Spiral cut ham advice

ChaseW

TVWBB Member
I've searched the threads and read Chris's info on hams. His piece on spiral cut hams were to just not do anything to them at all, just place in smoker and let go for a few hours.

My question is: Is there any benefit to rubbing and glazing a spiral cut ham before/during warming it on the smoker? Would it add anything to it or would it just be too much added to the already cooked ham?

Anyone with experience?

I don't have any experience w/smoking a ham, but you don't want to put the glaze on too early or it will burn. Just like saucing ribs.

Chase spiral hams are already cooked. Just place ham in a roasting pan on rack. Baste ham every 30-45 minutes with its own juices. Smoke to 120 IT temp and your done.

Just get your smoker up to temp put your ham in a pan and let it warm up for a few hours. I just mix honey and Dijon mustard and apply about every 30 mins

As a number of folks have said, there really is no cooking involved. Chris is spot-on in his recommendations. All you are doing is warming it up and doing a glaze if desired at the end. Don't put it on its side; use the weight of the ham to push the slices together to help keep it moist. Don't run the temp up on a spiral ham above 120 as Chris suggests or it will dry out. Use just a little bit of smoke, more for the smell than the flavor.

I've searched the threads and read Chris's info on hams. His piece on spiral cut hams were to just not do anything to them at all, just place in smoker and let go for a few hours.

My question is: Is there any benefit to rubbing and glazing a spiral cut ham before/during warming it on the smoker? Would it add anything to it or would it just be too much added to the already cooked ham?

Anyone with experience?

to answer your specific question , I can't see any benefit to re glazing the ham(if it is , indeed , pre glazed) or adding rub unless you feel like you want to add another layer of flavor like maple syrup or maybe spice it up with a pinch of cayenne. I've done them a couple of times and I feel like they come out pretty good just as they are....but you certainly won't spoil the ham by adding. It's your ham , brother...go crazy !

Last edited:
We always prinkle some of Butcher's Hickory Salt on ours before they go on the smoker, they when almost readys hit them with a glaze of honey, butter and brown sugar.

I used to follow the instructions on the labels, and they always came out horrible. Last year, I followed Chris's FAQ, only bringing it to 120, and putting the big open end down, and it came out great. I used a chunk of Apple and Cherry, and did the glaze on during the last 10-15 minutes. Came out wonderful.

Hey Chase,

When I first wrote that article years ago, I tried to replicate the "honey baked ham" glaze by warming a spiral-sliced ham in the smoker, then applying a dry sugar/spice mixture with a blow torch. Problem is that the HoneyBaked Ham Co. does not glaze hams when they're hot...they slice and glaze them cold. That way, the slices stay nice and tight and pretty. When you heat the ham in the smoker, the slices shrink and get curly on the edges, then you can't apply the glaze evenly to the wavy surface. So after a few attempts, I just gave up on the whole thing!

You could try a liquid glaze, but as it heats, you'll get shrinkage and you won't end up with that nice, smooth, glazed surface you get on a non-spiral-sliced ham.

Chase spiral hams are already cooked. Just place ham in a roasting pan on rack. Baste ham every 30-45 minutes with its own juices. Smoke to 120 IT temp and your done.

Thanks Noe.
This is what I'm going to do.

I just joined the forum & thought I would throw my 2 cents in.
I coat the entire ham in dijon mustard then put a light coat of brown sugar on it. I smoke it at 225 & use cherry wood for smoke. After 2 hours I spray with pineapple juice & wrap in foil & cook 1 more hour. After that I put a heavy coating of brown sugar on the ham & spray pineapple juice again all over it. The heat will make a good glaze. Cook 1 more hour. Total cook time 4 hours. Let it rest about 30 mins

I just joined the forum & thought I would throw my 2 cents in.
I coat the entire ham in dijon mustard then put a light coat of brown sugar on it. I smoke it at 225 & use cherry wood for smoke. After 2 hours I spray with pineapple juice & wrap in foil & cook 1 more hour. After that I put a heavy coating of brown sugar on the ham & spray pineapple juice again all over it. The heat will make a good glaze. Cook 1 more hour. Total cook time 4 hours. Let it rest about 30 mins

Welcome to the forums. Are you starting with a spiral cut ham?

Back