Something new and really neat

No room at the inn for something I might use three times a season. A friend of mine built one at his cabin up near Ely, He goes there maybe a week a year. I just don’t quite see any broader use for a dedicated piece of equipment like that, I’m just not that big a pizza guy, and, I love a good pizza!

I guess I have to follow that logic. But, I do love pizza. Even so, if I ate a pizza once a week, every week, I still couldn't justify it. Maybe you could back bread and cook pies in there as well? :)

Or maybe your buddy gets rid of bodies during his week up north? ;)

They're useful for more than pizza. I remember on one of my trips to Italy our hosts had one inside their home in the kitchen and at their "mountain house" they had one outdoors and they put EVERYTHING in those ovens (ribs, steak, roasts you name it)
o10k92.jpg
and
10qcpxi.jpg

This was at their mountain house. The guys were our hosts. The younger guy "Bruno" is the dad of one of the exchange students we hosted over the years, the older "Luigi" (you know I can't make this stuff up LOL) is her maternal grandfather. We were at the mountain house in the Alpi Orobi region northeast of Brescia Italy. The photo with them smiling at me, was purely candid. I had walked up to them and simply shouted "hey Bruno eh Luigi" and they turned and smiled. The end result was a priceless photo. Inside that oven was more kinds of delicious meats (ribs, sausages, roasts, chicken you name it) but oddly enough no pizza LOL.
The meat was basted with a delightful chimi churi made with parsley, garlic, chili flakes, EVOO, salt, pepper, a hint of vinegar IIRC anyway as those meats cooked racks were pulled out and basted occasionally and we sat outdoors at a table the size of an aircraft carrier on a covered ceramic tile patio. I think about 25 to 30 people in all. Much wine, laughter, and food flowed for hours and hours well into the night. Espresso, grapa, cheeses and fruits followed. It was pretty close to midnight before we left that table to sleep. The next day it started all over again!
Sorry for the long winded post. But seeing this brought a flood of wonderful memories

Larry,
Now that looks and sounds like a spectacular time! The scenery from that part of Italy looks a lot like the Asheville NC area where our family lived for seven years.

Jon

I suppose there are myriad uses for the things but, some of the people I know that have decided they have got to have one are not that adventurous. If I had one I might feel differently but, I don’t so fire em if you got em.
In Italy, I’d be using that rascal for a beautiful leg of lamb and roasted vegetables! You bet!

Thanks guys. It was an amazing trip. We did Germany and Italy. In Germany we traveled to the far NE part into the former DDR (east Germany), and all around the Cologne and Dusseldorf area. Saw castles and vineyards stayed with wonderful people, learned so so much. The Italy trip also was amazing. We saw Venice which was beautiful to look at but was actually kind of horrible due to the relentless heat. Constant mid to upper 90s F and many times 100+. Humid beyond belief and nowhere could you find AC because they just don't do AC in Europe. I went many more times since BTW having worked for a major airline allowed me to travel free. Which I took advantage of.

Back