Stainless Steel Grate Throwdown Challenge Results

A New Entry: DcYourHome

When Bruce pointed out this new entry in the world of stainless steel grates I was intrigued. And, for $29.99 LESS a 10% off coupon I figured I needed to update this thread with an equivalent review of this new item.

If you are looking at this thread for the first time, keep in mind that there is constant change in prices and availability of these stainless rod grates. Sad to say, but it looks like the interesting offering from MidWest Hearth has been discontinued. Grates aren't even listed on their website and Amazon says future availability unknown.

Here is my review of DcYourHome:

Stainless Steel Showdown - DcYourHome.jpg

Thanks for that review Jon. I agree with all your evaluations. Like you said, they may not be the most refined or the most high quality stainless, but in their class, you cannot beat the price, or at least the price they "were" offered at. Definitely a staple for rehabbers and even a huge upgrade over the stamped SS or porcelain coated grates for sure and probably even lower cost than those. I am glad I sprung for a few of them while the prices were low. They will help with the profit margin in my rehabs next summer. Those great deals on flavorizer bars that were live at the same time will help as well.

Looking into it some more I found a comment in the Q&A section of Amazon that said these were 403 stainless. I know very little about metals, but from what I read it seems that 403 is better than 430 but not quite as good as 304. Seems to have more corrosion resistance and is used in industry such as for turbine parts. This 403 stainless seems to explain the "medium" magnetic reaction vs. the strong one from 430 stainless where the magnet grabs it with a whack!

Yah, I didn't find any definitive answers. More just metallurgical gobbledy gook. But it does seem kind of an in between 304 and 430 stainless in performance.

I have the DcYourHome grates on my Gen 2 and I really like them. Money is a little tight so I decided that was my best choice. I will see how they perform long term, but I think they will do well.

Jim, Let us know how you do over the next year or so. I think you got a fantastic deal on grates that will clearly do the job. I am not that concerned about the 403 stainless which is better than 430. I have had 430 grates that worked fine for years, so these should do even better. As far as my minor demerits for less than perfect edges, you will virtually never even see that.

If someone asked me what I thought was the best compromise in features vs. price, this set would be at the top of my list.

The biggest issues with grates are bar size. Puny skinny wires are just no fun to work with. Large spacing between bars is not fun either. After all who wants to lose a steak between the bars? Remember the thing on your grill that you interact with (other than the food) most intimately is the grates. The most important features IMO from top to bottom
1. Bar diameter. 7mm is absolute minimum 9mm preferred and 3/8" optimal
2. spacing. tighter the better
3. last material. I don't care if a grate is 403, 430, 304 or what have you. mass and weight are the things where it counts. If you buy, a grate because it's 304 but it's got 5/8" spaces and 7mm rods to me on a keeper it's a waste of money. For a flip sure but not on one I want to cook on. Buy the 430 3/8" grates with 3/8 or less spacing. You still have a better grate

They are a decent choice, and for $32 a great deal! No, not Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer or BBQParts.com quality but also not junk, either. Most users would be extremely happy with them. We here are, I suppose, mostly grill snobs (geeks?!!) so we want even better if we can afford it. But I wouldn't feel cheated using these grates.

How do you get alerts when something is back in stock? I was going to get a onlyfire rotisserie for my WGA but they are out of stock and would like an alert. I googled it and there is supposed to be an alert me box, but I only get: Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

How do you get alerts when something is back in stock? I was going to get a onlyfire rotisserie for my WGA but they are out of stock and would like an alert. I googled it and there is supposed to be an alert me box, but I only get: Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Joe - This is what I use. I have it tied to my wish lists so when anything drops in price by a specified amount it sends me an email. Pretty useful but probably results in me buying stuff I don’t really need...

Welcome to camelcamelcamel, a free Amazon price tracker!

ETA - I imagine it would work for when things are back in stock as well as long as you set your price target high enough.

Joe - This is what I use. I have it tied to my wish lists so when anything drops in price by a specified amount it sends me an email. Pretty useful but probably results in me buying stuff I don’t really need...

Welcome to camelcamelcamel, a free Amazon price tracker!

ETA - I imagine it would work for when things are back in stock as well as long as you set your price target high enough.
Thanks Steve, That is a pretty cool site. I signed up and set an alert.

The NEW CONTENDER

Ok, so I had the opportunity to purchase a set of the 9mm grates being offered by Qlimetal. I am not sure when these came out, but they are new to me. I know some of you are very interested in these since they bring dimension close to those of Dave Santana/"rcplanebuyer" grates at a very attractive price.

I have to say, that overall, I am very impressed. They are heavy, thick 9mm grates with no magnetic response. In all measurements they come out ahead of BBQParts.com and close to Dave's. Still, Dave has the best in my opinion. However, we have heard some uncertainty about whether Dave will continue to offer grates. (He is still selling flavorizer bars at this point on eBay and his preferred choice of Craigslist.) If Dave's would no longer be available, these Qlimetal grates become all the more compelling.

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Here is my review of these grates in the same format as I did the others a couple years ago:

Stainless Steel Showdown Grates - Qlimetal 9mm_Page_1.png
To make comparsion easier, here are my prior reviews of BBQParts.com and "rcplanebuyer":

Stainless Steel Showdown BBQPARTS Grates2_Page_06.jpg
Stainless Steel Showdown RCPLANEBUYER Grates2_Page_07.jpg

Back