Spares on the kettle

Bob Bailey

TVWBB Guru
Going to follow up yesterday's sorry beef rib cook with a slab of Morel pork spares from Winco. Same kettle, same Cowboy briquettes and a chunk of Hickory, at 275 +/-25. Using a rub from Schuey's BBQ (recipe below). Tried this on some chicken last week and it was great so giving it a try on pork. Will be taking a peek after 2 hours and spritzing with water as needed. No wrap and no probe. Will temp when they loosen up and the meat starts to pull back from the bones. Once they probe tender will be glazing with a 50/50 mix of Great Value Original BBQ Sauce and ACV.
Will post pics if the old brain engages today.

2 hours in. Gave them a little spritz and added a half dozen briquettes.
Spares.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Nice. Don’t know about Great Value. The best BBQ sauce I’ve tried so far is Lillie’s Carolina. I like a bit of tang.

Nice looking ribs Bob.
I’m going to give that rub a try.

Sauce wise, I like to modify SBR’s for the mop with some acv, a little whiskey, pineapple juice or whatever to thin it out a bit.
One of my favorite thinners is Mexican Coke 👍.
I just basically see what I have or what I’m in the mood for so the mix might slightly be different.
For dipping sauce SBR’s is my favorite commercial sauce.

Going to follow up yesterday's sorry beef rib cook with a slab of Morel pork spares from Winco. Same kettle, same Cowboy briquettes and a chunk of Hickory, at 275 +/-25. Using a rub from Schuey's BBQ (recipe below). Tried this on some chicken last week and it was great so giving it a try on pork. Will be taking a peek after 2 hours and spritzing with water as needed. No wrap and no probe. Will temp when they loosen up and the meat starts to pull back from the bones. Once they probe tender will be glazing with a 50/50 mix of Great Value Original BBQ Sauce and ACV.
Will post pics if the old brain engages today.

2 hours in. Gave them a little spritz and added a half dozen briquettes.
View attachment 100626
Forgot to take a pic of the end product last night but they turned out great. Lots of sugar in the glaze really darkened them up. I remembered when I saw the foil package in the fridge this AM so took a pic of the leftoversRibs2.jpg :)

Nice. Don’t know about Great Value. The best BBQ sauce I’ve tried so far is Lillie’s Carolina. I like a bit of tang.

I like different types of BBQ sauces and use them depending on the style of a particular cook. Haven't tried any Lillie Q sauces but have read great reviews on them.
Great Value is Walmart's store brand, The sauce, their original, is very thick, sweet & a bit smokey. Damn decent for the price and rates high in some comparisons I've read. I rate it right alongside SBR Original. Makes a good base sauce and works well with additions to add heat and tang, as well as thinning for use as a sweet glaze.

I'm with Bob Bailey on this !
A glaze is a thin, watered down coating.
Instead of using a particular sauce as a dipping sauce, one would thin it out with another liquid, then apply it thinly.
One would think a dipping sauce has more sugar in it vs the same sauce applied as a glaze.
In my mind, both a mopping sauce and a glaze are essentially the same thing.
Only difference would be that a mopping sauce is applied during the entire cook while a glaze is applied at the end of a cook.

Last edited:

Back