Spares, Wings and Mac N Cheese

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
My son and his girlfriend came down from Virginia for the St. Patrick’s Day festivities in Savannah.
They requested ribs, wings and homemade mac n cheese. Since I have to work all weekend I
decided to go ahead and just cook it all today.

I picked up 2 racks of spares and trimmed them to St. Louis cuts. I saved most of the extras
that were cut off the spares. They were seasoned last night with a homemade rub, wrapped in
plastic wrap and put into the refrigerator. Coming up to room temp this morning.
DSC_0966_zps73eb01cf.jpg

Put onto the WSM using my rib rack since they were too long for the grates. I used RO Ridge
charcoal and a few chunks of cherry wood.
DSC_0967_zpsfa63fec9.jpg

Put the wings into a marinade this morning. The batch on the left with zesty Italian dressing.
The ones on the right were coated with Mad Hunky Hot Whang rub. The mild wings were coated
with Penzeys BBQ 3000. I didn’t add anything else to the Hot Whang ones.
DSC_0970_zpsf80b4413.jpg

Put onto the Performer using RO lump and a chunk of oak.
DSC_0973_zps97ccec5a.jpg

Ribs are done after 5 hours in the smoker.
DSC_0974_zps5bbf8f06.jpg

Mac N Cheese onto the smoker.
DSC_0978-001_zpsebf7d9ab.jpg

Wings are done and a few of them were well done. :cool: I did spray the Hot Whang ones every 15
minutes with a water and vinegar mix.
DSC_0982_zpsa47863b3.jpg

Mac N Cheese is done!
DSC_0985_zpsdef17cc9.jpg

Plated on our finest paper plates!
DSC_0990_zpsffca782e.jpg

Delicious and filling dinner! In reference to the Royal Oak Ridge charcoal. I am glad I just bought
1 bag. I didn't like the way it burns, which is way too fast for the way I do low n slow. I will
stick to Stubbs or Kingsford Comp or regular. I do like the RO lump though.

Thanks for looking!

it all looks good , brother , but the mac n cheese stands out to me! it looks goooooood !

Great looking cook Mike, wish I had been there.

I visited your fair city a few months back, and finally took in Paula's Lady and Son's place, boy, talk about a let down..........I've got diners around here that serve better chow......................d

Looks great Mike...I love the Mac and cheese on the smoker...looks amazing!! I agree with you on the RO as well!! I have had the same experience!!

Happy kids you'll have this weekend Mike!
Ribs looks GREAT!
Mac'N'Cheese, can taste it from here!
and your Flappers look AWESOME!!
YesSirre! Happy Kids, this weekend!

Outstanding ribs, wings and mac and cheese!!! Your Son and his Girl are sure gonna eat well this weekend!!! I'm hooked on the Hot Wang rub!!

Well since the anniversary of me getting another year older is coming up I think I just found the meal i'm going to cook for myself. I had never considered using a rub on my wings and think I will try that. I always just cooked them and then sauced them. Good alternative.

Looks like you all had some fantastic eats there, Mike! Great lookin' cook. That mac n cheese looks soooo good. Might have to make up a batch for supper.:)

Mike, I'm with Frank. That Mac n cheese looks Dan d :) Great looking post. Some lucky family with a pop cooking meals like that my friend.

Back