So why doesn't the meat cooperate?

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
I got up at 3.30am. Planned to put a large brisket on at 4 and cook 12-14 hours. Serve at 7.30pm or so. I'm cooking at 250 give or take 10*. Well, at 9am the packer is already at 160. I'm thinking it is going to be ready way too soon. We'll see.
8 are coming for dinner and we only have one oven so I need to rely on the cooler to keep the meat warm. Wish me well, this may get interesting.

Out of curiosity, how big is your brisket? I like to cook mine at 260 and I can get through a 10 pounder in about 7 hours.

Hopefully you'll have a 3 hour stall :)

Oh...and like I always tell my impatient wife, "it will be done when it's done". Planning around a finish time is never an exact science.

Last edited:
Five hours to reach the stall is not unusual. Hard to say for sure, but it doesn't seem like you'll be done before 11-12 hours. Tight wrap in foil or 2-3 layers of butcher paper in a cooler with towels will be good for 4-5 hours. Franklin tip: Put 4-5 tablespoons of butter on top of it before you wrap it for the rest period.

Jeff

Earlier this year I kept a brisket for four hours in a cooler, wrapped in foil and towels.

Just don't let it drop below 140* , it becomes unsafe at lower than 140.

Thank you guys...I am in luck, it did stall long enough that the cooler will keep it hot.
I like the pro tip...BUTTER, never tried that one. Cooler is pre-heating.
Brisket is at 187. I used the rub I posted: Nuther Brisket Rub. It's got some heat.

Bob, I have used the hottest tap water method. Fill cooler 2/3's full with hot tap water. If I plan well, it will sit for 30 min. or so.

Foiling liquid:

Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar & apple juice.

For beef, this combo is a favorite.

Cook temp: this packer only went up to 187*
It was very juicy.

To heat my cooler I use a couple of fire bricks. I heat them in the smoker and then wrap them in a towel so they don't damage my cooler. I have used this method many times to hold ribs for 3-4 hours and still have them steaming when I open the foil they are wrapped in

The pitfall of using a warmer, however, is for the meat to not continue to cook in the warmer.

Taking it straight from the smoker, wrapping in foil, and going into a warmer and the brisket will continue to cook. Aaron Franklin says to let the brisket set on the counter unwrapped to cool down before wrapping and putting in the warmer.

The pitfall of using a warmer, however, is for the meat to not continue to cook in the warmer.

Taking it straight from the smoker, wrapping in foil, and going into a warmer and the brisket will continue to cook. Aaron Franklin says to let the brisket set on the counter unwrapped to cool down before wrapping and putting in the warmer.

That's good advice, Lynn. I think 170° is where the continued cook stops. BTW, Franklin's Cambros are set to 140°

Jeff

Back