Sous Vide Pork

I was jealous of J. Biesinger and all his fantastic cooks especially the Sous Vide stuff. I gave my kid a challenge. He is an engineer (not the kind that drives trains) and likes challenges. I asked him to make me a Sous Vide machine for my birthday and I'll be darned he did it.

He brought it to me and explained how it worked.

There is a controller that monitors the water temperature through a probe and shuts off the electricity when it goes over Temp and turns it back on when it goes below. There is an air bubbler to circulate the water.

DSCN0667.jpg

I hooked it up to a roaster an gave it a try.

DSCN0669.jpg

I went to my butcher and explained what I needed. I picked out a nice Pork Loin off the shelf then I asked him to slice into 1 1/2 inch steaks, season it with their BBQ rub, then Cry-O-Vac it.

DSCN0664.jpg

After that I set the temperature on the controller. I set it to 139 degrees because I noticed it would run about 1 to 1 1/2 degrees over the selected temp. My kid explained this is due to it being shut off and the coils still continue heat for a few seconds causing it to go over a little.

DSCN0676.jpg

Then as Ron Popiel used to say " Just set it and forget it " put it in the water bath and that is it. This cooked for 12 hours at 140 degrees

DSCN0668.jpg

The good thing is all you have to do when you want to eat is get a hot fire and sear the meat because it is already cooked to the ideal temp.

So enough explanation and on to the grill.

Started out with some Roasted Street Corn.

DSCN0680.jpg

Then when it was time I cut open the bag and threw the steaks on the grill and can you believe it they were on and off the grill so fast I didn't get a picture.

But I did get a picture of your plate.

DSCN0684.jpg
DSCN0683.jpg

Thanks for looking

It's nice to have someone handy in the family. Nice looking plate of food Bill, our sweet corn is just becoming available around these parts.

Great looking chops (and corn, and 'taters).

What did you think of the SV vs "traditional"?

OK. That's pretty doggone brilliant. I have a big slow-cooker, and I'm thinking I have to try this.

I was jealous of J. Biesinger and all his fantastic cooks especially the Sous Vide stuff

icon_biggrin.gif

congrats on the new toy. PM me if you have any questions. I can send you the momofuku 48 hr rib recipe which is probably the best use for you new rig, it's incredible (I just ran a massive batch for a party we are doing on friday).

how did the pork come out? I'm not sure you needed 12 hrs to get the 1.5" loin steaks to temp and pasteurized. There should be pretty good time, temp, thickness charts out there that can help you. I suppose if you had to start it before work and eat after then I guess you were stuck with 12 hrs.

When I do chops sous vide,i've found out that a couple of hours is enough. They turn out super tasty, moist and tender.

Sousvide is really something to try.

Thank you for all of your kind replies. Now for the answer to the question. Grilling or Sous Vide. The taste was great, perfectly cooked, tender just great but you only have to spend about 7-8 minutes on the grill and you meal is ready, heck it's ready before you grill it the last part is just for looks.

I just like to hang around the grill for a little more than 10 minutes. I love my grill and all it entails. So I will use it for large amounts of food for a group where you can bang out alot of food quick, or when I am working a 12 hour day and just need a quick shot on the grill and its done.

But I have to give my kid credit, he made me exactly what I wanted and who could ask for anything more. Happy Birthday to me.

Love your kids

Thanks

Back