So, I'm assembling a kettle for my best friend's 26th wedding anniversary . . . (Done!)

+$6 Bills, quite the gift & gesture....very nice!
Yeah, it's up there. I'd rather have bought the Master-Touch Premium for $350 and been done with it. But this is better. Don't forget to subtract off the crimson kettle new legs, wheels, triangle, grate, 2 handles, new M-T hub caps, and extra wheel caps that I now have for another grill. What's that worth, $130+?

So now we're $120 over the cost of a Master-Touch Premium, with a stainless hinge (not the janky Weber hinge), a kettle in a cool color (M-T P only black) and the complete SnS stainless system and other custom parts. Yet, still in the same arena as a new Weber Performer and about half the price of a Summit Kamado. Believe me, I'm a cheapskate, I did the cost analysis. :)

Last edited:
I don't know the size yet. Hinge should be here today. (Hahahahaha, that wasn't directed toward you).

They should be 1/4" - 20 x 5/8 if from unknown bbq. I just replaced all mine with button socket head screws. Smaller head but much better then the stock slotted and phillips. All are 18-8 stainless. They also have lock nuts. You need the lock washer or it will loosen. I should state that's for a wsm hinge.

Last edited:
How about some of my rib or brisket recipes or maybe a Weber cookbook?

And I certainly would not call you a cheapskate. You are a very, very thoughtful friend. :love:

Ha, yeah, great idea. Be funny to wrap it in a box before cooking too. You pick the meat, B.A. , what should we cook for a 26th anniversary on a new kettle?
I got a some consultant help from my wife on this one. She says for a quick cook? Surf and Turf; thick cut. reverse seared ribeyes and a skewer or two of big shrimp kissed with pecan and mesquite smoke. Of course, seasoned to your preference; dry brined, hand rubbed, etc.... choices, choices. .Gonna be an awesome day.

Great idea Tim, I'm looking forward to seeing the final product. Sounds like it's going to be awesome, and judging by your other work that we've seen, I know that it will come out great. I'm sure that your friends will appreciate your skills and generosity.

Charlie

I got a some consultant help from my wife on this one. She says for a quick cook? Surf and Turf; thick cut. reverse seared ribeyes and a skewer or two of big shrimp kissed with pecan and mesquite smoke. Of course, seasoned to your preference; dry brined, hand rubbed, etc.... choices, choices. .Gonna be an awesome day.
Excellent choice B.A. Please tell the Mrs. I said thanks too. Surf and turf it is. I even have some pecan and hickory chunks. Thank you. :)

Tim can I point out a fatal flaw in your decision. Why oh why didn't you get a 26er for the 26th wedding anniversary?

Just ribbing...
Oh. My. Gosh.

As obvious as it is, I totally never thought of that! Brilliant idea. I figured if I posted the thread there would be some good ideas and I'm not disappointed.

A 26" might be a bit much for these guys though. Plus increase the budget even more. Still an awesome idea.

Thank you James. I usually make my own rubs , so what's your favorite?
Even better, if you know the kind of food they like, mix up a few.

I'm all over the place with seasonings, some that I grill for don't like to much heat or spice, so it all depends on who's eating what.
Plus I don't get to grill or smoke as much as a lot of you guys, I wish I could.

Wow Tim, that's awesome..I cant think of anything else. youve thought of stuff that i never would have.. Great gift, thinking way out of the box.. Nice job

Back