Sprinkle or dump minion

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
As I sit here pondering my current smoke, I got to thinking if dumping the lit coals into one center spot instead of sprinkling across the top of the unlit would help keep the temps under better control.

I will try that next time and wondered what your experience might be with that

Last edited:
I use the "Tin Can Minion" method, exclusively with my WSM. It gives me a completely controlled burn that allows me to "sneak up" on my pre-determined temperature with much less chance of running over. At the same time, it doesn't really take much time to do that. Seems to be the "best of both worlds"...

Of course, when I do a high heat chicken, I just throw a lit chimney full in and dispense with the Minion start entirely.

Dale53

I guess it depends on ones choice of Heat sink. I'm a dumper than use tongs to spread the coals around the top. I use an empty foiled pan, and this gives me 275 ( which I like ) in about an hour or so with the MM.

Tim

My hunch is there isn't a wrong answer here.

I would agree with that. My theory is that by scattering them across the top, exponentially your fire would grow as each coal is going to start to ignite several others. As where dumping in in the center would cause a slower overall ignite of the others

For this coffee can method, do they still make metal coffee cans? And do you put it right down on the coal grate then fill around it or is there a base layer under it

I spread on top. The less I have to mess with, the better I like it. No trouble maintaining 250*

For this coffee can method, do they still make metal coffee cans? And do you put it right down on the coal grate then fill around it or is there a base layer under it

I have a can with both ends cut out but rarely use it. When I did use it, I placed in on the charcoal grate, and poured unlit coal all around it. When I dumped the lit in it, I pulled out the can with a pair of channel locks. To tell you the truth I've noticed no difference in temp control or even-ness or complete-ness of burn so now I pretty much just dump the lit on the unlit and distribute evenly with tongs.

Last edited:

Yes and yes. But the large can from pineapple juice works better.

I thought I would respond back with my own scientific findings. Since I didn't have a coffee can (small size) I carefully created a hole down to the grate. Lit 15 and poured into the hole with a chunk of wood on top. Also placed a chunk at 12, 3, and 6. My target temp was 250 so I took temps up to 230 and shut vents except for 1 at a crack. Temps stayed at 225 for 5 hours. Then decided I was pretty comfortable with the control so I opened one vent 100% to 253 then back to a crack. Now locked around 250.

The difference between sprinkling across the top is in believable.

This brisket is going to be a jiggler. (I hope)

Yes and yes. But the large can from pineapple juice works better.

What is the difference you have noticed between the coffee can & juice can? What size wsm do you have?

Also, I don't have one at this time, but how does a 1 gallon paint can compare in size? They have a built in handle for easy removal!

I always dump in a bag of charcoal, make a little crater in the middle, spread wood chunks around the edges, and dump about 10 lit coals in the crater I made. Cold meat goes on immediately. I leave the vents wide open to 200F, then close them down and let it come the rest of the way to my target temp. Smoker is always at temp within 30 minutes or so and I've gotten pretty good at guessing about how far open my vents need to be.

Back