Some Jalapeno Cheese Brats - Fresh

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
These will eventually hit the grill, so I think they count? :) I'd been thinking about making a batch of sausage for a few weeks now, and the video that @Dustin Dorsey posted pushed me over the edge. These will mostly get eaten at a gathering tomorrow, so I didn't really have time to do a cured/smoked sausage, so went for some fresh brats. Here's the formula, ingredients listed by percentage of the fat/lean in the recipe:

1.8% Kosher salt
.27% Black pepper, fresh ground
.22% Ginger, Dried
.22% Nutmeg, Dried
8% Water, Ice Cold
2 Eggs, Large
6 Jalapenos, small dice (per 5lbs fat/lean)
6 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese, small dice (per 5lbs fat/lean)
~10 Feet 32/35mm hog casings (Syracuse Casing Company)

I ground up 4lbs of pork shoulder, and a bit over a pound of pork belly in my grinder

1652985123650.jpeg

While the meat was back in the fridge getting as cold as possible, I got the ingredients together

1652985149008.jpeg

I like to mix the spices with the ice water. Got all of that, along with the ground meat into a hotel pan and mixed like there was no tomorrow!!!

1652985223573.jpeg

Loaded up my Enterprise stuffer, slid on a tubed casing (SO much easier to get on the stuffing horn with the tube), and stuffed a long ring/snake of bratwurst

1652985281117.jpeg

Linked it up into ~5" links, and slid everything onto my makeshift "drying rack" (my wife's favorite!) :)

1652985313843.jpeg

I had about half a cup of meat leftover in the stuffer, which I plan to make into patties for a sandwich when lunch rolls around.......

Including my run to the store, I got this batch done in about 2 hours including clean up. Not too shabby!

Rich

Last edited:
I love making a little patty usually with that last little bit left in the stuffing horn. Those sausages look phenomenal!
Thanks, Dustin! I always admire your links, so high praise! If you ever need casings, I highly recommend the pre-tubed casings from Syracuse Casing Company. Each tube is enough for 5 lbs, and they are SO easy to load on the horn. In addition, the casings are very high quality, unlike some of the "home pack" stuff that I've had in the past......and for cheaper! :)

R

I've been wanting to buy some from them. How long will those keep? I've kept the home pack ones for ages. The last batch I made I had a few blowouts which I normally don't have a problem with. So I'm looking to upgrade.

I've been wanting to buy some from them. How long will those keep? I've kept the home pack ones for ages. The last batch I made I had a few blowouts which I normally don't have a problem with. So I'm looking to upgrade.
They say a year, but I'd guess longer. I did the math at one point, and figured I only need to use 1/2-2/3 of the package to stay at the same cost per foot, the the quality is SO much better. I never liked the inconsistent lengths and sizes in the home packs, and many of them had casings with holes and such. The Syracuse ones are top notch, never had a blowout (that wasn't my fault from overstuffing). This batch as smooth as butter.

R

Back