Starting a new restore. Weber Genesis 1000

Yep, I broke off a bolt. What sucks is that this was the last one to be removed on that cookbox. Ahh well.

@TimA Noted about the Cerakote. I suppose I’ll have to hunt for a place that will do high temp other than the one I called. The Cerakote option seemed good because it would withstand up to 1200 or so. I think the one high heat place I found only went up to 600.

Shower thoughts……why did Weber scrap the additional 8 flavorizer bars on later series of the Genesis? I have seen in later castings of the firebox that the slots for the 8 bars just aren’t there anymore. Cost cutting measure? Of course now it’s only a cover over the burners for most modern cheapies.

Shower thoughts……why did Weber scrap the additional 8 flavorizer bars on later series of the Genesis? I have seen in later castings of the firebox that the slots for the 8 bars just aren’t there anymore. Cost cutting measure? Of course now it’s only a cover over the burners for most modern cheapies.
Absolutely a cost cutting measure. The cookbox was also made shallower, and the tables became one solid piece of plastic instead of individual slats. These grills are still fine cookers but definitely the beginning of Weber's cheapening of their products in my opinion.

Steve and Dinyero,
That’s a couple reasons why it’s special to restore the earlier Genesis grills. It’s the way the original tiny R&D department designed it to be in the first place.

Yep, a good read and confirms even more why I have no use for them after 2011. All the thoughtful engineering went out the window to be like everything else.

Yep, I broke off a bolt. What sucks is that this was the last one to be removed on that cookbox. Ahh well.

@TimA Noted about the Cerakote. I suppose I’ll have to hunt for a place that will do high temp other than the one I called. The Cerakote option seemed good because it would withstand up to 1200 or so. I think the one high heat place I found only went up to 600.
I have, let’s say a couple, guns that are cerakoted. And they scratch or peel so easily (can anyway, I’m very careful but even at that a couple have nicks). It seems cerakote lasts better on plastic for whatever reason. May be wrong

Absolutely a cost cutting measure. The cookbox was also made shallower, and the tables became one solid piece of plastic instead of individual slats. These grills are still fine cookers but definitely the beginning of Weber's cheapening of their products in my opinion.
I don’t know about you, but I see plastic tables I look away. Something about them just doesn’t sit with me….maybe it’s the obvious change from classy wood to boring plastic that bothers me?

My 1998 Gen 1000 LX came with Durawood slats. Twenty five years later they are still on the grill.
My owner's manual for my 1999 1000 LX says, "This environmentally friendly material is made from 100% recycled plastic milk bottles".
They are very durable although certainly not as nice looking as stained wood. The 1000 now a 2000 is a work grill so it's easy to maintain.

For sure, they last arguably forever. But less easily cleaned or repaired. I’ve seen lots of Durawood stained somehow as well as melted a bit, presumably by hot plates or hot tools.

I don’t know. Maybe if a mint one came up I would jump on it.

I’m not above my mind changing. I really was not into gassers until I was on here. I’ve always been a kettle guy and while I still prefer them, I’m hellbent to work on gas until I get results. Have always had a gasser but not really a “oh that’s a nice gas grill” kind of person.

For some reason I read Durawood and in my head I had the full plastic side tables in mind. The Durawood is a guess a happy medium, looks like wood but is more durable. Durawood doesn’t get an almost automatic pass from me ha

Well, picked up my sandblasted parts.

Next up: I need to prep and paint one of the frames and paint the cookbox stuffs and sell off one of these grills. I haven't decided if I'll purchase the complete 13 bar set of replacements for the one for sale, or lookup the SKU for the 5 bar set only. Depending on how the painted one comes out, I may forgo powdercoat and simply do paint on the one I'm keeping, I'm not sure.

Edit: I paid $130 for the sandblasting for all the parts, which I didn't find too unreasonable.

Last edited:
Ok, been trying to leverage Google for searching the forums without great success, has anyone used the Rustoleum high heat in a can to paint the firebox? I want to grill on this thing by next weekend, so just curious of brush or roll on results.

I have seen several use the brush on method to paint the cook box with good results. If you follow the directions, you should be able to grill on it within about 24 hours for sure. Just don't paint inside the cook box.

This is regular high heat. Home Depot didn’t have the Ultra in the 32oz can. Caught a break and purchased a damaged can for $7 discount, so using the regular high heat was worth my while. I bought the Protective enamel semi-glass for the frames, but I’ll wait till the cookboxes are done before I spray. I bought it because it already includes rust inhibitor, but I might just break down and get some POR15 and do it right. I just put the second coat of paint on the cookboxes, but sadly the sun will catch me before I can lay down a 3rd.

Also, those pictures are shortly after application and it hadn’t skimmed over. It dried to touch as more of a matte sheen. I can see why you prefer the rattle cans. Maybe when I get around to getting a compressor and a gun for refinishing our cabinets I can lay out a better finish……but at that time I may not elect to refurbish another grill. Depends on how getting rid of the spare goes!

Do you have Menards stores out there in California? If so, the Rustoleum High Heat paint is a lot cheaper there.

Back