Stainless Salad bowl as water bowl

Konrad Haskins

R.I.P. 3/23/2014
I've been using these since 2002. While cleaning them this morning I noticed some corrosion on one. Held it up to the sun and sure nuff there were pinholes of light. Oh well 8 years of abuse in the Pacific NW is a good run.

The Brinkman charcoal pan for the ECB is cheap, five or ten I think. I got mine at Bass pro Shop, but Academy Sports has them as well as other places.

Konrad,get yourself a clay saucer,and never have to worry about cleanuo again. Just change the foil!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Konrad,get yourself a clay saucer,and never have to worry about cleanuo again. Just change the foil! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can foil an empty pan just the same.

I agree russell , sand, clay saucers or what ever they put in the water pan is a waste of money, just foil the pan, i normally do not even use the pan, never had trouble controlling temps

Call me stupid, but I put water in the pan. Reading dozen's of discussions it seems that I shouldn't be doing that, but I'm not sure why..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Antti P:
Call me stupid, but I put water in the pan. Reading dozen's of discussions it seems that I shouldn't be doing that, but I'm not sure why.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's nothing wrong with putting water in the pan. But after a couple of instances of letting the pan boil dry (which resulted in temperatures climbing out of control), and reading about the various ways of cooking without water, I tried it. I made a "Piedmont Pan" out of my WSM water pan, and a Brinkmann pan I already had. I find I can control temperatures easily enough, and I don't have to worry about refilling the water pan (especially on overnight cooks). It's more a matter of convenience to me, rather than quality of the finished product (which is just as good as when I was using water).

I really need to try running it dry... Especially after reading Harry Soo's Q&A. the piedmont pan sounds good as well, but unfortunately I don't have access to Brinkmann water pan re-seller's..

Pretty funny. The topic is called "Stainless Salad bowl as water bowl", yet I didn't see stainless salad bowl mentioned once in the posts. Now my ignorance. What's a piedmont pan? Thanks.

As I stated in another post - Weber designed the WSM with a water pan for a reason. You don't have to use it - but I do and I put water in it. I'm The King Of The World!

Back