SPOG question

I have recently been reading on this forum about the simplicity of the salt, pepper, onion and garlic mixture and tried it for myself. I used EQUAL PARTS Kosher salt, Coarse ground pepper(Williamson Bros.), onion salt and granulated garlic. I first used this on bone in chicken breasts and the skin was the best result I've had yet(nice crispy skin). I used it on one rack of ribs in a three rack cook and although good it was spicier than the other two racks.

My question is: Is there a tried and true proportion of the four ingredients? Is equal parts the way to go? Should I use equal parts salt and pepper(like Aaron Franklin does) and lessen the proportion of onion and garlic? Or decrease the pepper and leave the other three ingredients equal parts?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Like anything I imagine there are variations used by different folks. I use equal parts Kosher salt, course ground black pepper, powdered onion, and granulated garlic. For the brisket I did yesterday I used a TBS each.

Last edited:
Would never use onion (or garlic) salt. You need the spice, not its salt & spice. You need the salt but also need to be able to control how much you use.

Even then, some mixes use no salt (like most if not all of Kevin K's mixtures).

Like anything I imagine there are variations used by different folks. I use equal parts Kosher salt, course ground black pepper, powdered onion, and granulated garlic. For the brisket I did yesterday I used a TBS each.

I used to do exactly like Dwain does until the doctor put me on a low sodium diet I now use 1/2 the salt in proportion to the other ingredients, funny thing I can't tell the difference.

Depends on my "mood for food" (and the food itself). I don't have a recipe - SPOG are the usual suspects but I vary them depending on the meat and what kind of flavor(s) want to get out of it...sometimes skip one ingredient altogether or replace it with something else. I know this probably isn't what you were looking for in an answer, but this is how I approach seasoning the food I'm cooking - there is no right or wrong way or perfect mixture...it just comes down to what you like to taste.

Would never use onion (or garlic) salt. You need the spice, not its salt & spice. You need the salt but also need to be able to control how much you use.

Len, they weren't talking about onion saltor garlic salt -- they're talking about onion powder and granulated garlic, neither of which contain salt. Just FYI...

Back