Spatchcock roasted/grilled Yardbird

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Cleaned, cut and marinated in Wicker's for approximately 6 hours...
this bird was seasoned with Wolfe's Citrus rub and placed in a Xtra-large Lodge skillet
(a few baby Yukons along for the ride)

DSCN1378.JPG

A head of Romaine lettuce halved and EVOO'd

DSCN1382.JPG

Once the chicken came off the 26"OTG, the salad followed

DSCN1390.JPG

home-grown maters with peppers and minced gaaaaaalic

DSCN1391.JPG

only a few minutes and this stuff is cooked

DSCN1392.JPG

Plated and dusted with Penzey's Tuscan Sunset

DSCN1398.JPG

DSCN1396.JPG

w0w! the bird was sooo moist and the Wolfe Rub was/IS everything I expected and hoped for, Great Stuff!
No cooking tomorrow, heading over to the Wisconsin State Fair

looking for my usual BBQ Pork Chop on a stick and a Sheboygan Brat.
Hope to see you too!
smiley-happy020.gif
Thanks for visiting, so long!

Last edited:
If that tasted half as good as it looks you and Liz were in for a treat! Killer grubb buddy!

The coloring on that chicken is just outstanding!! Pretty as a picture but I bet it tasted just as good as it looked!!

Judging by the time of your post either you got to bed late or got up early to go to the State Fair. Either way have an Elephant Ear for me and keep cooking the way you do.

Do you eat the left side of the bird since you're left handed? :confused:
Right or left, that's some mighty fine looking chicken and sides!
Terrific pics too!

The State Fair is in West Allis eh, how convenient, Enjoy!

Thanks for the nice replies :)

Yes Bill, I went to bed late :p
Yes Bob, the Fair is in West Allis. I grew up in West Allis, only blocks from the Fair.
every summer (when I wasn't in Pulaski farming) our folks would send us to the Fair to stay outta their hair.
I hated the Fair sooo much, it was only recently I started attending again. And only briefly.

Dang! Look at the color on that bird! Never thought of cooking chicken in CI skillet. Looks like it turned out great.

Chicken looks really good. Sometimes I forget how good grilled chicken can be. Yours is an inspiration! Have fun at the fair; after all, it's their 161st year!

Terrific looking she-cone dinner, Jim! The fair sounds good too. I'd like to go see Chris Tomlin and have an Italian sausage with some onions and peppers :D.

Great looking Meal Jimbo. The State fair looks pretty cool with some good entertainment. The Happy Together Tour 2012 was just here at the California State fair last week. I guess they are making the state fair rounds-Jeff Dunham is one hell of a funny Ventriloquist. And Chris Tomin is one of my favorite Christian performers. I saw him a few years ago and he is terrific! Enjoy yourself Jim.

Nice looking bird Jim...I think I will be missing the fair this year. Normaly get to see the draft horse show..but not this year.

Back