Spatchcock or Whole turkey??

Adam H

TVWBB Fan
I usually cook my turkey whole on the WSM 22, but I've been reading about how great spatchcock birds are! I would love to hear some experts opinion!

I am certainly no expert but I do have my .02: spatchcock definitely has advantages for any other day besides Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving it has to be a "Norman Rockwell" platter served and carved turkey at SWMBO's table.

I've done a Spatchcoked turkey a couple of times and it turned out really good. I think it even looks really nice on a platter. Turkeys will be really cheap here pretty soon so grab you one and give one a test run to see how you like it.

yes it will since you are cooking both from the inside and the outside at the same time now and each piece is smaller. Expect a shorter cook, at 350* maybe 7-10 minutes per lb (remember each side is now half the total weight), just check temp with probe to make sure.

I am certainly no expert but I do have my .02: spatchcock definitely has advantages for any other day besides Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving it has to be a "Norman Rockwell" platter served and carved turkey at SWMBO's table.

Ditto that!

There are some events you just shouldn't mess with!:)

Your probably right Dwain. Messing with tradition will probably get me in trouble with the wife!

There's nothing like seen a prefectly golden brown bird sitting on the table for your Thanksgiving dinner.... That's a whole bird to me.

Back