Stainless vs Cast Iron Grill Grates

What are the flimsy SS Weber grates? My Genesis came with factory SS grates and they are anything but flimsy. The spacing could be tighter, but they work fine for everything but small pieces of vegetables. I'm back to using them half the time and grillgrates the other half, depending on what I'm cooking or in the mood for that cook.

What are the flimsy SS Weber grates? My Genesis came with factory SS grates and they are anything but flimsy. The spacing could be tighter, but they work fine for everything but small pieces of vegetables. I'm back to using them half the time and grillgrates the other half, depending on what I'm cooking or in the mood for that cook.

he's talking about the grates that came on the Genny Silver/Gold A/B/C and some other models.

42032-2.jpg

They work OK, but I prefer Weber's Cast Iron grates instead. Or better yet, solid rod stainless steel grates as LM mentioned.

I meant the stamped grates but IMO the newer ones are kind of a cop out by Weber also. Only 7mm wire and way too open spacing. Better (to a point than the stamped ones) but IMO given the cost of the Genesis not up to what Weber should supply.

Last edited:
IMHO,

Good are the basic stamped metal porcelain coated grates.

Slightly better are the stamped stainless steel grates. The advantage here is they last a long time. I kept mine for over 10 years and they were still in fine shape. In terms of cooking, I think they work about the same as the basic grates. Downside is that the shiny SS grates always look dirty. I spent a lot of time trying to keep them gleaming, and then they look dirty again after the next use.

Best are the porcelain enamel cast iron grates. Heavy, hold heat well. Black color keeps them from looking bad. Since these are PECI (rather than plain CI) I don't do any of the seasoning treatment required for plain CI. Without any different/special treatment, I've had no rust at all in several years use.

Also best would be the solid rod heavy SS grates like RCPlanebuyer makes or like Weber uses on their Summit grills. But I'd still pick the PECI grates to avoid wasting time trying to keep the SS grates shiny and spotless.

Back