Starting My 2nd Restore: Skyline 1200 LP

Grillparts has the new style for about $22 the pair:
https://www.grillparts.com/weber/silver_b.asp?product_id=99252

Ereplacementparts sells the old ones for $26 per piece:
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/wheel-inch-diameter-p-1475746.html

The cheapest source is probably ebay where you can get a pair of the old style wheels for $40:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Weber-Gr...725409&hash=item5b36b4fffb:g:N4wAAOSwfrJZxYMg

I personally have not seen cheaper offers than $20 per wheel for the old style wheels.

I would either stick with the old ones. Remove the white logo band and paint it white or just find some donor wheels off another grill. I sure wouldn't pay $40 for a pair of new ones. At least Ebay provides two new hub caps. ;)

Get a little straight bleach, dip a #0000 pad of steel wool in it and scrub the wheel and white logo sidewall with that. You will be surprised how well it cleans them up unless they are too far gone and fall apart.

So far I also refused to pay $40 for a pair of wheels. I either removed the white plastic altogether when broken and sold the grill with black wheels or I have sanded and repainted the white plastic ring. But I have also painted the wheels when the plastic ring was not salvageable. I did this for my rat rod kettle where I painted the center red and the walls white.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/H7EwmEVFwm9epkSE9

Last edited:
I followed Larry's advice and removed the teflon. Will bubble test later today. It's now made its way from the garage to the patio. My wife thinks we're selling it, so to appease her, I've put it on Facebook for a super-high price. I'd rather not sell it, so it's been priced to keep. ;) I would never underestimate the lure of a vintage, made the USA grill. It's why most of us are using these grills!

hcQfqmS.jpg

I suspect no interest and I'll be grilling on the Skyline by tomorrow night. Someone is picking up my old Ducane tonight, so one of my restores is going to have meat and heat this weekend.

I sold a skyline last fall for $400. I hope you are above that on your price. BTW, you are missing the swing table. Gotta have that.

I sold a skyline last fall for $400. I hope you are above that on your price. BTW, you are missing the swing table. Gotta have that.

I do have it. TBH, stole one of the shelves from my 2000 for posting purposes. This weekend I plan to fabricate new shelves and the swing table. I've painted all the hardware and have new stainless screws. Just need to cut, stain and spar. If I get a buyer at $500, I'll borrow the set from my 2000.

These are Hongso grates. Nice, but not as thick as the RCPlanebuyer. Both smoke what was on the Ducane I bought from Home Depot a few years back, that also has some rust at the bottom of the firebox - a testament to the quality of these old grills. Thankful I found this forum before dropping significant dollars on a new Weber. So much more rewarding to bring a grill back to life and I'm reminded of it everytime I walk into my backyard.

I followed Larry's advice and removed the teflon. Will bubble test later today. It's now made its way from the garage to the patio. My wife thinks we're selling it, so to appease her, I've put it on Facebook for a super-high price. I'd rather not sell it, so it's been priced to keep. ;) I would never underestimate the lure of a vintage, made the USA grill. It's why most of us are using these grills!

hcQfqmS.jpg

I suspect no interest and I'll be grilling on the Skyline by tomorrow night. Someone is picking up my old Ducane tonight, so one of my restores is going to have meat and heat this weekend.

I like the combination with the wood and the black. I have one as well which I need to restore and where I want to use wood as well instead of the original fake food slats.

It's what I consider to be finished. I do have some smaller things, but in no particular rush. I may touchup the front of the firebox and work on the wheels at some point. Also, I need to change the pitch of the shelf.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Thanks to all on the forum for your help and guidance - and Jon for setting the bar high on Skylines.

Christopher,
I don’t know about setting the bar high, but whatever you have certainly hit it:cool:! That is one really beautiful grill. Consider yourself a full-fledged Skyline Club member. I hope that excellent workmanship is staying on your patio as a keeper!

Beautiful work, that grill looks better than new. I thought my skyline looked good, not so much anymore.

Thanks everyone! I'm addicted. Both are keepers and currently looking at adding charcoal to my arsenal of grills. Also spotted a 2005 Genesis Platinum that would be a nice addition, thought it seems overpriced and I've read the inside is rust prone.

Here's a nice before and after of the Skyline:

Before:

10.jpg

After:

11.jpg

Yah, that is really a sharp looking grill. What paint did you use on the end caps. Is the Rustoleum High Heat Ultra? It is nice to see a skyline without the haze on the top of the lid.

I am working on acquiring another skyline right now. Problem is, it is missing the darn wire condiment basket like so many are. I am trying right now to find out what kind of condition the lid is in.

Yah, that is really a sharp looking grill. What paint did you use on the end caps. Is the Rustoleum High Heat Ultra? It is nice to see a skyline without the haze on the top of the lid.

I think I may have used Krylon on the end caps and frame. I used Rustoleom matte black on the firebox.

Do you by chance know what color to use to match the gray on the 05 Genesis SS Platinum end caps? I have a spare Genesis 1000 frame from a donor grill that's going to the trash. Before it does, I'd be curious to see what it looks like in that gray with the firebox using something more of a matte gray. Could look awful, but I'm willing to drop $15 on some paint to see where it lands. It could look nice paired with a blue lid.

No one has been able to find a real close match to those gray end caps in high heat paint.

What type of Krylon was it. I think I like that better than the Rustoleum High Heat Ultra Semi Gloss I had been using.

Not sure why I have not seen or commented on this thread yet. Very nice job restoring this grill. I especially like the way the shelves came out. It’s too nice to be used if I’m honest.

Back