate your post about it, as well as all your other great posts on this and the brethren site I've noticed. Without giving away any secrets, I'd love to see how you're rolling with the bullets nowadays. As for me, I've tried everything, HH, LnS, wet/dry pan, with and without foiling....and I've ended up doing all of the above, depending on what I'm cooking!

Anyway, I might as well 'fess up. Although I really appreciated you sending me the vent cover for another UDS build a while back, I never got around to it and a buddy sold me his tricked out big 22.5" WSM. So I've been smoking on both my bullets and why would I need anything else?!

Good hearing from ya, and don't make yourself so scarce. :)

Congrats JD! Thanks for sticking to WSM's and showing just how competitive you can be using them.

JD, Congratulations on what I'm sure was a WELL-deserved win! :cool:

And I really appreciate your post about it, as well as all your other great posts on this and the brethren site I've noticed. Without giving away any secrets, I'd love to see how you're rolling with the bullets nowadays. As for me, I've tried everything, HH, LnS, wet/dry pan, with and without foiling....and I've ended up doing all of the above, depending on what I'm cooking!

Anyway, I might as well 'fess up. Although I really appreciated you sending me the vent cover for another UDS build a while back, I never got around to it and a buddy sold me his tricked out big 22.5" WSM. So I've been smoking on both my bullets and why would I need anything else?!

Good hearing from ya, and don't make yourself so scarce. :)

Thanks folks...very much. My wife and I have had a blast over the years and hope to be able to travel around and cook a few more comps outside the Northwest next year. Next up we will be cooking our first American Royal Invitational and Open next month followed by another road trip to Vegas for the World Food Championships in November. Should be a lotta fun!

So...Dave...to answer you question...here is how we roll these days with our bullets. We use 2 18's and 2 22's for each comp.

Brisket...2 14-16 lb packers on a 22 HNF...dry pan.
Butts...2 6-8 lb bone in on an 18 HNF...dry pan.
Chicken...16 thighs 8 ea on an 18 HNF...dry pan.
Ribs...6 racks LNS on a 22 250 degrees full water pan...no foil.

Thanks, JD. Sounds like y'all really got it down, and I'm with ya. Spares or st Louis ribs are the only things I've been using water for lately, as well.

First of all, congratulations. I've got three grandkids and I would love to get them involved....you've got to be smiling ear to ear. Now my question, what is HNF? I've got the LNS figured out and assume HNF means high heat. If so, just how high are you cooking? I have a 22.5 WSM and I'm doing ribs this weekend at a competition in St. Louis....cooking at 275.

Thanks

Thanks folks...:)

Mike...HNF is for Hot-N-Fast...I cook my pork butts, briskets, and chicken @ 325 degrees...ribs are LNS @ 225-250.
Cheers!
JD

Back