Stainless Steel Cooking grates for the Q grills

I am probably known for being a contrarian on this spacing thing, but personally those are the first stainless grates for the Q I have seen that have appeal to me. I wish the rods were thicker and even a little closer together. But for doing burgers, dogs, chops, grilled chicken strips and steaks - pretty much my limited repertoire for my Q - this looks like an acceptable option at a very fair price. I hope a Q 200/2000 version is available or in the works. I like it that they have addressed the built in protection for keeping grease from dripping on the burners.

Stainless rods would definitely be easier, but I have to admit that I will always be a cast iron fan. So, in the end I don't see a big need to rush out to get one of these. It would be a good option, though, for someone who uses their Q seasonally and worries about rust on the cast iron while it sits unused all winter. My mind goes to our church property out in the hinterlands of Florida where I have convinced them to give up on buying cheap "stainless" grills and instead get 2 used, but rehabbed, Q 300/3200 grills. Rust is a huge problem out there as grills at this place sit out in the wet, hot Florida weather unused for months on end and go to pot quickly. The aluminum & plastic Q is a perfect fix for this, except for the grates. A set of these new stainless ones made for the 300/3200 would be a perfect solution.

I am probably known for being a contrarian on this spacing thing, but personally those are the first stainless grates for the Q I have seen that have appeal to me. I wish the rods were thicker and even a little closer together. But for doing burgers, dogs, chops, grilled chicken strips and steaks - pretty much my limited repertoire for my Q - this looks like an acceptable option at a very fair price. I hope a Q 200/2000 version is available or in the works. I like it that they have addressed the built in protection for keeping grease from dripping on the burners.

Stainless rods would definitely be easier, but I have to admit that I will always be a cast iron fan. So, in the end I don't see a big need to rush out to get one of these. It would be a good option, though, for someone who uses their Q seasonally and worries about rust on the cast iron while it sits unused all winter. My mind goes to our church property out in the hinterlands of Florida where I have convinced them to give up on buying cheap "stainless" grills and instead get 2 used, but rehabbed, Q 300/3200 grills. Rust is a huge problem out there as grills at this place sit out in the wet, hot Florida weather unused for months on end and go to pot quickly. The aluminum & plastic Q is a perfect fix for this, except for the grates. A set of these new stainless ones made for the 300/3200 would be a perfect solution.

Here you go....

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07T62TXL6/tvwb-20

And the price is not that bad either.

If you take the measurements and do the math the grill spacing is .75" IMO just not worth it. Harder to cook foods like fish will sag and stick between bars, smaller items like veg (pepper slices, asparagus, etc) thinner cuts of meat will either sage badly between bars or fall right through. They could do the right thing and add one or 2 bars on each side and get the spacing to a livable size and even at $15 more I would then buy them. But not like this I would not waste my $$$$

Larry, how do you come up with .75 spacing. Do you know what diameter the rods are?

If you take the measurements and do the math the grill spacing is .75" IMO just not worth it. Harder to cook foods like fish will sag and stick between bars, smaller items like veg (pepper slices, asparagus, etc) thinner cuts of meat will either sage badly between bars or fall right through. They could do the right thing and add one or 2 bars on each side and get the spacing to a livable size and even at $15 more I would then buy them. But not like this I would not waste my $$$$

Larry, how do you come up with .75 spacing. Do you know what diameter the rods are?

Looks to me like the rods are a little less than 6mm wide - not as thick as would be ideal. However, when you multiply the number of rods and convert you get about 3.5 inches of total rods. The two grates are 21.5 inches wide, so one grate is 10.75 inches. Subtract the 3.5 inches and you have roughly 7 inches of open space. There are 14 of these spaces. So, if my math is right, it is more like a half inch spacing between rods. This is comparable to the middle of the road grate options I looked at for the Genesis.

These are no “rcplanebuyer” grates, for sure, but I think they are usable and for the price an option at least worth considering.

Dang Jon, did you run that through Quicken?

I am getting more and more interested now. I am probably going to pick up a Q320 on Tuesday. It will need grates and it might just wind up getting some of the new SS grates.

As I mentioned in the gas grill section, I don't think they have one for that size yet. Let's hope they do soon and make the rods thicker!

p.s. My math isn't really that precise. Just some number crunching (with rounding) on a calculator app on my iPad and using a converter I found through Google. Looking at the picture of the grate I just didn't think it could possibly be as wide as .75" spacing.

I did the math and I hope it is right and as my math teacher said, show your work. For Q 220/2200 Total length 21.5" = 546 mm. Rod diameter 5.86 mm X 30 rods = 175.8. 546 mm - 175.8 mm leaves 370.3 for the spaces. 370.3 divided by 29 ( I added a space for the gap between the two grates) = 12.77 or .502". Did the same for the Q320/3200 grate specs and got 13.2 mm or .519" Until someone on here actually buys a set we will not know for sure though. Hope this helps.

Richard.

I found the Q3xx set took the measurement for one grate, counted the number of bars and figuring being generous at 1/4" or less rods, did the division and came up with about .74"
Bottom line IMO that is NOT usable

I wouldn't call that unusable, but maybe the word unacceptable or not ideal would be better. 3/4" is pushing it for anyone though if that is the correct spacing.

Sorry I just would not bother even trying with spacing like that. Not worth the hassle time and trouble plus lost food, poor performance and so on. I call it unusable and sticking with it. IMO anything over .5" is a wasted effort

Well, if it is 3/4 of an inch, then I totally agree with you Larry. But, if it is a half inch as I have roughly measured - and as has been also more carefully measured by Richard in NS - then I don't personally think that is so terrible. Certainly not world class by any stretch, but usable. You are, of course, certainly entitled to still feel they aren't worthwhile regardless.

For me, at a half inch - and for the right application such as where rusting is an especially difficult problem - I think these could make good sense. When my next Amazon points fall, if i have enough I might be the guinea pig and get a set for the church project I mentioned. Rust is a huge issue at that property way out in Timbuktu, so this could be a good solution.

Great sear marks? No.
Heat holding like cast iron? No.
But low maintenance for grills that will almost entirely be used to crank out burgers and hot dog? I think yes.

RCP grates for the Genesis are greater than 4/10" gap I believe. So not much less than 1/2"

yw8I44I.jpg

IF they have a $$$ back satisfaction guarantee I may order a set for one of my Q3xx grills and give them a "measure" and if as I suspect I can send them back. But if the bars are decent and it's not more than .5" spacing. I would work with them

Larry: For Prime members: "Free returns are available for the shipping address you chose. You can return the item for any reason in new and unused condition and get a full refund: no shipping charges."

I picked up the Q300. It is missing the thermometer and the grates were shot and the gray shroud and propane tank mount are missing. Otherwise, good condition for a 13 year old grill. I only paid $20 so no biggy. I an undecided if I will put new grates in it and keep it, or if I will use it for parts. If anyone gets a set of the SS rod grates, let me know how they are. This grill will likely spend its life out doors without a cover and it will need to be bullet proof.

So I finally purchased this...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07T52ZVW6/tvwb-20

Blca3R4.jpg

MWyD9Zi.jpg

SICKOAB.jpg

R3damyR.jpg

The grate feels nice and solid and welds look pretty good. Of course the spacing could be better but the plate that covers the burner should be able to help with slipping burger patties and such. Did the magnet test and the magnets did not stick to the grates so maybe that's a good thing? We'll see how long this one will hold up though but so far not a bad buy at less than $50.

Back