Stick immersion blenders - any reccos of buy and/or avoid?

We bought this exact one a couple of months ago after our daughter dropped the old one off the counter. We've used it for frozen smoothies and blending sauces. So far so good. I did a fair amount of research before taking the plunge. I think a combination of the Costco return policy and the $20 discount helped make the final decision. I think the other one I was researching was a Cuisinart.
I don't know much about them. I ordered the Costco one you linked for my wife.We have one...believe it's a Cuisinart. That one will go to the beach house and the new Braun let's me tick a box on the Christmas gift list. The Braun is 500 watts. Seems pretty powerful.

Made carrot and ginger soup. Blended up it up with the stick blender, yet it was a little too rustic. Dropped it into the waring pro and it smoothed it out very well.

20230116_175859.jpg20230116_175903.jpg20230116_180130.jpg

Edit: I guess I should include the recipe. I doubled the ginger, because I like ginger.

Last edited:
Your probably right Steve. I followed the recipe since it was my first time cooking it.
I always make chicken stock with carrots, celery, and onion in the pot. They all pretty much fall apart after simmering for a couple of hours and then I blend them in and strain out the solids. It makes for some really good stock.

I make stock the same way Steve but, since you’ve extracted the “good” from the veg, why purée before straining? I actually have started making it in the pasta pot and then I can lift the solids easily and send that to the trash with fewer steps. I follow that with a very long reduction cook of four to six hours. I start with about eight quarts and end up with maybe two.
Different approaches to a similar end.

I have a Cuisinart with a couple of heads. The head comes off and is easy to wash. Let me see if I can find a model number. It‘s been a great piece of equipment!
I think it looks like CSB-79. I’ve had it ten years, no problems. I don’t use it daily but, it has done everything I’ve asked of it.
I've got the same one. About 6 years old and the only problem I've had is the measuring flask developed a few cracks over the years and recently started leaking, probably caused by microwave use. It came with a mini food processor a whisk, the immersion blender head and a 500ml measuring flask.

Paid $39.95 for it from Amazon. They're now selling it for $114.99.

Last edited:
We had a basic Cuisinart...blue, no attachments.
That was relegated to beach house duty as I bought this one for my wife for Christmas. Can't report on the usefulness of the various attachments yet. I belive it was $20 less when I ordered it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230117-092617_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117-092617_Chrome.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1
Our emersion only does an okay job....I look for an excuse to use any other method than the emersion.
It does will with the bowl type attachment used for chopping I guess to chop the veggies for guac.
The MRS uses it to blend squash soups and such, but I hate it for anything else.
A similar pic to the bowl attachment is in the above post......

I make stock the same way Steve but, since you’ve extracted the “good” from the veg, why purée before straining?

I'd expect @Timothy F. Lewis method to yield a much clearer stock, that's the way I generally do it.
I continue to cook the pureed carrots in the stock for the color. I end up with a nice golden colored stock that is pleasing to the eye even if it doesn't taste any better at that point. It is definitely more work but I think it's worth it.

Made carrot and ginger soup. Blended up it up with the stick blender, yet it was a little too rustic. Dropped it into the waring pro and it smoothed it out very well.

Edit: I guess I should include the recipe. I doubled the ginger, because I like ginger.

doubling the ginger in the recipe made this very gingery. Maybe a bit too much... YGTMV ( Your Ginger Tollerance May Vary )

Back