Speaking of Charcoal Sales - What's better: KBB or KBB Competition and why?

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
Home Depot indeed has the KBB standard bags on sale for $9.88 (18.6 lbs; that's 2 bags at 9.3 lbs each). That's a 50% price cut from the regular everyday price.

KBB Competition is also priced at $9.88, but it's a single bag that weighs 11.1 lbs.

So, what's the difference in the 2 formats and why would I want to pay nearly 50% more just to get the "competition" version of seemingly the identical product? Is it all in marketing?

I've never tried the KBB competition but regularly use the KBB standard with good success.

Jeff, double check your numbers, the "deal" is usually for double 18.6(used to be double 20's) so that's 37.2 lb.
Just making sure. However, that being said, I too wonder, what's the "Hub bub, Bub?" to quote Bugs Bunny.
Never had a failure with "the regular kind."

I regularly stock up during the sales for Kingsford Original. I long ago quit worrying about the "other" charcoal after getting lots of trash ,rocks, and unidentified objects in bags of lump.

So, I say, use what pleases you. Me I am happy with Kingsford Original for half the price and excellent results!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I've used both (albeit KBB before the "redesigned for faster lighting and longer burning"). Kingsford Competition burns hotter and shorter in my experience, also lights faster with perhaps less smoke/odor and less ash (cleaner burn?). I think the idea is the Kingsford Competition has less fillers? I think I got 2-15lb bags of Competition at Costco on sale for something like $17 so I tried them. I've since used them for grilling and once for a turkey, given the higher heat/shorter burn times, these applications seemed reasonable. Is it worth the premium, absolutely not. KBB all the way.

I have used the Competition as well and agree with James's opinion. Heat and ash production is similar to lump, but with size consistency. My first time using Comp briquettes was smoking a 14# brisket and I had issues keeping my temps low enough. WSM with all bottom vents closed would climb to the 315F range. That said, it is great for a quick sear on a sous vide steak. I use my chimney starter upside down with a grate on top and sear directly on that so I only need about 12 briquettes.

Thanks guys, I have used blue bag since I was a pup. Like I said never a failure. I tend to agree with the quicker/shorter theorem. The old blue bag,might have taken half an hour and this "newfangled" stuff is sixteen minutes but, hey! I need time for a beverage!
Today, I made lunch for my cabinetmaker pal and crew, turned and burned a (better than expected) chuck roast, bacon wrapped tater tots and asparagus. FRESH! LOCAL asparagus! I will be getting more tomorrow and fire off scented candles in the bathroom!
The reason was a thanks for help on pretty much every woodworking project I have ever undertaken over the bulk of my adult life! Can't post pix but, I sent some to Rusty and will let him know he can share if he wants to.
Oh, the lunch was blessed with the nicest day we've had since Easter morning(that was unusual)!

So, what's the difference in the 2 formats and why would I want to pay nearly 50% more just to get the "competition" version of seemingly the identical product? Is it all in marketing?
Read my detailed review of Kingsford Competition Briquets (now also known as Kingsford Professional Briquets) from 2009: http://virtualweberbullet.com/compkingsford.html

Competition briquets are Kingsford's response to those who want a more "natural" briquet with few ingredients--just wood char, starch binder, and a touch of borax as a press release--whereas KBB contains wood char, mineral char, mineral carbon, limestone, starch binder, borax, and sawdust. KBB costs less than Competition briquets because of the high volume manufactured/sold and probably lower ingredient costs.

I think competition is certainly better, but as you said, given the sale prices of kbb it ain't 3 times the price better. Or at least in my opinion.

I've used Kingsford competition in the past, as well as Stubbs. I used to really like Rancher. lately I've just used the good old Kingsford because I can stock up on it twice a year on sale. Is it true that Trader Joe's Briquettes are rancher repackaged? A Trader Joe's opened nearby about a year ago. FWIW I have had the most success in my WSM with Kingsford and failures with Stubbs. I still like Stubbs for grilling though.

I use both and buy both on sale. I prefer the comp in the Smokey Joe and Jumbo Joe. Comp starts faster too. Hard to beat KBB bang for the buck. Ash has never been a problem in the kettle or WSM. Although, I'll use comp in the WSM for cooking chicken or turkey (higher temps). Can't say one is overall better than the other.

I only use KBB. I've tried competition and frankly didn't see the need to spend the extra cash. I get great results with KBB every time.

As Chris stated previously, competition was developed for those wanting a more natural product...think premium pricing (same concept for the flavors). I use KBB along with 95% of the guys who make it.

Pro/Comp for me all the way! I think I imparts better flavor & smell. It's higher heat makes it great on the kettle also. As for the runaway temps, yes. The Comp product does seem more sensitive to a breezy day. That said, this is more an issue with the cooker and I've solved this problem addressing the WSM itself. After all, the reality of fire never changes; fuel + Oxygen = Heat. And let's call it what it is.... Ungasketed WSM's are notoriously porous. We just sort of factor that in to the process.
So for price, this has been discussed here for years. The few bucks difference for the weekend warrior is a drop in the bucket compared to what we spend on meat and toys through the year. If you're gonna use it for business, you'll factor it in to your costs anyway. In the end, I say use what you like, guilt free. Don't feel there's some need to justify an expense for charcoal!
My final reality: My hobby is BBQ for goodness sake! I'm not out drinking & carousing.... I'm in the back yard cooking. I don't drive an expensive sports car or use a jumbo-tron to watch the Mets. I spend a few extra bucks on my charcoal cuz I like it.

B.

Back