Stanbroil Stainless Steel Cooking Grates For Weber Q

Man - they are $118.29 CDN for the Q1200 - no discount on Amazon.ca... Boy us Canadians pay so much more....

Although it looks like Amazon.com sells them and will ship to Canada for $33.99 + $30.55 shipping which with exchange comes to about $87 CDN.

I just got my Stanbroil SS milled Stainless steel grates for my Q200. First impressions are very good. They seem very substantial. No worries about bending or sagging for sure. I don't think they contain quite as much mass as a CI set, but they are not too far off either.
One thing to note and something that I was aware of before buying them is that they are two piece and therefore you will need the adapter clips to effectively use them on a Q100/200 since those were designed for the one piece grates. But, I will be welding my two halves together to make one single grate anyway. When I get that done and I have a chance to use them, I will post my thoughts on how well they cook.

My old CI grates were in much rougher shape than I had thought. They were chunking apart all across the grates and it was probably a really good think I replaced them now. The last thing I need a trip to the dentist.

I am not great at caring for my cooking grates and that is one reason I love the SS on my Genesis. I hope these prove to be close to maintenance free as the genesis grates are.

I am not great at caring for my cooking grates and that is one reason I love the SS on my Genesis. I hope these prove to be close to maintenance free as the genesis grates are.

This is the main reason I opted for SS as well. I already have a few cast iron pots and skillets that I have to keep oiled up. I much prefer the durability and low maintenance of SS even if I have to sacrifice a little performance.

Quick update. I welded up the two grate halves and she sits nice and snug on my grill. Now, I just need to cook something on it.

Here is the welded up grates sitting on my grill. The discoloration is from the heat of the weld.

20200929_172912.jpg

This is the underside of the grate. You can see I had a lot of spattering. I didn't have the right gas set up and probably could have used a little slower wire feed but I think I got good penetration and it will last a long time.

20200929_172934.jpg

Here is what the old CI grate was looking like. It was pretty much like this all across the grate.

20200929_173053.jpg

Is there an advantage to having a one piece grate, or were you avoiding having to use the clips?

Ed: The grates don't come with the clips. It is kind of false advertising by them to claim they will fit a Q200 and then not supply the brackets.

Those look really good. I am REALLY interested in getting your impression of them. I would have thought bolting in a small discreet metal block on the front and back of the grill to support the center. Might have been easier than welding. Then the grate halves could simply be put in the dishwasher.
I kind of did not worry about buying another porcelain cast iron grate set too much. Actually bought 2 sets. One for the Q300 I gave the daughter, and 1 for the grill I traded you for. I figured in both cases these were 10 yo plus grills and still had original grates. And honestly the Uniflasy CI grates were made as well/better than the OEM ones and at $49 the thought process was hell, even if I have to buy a new set every 3 years or so. Who cares? I can eat a $49 set of grates. As they're made to do 2 jobs (heat dispersion and actual food cooking). But the stainless ones REALLY intrigue me. So please cook some damn steaks and chicken and tell me how they did :D

Larry, the welding was really probably easier that designing and installing some kind of supports. Plus, it gave me a great opportunity to experiment with SS welding. I don't dare do the dishwasher thing with grates anyway.

Anyway, I hope to drop a Ribeye on that grill sometime this week.

Last edited:
Larry, the welding was really probably easier that designing and installing some kind of supports. Plus, it gave me a great opportunity to experiment with SS welding. I don't dare do the dishwasher thing with grates anyway.

Anyway, I hope to drop a Ribeye on that grill sometime this week.

I've never welded anything, but have heard welding SS is a little trickier than just normal metal. Was it pretty difficult?
Good job BTW, also curious how the grate holds up.

Yes, it is trickier. I had to buy a spool of stainless wire and I should have been using a different shielding gas, but I only have one bottle and they are crazy expensive, so I just used my regular bottle with Argon. SS air tanks should have a couple other gasses mixed into it.

Why doesn't anyone want to buy the Weber 65634 grate clips??? Granted, they cost almost as much as the Stanbroil grates...is it because of price? Those clips come with the Weber replacement grates that are split, too.

1601490372038.png 1601491423334.png
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016M5A308/?tag=tvwb-20 (Q100)

I've never welded anything, but have heard welding SS is a little trickier than just normal metal. Was it pretty difficult?
Good job BTW, also curious how the grate holds up.
The tricky part with welding stainless is if you don't do it right you end up losing the rust resisting property in the heat affected zone (weld area). After all, stainless steel is steel with chromium and nickel added, so welds like steel would weld. You can weld mild steel to stainless if you are not concerned about the rust resisting property.

Last edited:
As an alternative to the Weber 65634 clips, if a single grate was desired a guy could buy a couple of stainless steel worm drive hose clamps and clamp the two halves end to end.

Quick update. I welded up the two grate halves and she sits nice and snug on my grill. Now, I just need to cook something on it.

Bruce, I am with Larry. Very interested in your grilling experience with these grates!

Back