Stick immersion blenders - any reccos of buy and/or avoid?

We bought this exact one a couple of months ago after our daughter dropped the old one off the counter. We've used it for frozen smoothies and blending sauces. So far so good. I did a fair amount of research before taking the plunge. I think a combination of the Costco return policy and the $20 discount helped make the final decision. I think the other one I was researching was a Cuisinart.
I don't know much about them. I ordered the Costco one you linked for my wife.We have one...believe it's a Cuisinart. That one will go to the beach house and the new Braun let's me tick a box on the Christmas gift list. The Braun is 500 watts. Seems pretty powerful.

DanHoo

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Made carrot and ginger soup. Blended up it up with the stick blender, yet it was a little too rustic. Dropped it into the waring pro and it smoothed it out very well.

20230116_175859.jpg 20230116_175903.jpg 20230116_180130.jpg

Edit: I guess I should include the recipe. I doubled the ginger, because I like ginger.

Last edited:

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I make stock the same way Steve but, since you’ve extracted the “good” from the veg, why purée before straining? I actually have started making it in the pasta pot and then I can lift the solids easily and send that to the trash with fewer steps. I follow that with a very long reduction cook of four to six hours. I start with about eight quarts and end up with maybe two.
Different approaches to a similar end.

Bob Bailey

TVWBB All-Star
I have a Cuisinart with a couple of heads. The head comes off and is easy to wash. Let me see if I can find a model number. It‘s been a great piece of equipment!
I think it looks like CSB-79. I’ve had it ten years, no problems. I don’t use it daily but, it has done everything I’ve asked of it.
I've got the same one. About 6 years old and the only problem I've had is the measuring flask developed a few cracks over the years and recently started leaking, probably caused by microwave use. It came with a mini food processor a whisk, the immersion blender head and a 500ml measuring flask.

Paid $39.95 for it from Amazon. They're now selling it for $114.99.

Last edited:
We had a basic Cuisinart...blue, no attachments.
That was relegated to beach house duty as I bought this one for my wife for Christmas. Can't report on the usefulness of the various attachments yet. I belive it was $20 less when I ordered it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230117-092617_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117-092617_Chrome.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Guru
Our emersion only does an okay job....I look for an excuse to use any other method than the emersion.
It does will with the bowl type attachment used for chopping I guess to chop the veggies for guac.
The MRS uses it to blend squash soups and such, but I hate it for anything else.
A similar pic to the bowl attachment is in the above post......

Steve Hoch

TVWBB Guru
I make stock the same way Steve but, since you’ve extracted the “good” from the veg, why purée before straining?

I'd expect @Timothy F. Lewis method to yield a much clearer stock, that's the way I generally do it.
I continue to cook the pureed carrots in the stock for the color. I end up with a nice golden colored stock that is pleasing to the eye even if it doesn't taste any better at that point. It is definitely more work but I think it's worth it.

DanHoo

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Made carrot and ginger soup. Blended up it up with the stick blender, yet it was a little too rustic. Dropped it into the waring pro and it smoothed it out very well.

Edit: I guess I should include the recipe. I doubled the ginger, because I like ginger.

doubling the ginger in the recipe made this very gingery. Maybe a bit too much... YGTMV ( Your Ginger Tollerance May Vary )