Standing rib roast timing question.

Matthew Jones

I am cooking 2, 3 bone (6lbs each) at 225-250f. If 1 3bone roast takes 3.5-4 hours, how long should I budget for 2? I know it wouldn't double but and I am using a remote thermometer but I need to have an idea when to start the cook. Any thought on timing would be appreciated.

I am smoking a 2 bone rib roast ~ 225 until it hits 125 internal. Then I am going to put it under the broiler for (5) minutes. I am budgeting 3.5 hrs for the smoke. I don't care if it gets done sooner, I'm just ball parking to have my sides ready.

"At a cooking temperature of 225-250°F, the estimated cooking time for a 3-rib roast weighing 6-7 pounds to rare doneness is 3-1/2 to 4 hours, 30-40 minutes per pound."

Given that they are tow same size pieces with reasonable separation between the two (3-4”?) they will simply cook as individual pieces, I wouldn’t overthink it. You are not doing a 12# roast, you’re doing 2-6# roasts. 3.5 hours seems a little long to me but, if that’s where you like them I would proceed as usual, maybe add 15 minutes?

Thank you everyone. Tim that was what I was thinking as well on almost the same time and I pull at 120F and rest. Merry Christmas everyone.

Well,I just picked up an eight pound one @ $7.99/lb. for later enjoyment, the nice woman at the butcher counter double wrapped it for me to slip straight in the freezer!
Merry Christmas!

Back