So, I'm assembling a kettle for my best friend's 26th wedding anniversary . . . (Done!)

Tim, SWMBO and I will be 30 years on this August. Just sayin’...
But seriously, that is a grand thing for a dear friend. Good for you buddy!
Simply send some Maine lobsters and waygu beef, I’ll take care of the cooking!😂😂😂

Parts have started to arrive for the anniversary grill. First thing was installing the hinge. Installation was easy, but determining the location was not. I set the grill up unconventionally, I know. But here are my reasons.

~ The bowl handle will be engraved wood, so no hooks, I decided to put the handle out of the way in the back.
~ Hinge on the left, being right handed I want my grill tools in my right hand, open the lid with the left.
~ Hinge opens to the side, rather than the back, less chance of burns I suspect.
~ Vent in the front because I keep the Slow 'N Sear and my elevated rack in the back.
~ Moved the One-Touch to between the wheels, under the lid vent, for easy access to temp controls.
~ If you carry your grill often (like up and down deck steps), I'd put the hinge opposite of the handle.

I put a few coats of aluminum mag wheel wax on all the bright parts and added a few coats of clear paint to the lower triangle, maybe that will give it a few extra years before it gets rusty. The Master-Touch wheels and legs are very nice, actual rubber wheels (?) and the height is an improvement. I don't think Weber offered a Crimson Master-Touch, so that's kinda cool to have.

anniversary grill.JPG

It felt weird drilling holes in a brand new kettle. This is the first new kettle I ever bought. Are they all this clean when new :LOL: ? I also added a lid gasket as this kettle is intended to be a smoker. Man, that gasket really gives the kettle a quality feel, so quiet closing the lid! (Installed hinge after gasket installation, to assure proper fit). I also added an 18mm temp probe grommet. I prefer the smaller grommets, still plenty of room for two or three probes without milling a huge hole for the larger grommets. All the drilled holes got 3 coats of high temp black paint.

Anniversary grill 2.JPG

The Unknown BBQ hinge is nicely made, not great, but nice. That hardware though? What were they thinking? Bolts are too long, and those exposed fingers on the lock washers and exposed threads will just trap gunk, particularly if you put them inside the bowl. I ordered proper internal tooth lock washers and cap nuts (acorn) as well as shorter screws and some aluminum washers. Weber used aluminum washers against the bowl on my Performer, so I'm going to do the same. I'll post a photo of the hinge with the new hardware when it arrives.

anniversary grill hinge.JPG

The SnS deluxe package arrived, but I'm not happy with the EasySpin Grate, as it doesn't sit flat. Has a good 1/4"-3/8" wobble in certain positions. It's annoying. This is the second time I had a problem with one of their grates, the first had a broken handle that I had to pack up and send back for exchange. I have an email out to them. Made in China, you'd think for the price of that stuff it could be made in the States.

Last edited:
Parts have started to arrive for the anniversary grill. First thing was installing the hinge. Installation was easy, but determining the location was not. I set the grill up unconventionally, I know. But here are my reasons.

~ The bowl handle will be engraved wood, so no hooks, I decided to put the handle out of the way in the back.
~ Hinge on the left, being right handed I want my grill tools in my right hand, open the lid with the left.
~ Hinge opens to the side, rather than the back, less chance of burns I suspect.
~ Vent in the front because I keep the Slow 'N Sear and my elevated rack in the back.
~ Moved the One-Touch to between the wheels, under the lid vent, for easy access to temp controls.
~ If you carry your grill often (like up and down deck steps), I'd put the hinge opposite of the handle.

I put a few coats of aluminum mag wheel wax on all the bright parts and added a few coats of clear paint to the lower triangle, maybe that will give it a few extra years before it gets rusty. The Master-Touch wheels and legs are very nice, actual rubber wheels (?) and the height is an improvement. I don't think Weber offered a Crimson Master-Touch, so that's kinda cool to have.

View attachment 32720

It felt weird drilling holes in a brand new kettle. This is the first new kettle I ever bought. Are they all this clean when new :LOL: ? I also added a lid gasket as this kettle is intended to be a smoker. Man, that gasket really gives the kettle a quality feel, so quiet closing the lid! (Installed hinge after gasket installation, to assure proper fit). I also added an 18mm temp probe grommet. I prefer the smaller grommets, still plenty of room for two or three probes without milling a huge hole for the larger grommets. All the drilled holes got 3 coats of high temp black paint.

View attachment 32722

The Unknown BBQ hinge is nicely made, not great, but nice. That hardware though? What were they thinking? Bolts are too long, and those exposed fingers on the lock washers and exposed threads will just trap gunk, particularly if you put them inside the bowl. I ordered proper lock washers and cap nuts (acorn) as well as shorter screws and some aluminum washers. Weber used aluminum washers against the bowl on my Performer, so I'm going to do the same. I'll post a photo of the hinge with the new hardware when it arrives.

View attachment 32723

The SnS deluxe package arrived, but I'm not happy with the EasySpin Grate, as it doesn't sit flat. Has a good 3/8 wobble in certain positions. It's annoying. This is the second time I had a problem with one of their grates, the first had a broken handle that I had to pack up and send back for exchange. I have an email out to them. Made in China, you'd think for the price of that stuff it could be made in the States.
Tim turn them around. The screws and lock nuts should go on the inside of the kettle and the heads on the outside. Also get 1/2"vs 5/8" if the length bothers you or just cut them flush.

Tim turn them around. The screws and lock nuts should go on the inside of the kettle and the heads on the outside. Also get 1/2"vs 5/8" if the length bothers you or just cut them flush.
Yes, I ordered 1/2" slotted (Weber uses slotted on the Performer) stainless truss head screws. I'd prefer the screw heads inside the grill as they will be easier to clean and there is a bit of a clearance issue with the EasySpin Grate. I think the hinge will look good with the internal tooth lock washers and the acorn nuts on the outside. I'll post a photo when the new hardware arrives and you guys can be the judge.

Oh, and the hardware was like $6.00, so it's not like it broke the bank. I think for a $60.00 hinge it wouldn't cost them that much to improve their hardware package. I see no reason for 5/8" hardware when clearly 1/2" would work, unless the hinge also fits a cast aluminum grill or something.

The external tooth lock washers are just going to grab crud, swap them with internal tooth washers for a cleaner look.

Last edited:
Yes, I ordered 1/2" slotted (Weber uses slotted on the Performer) stainless truss head screws. I'd prefer the screw heads inside the grill as they will be easier to clean and there is a bit of a clearance issue with the EasySpin Grate. I think the hinge will look good with the internal tooth lock washers and the acorn nuts on the outside. I'll post a photo when the new hardware arrives and you guys can be the judge.

Oh, and the hardware was like $6.00, so it's not like it broke the bank. I think for a $60.00 hinge it wouldn't cost them that much to improve their hardware package. I see no reason for 5/8" hardware when clearly 1/2" would work, unless the hinge also fits a cast aluminum grill or something.

The external tooth lock washers are just going to grab crud, swap them with internal tooth washers for a cleaner look.
I went with button socket cap screws. I hate Slotted and Phillip screw heads. The lock washers are pretty important even with them they still loosen from time to time.

I went with button socket cap screws. I hate Slotted and Phillip screw heads. The lock washers are pretty important even with them they still loosen from time to time.

I only went with the slotted screw because I thought it would be the easiest to clean and it's what Weber uses. I'm still going to use lock washers, they just look like these.

lock-washer-internal-tooth.gif

Tim,
It looks great so far! Hinge position looks/works just fine!
If your friend decides to add a RCW table in the future (if available) that would mean it attaches to the handle putting the hinge in the back position. Not sure if that is what your thought was but I think that would be a good thing.

I know what you are getting at with the bolts! If you wouldn’t mind posting exactly what you ordered I would appreciate it. I want to clean up the look on mine as well.

The probe grommet… Better choice than I made. I’m not crazy about the ones I have. They do not sit flush against the kettle and do not seal. Plus I need to reverse the bolts/nuts and have the nuts on the outside which means smaller acorn nuts.
I have the SNS Plancha and it is a super tight fit with the nuts on the inside and when the metal heats and expands the Plancha was not removable because of the small port bolt facing inside.

Spinning grate… I have never been a fan of any of them.

Great color choice!

Fantastic job so far! I am looking forward to more progress pics!

Not to be that guy, but here goes.

For a 26th anniversary, shouldn't this be a 26 kettle? :unsure:

Seriously, great idea. I'm sure your friends will love it. The custom wheels are a great touch.
Yeah Jim, you're like 3rd in line to be "that guy". :ROFLMAO: That's perfectly fine, I started the thread looking for ideas and suggestions.

Absolutely never crossed my mind to do a 26". Yeah, I know, right?

While it is an outstanding idea, the 26" would probably be a bit big for the two of them, and it would have increased my budget even more.

Tim,
It looks great so far! Hinge position looks/works just fine!
If your friend decides to add a RCW table in the future (if available) that would mean it attaches to the handle putting the hinge in the back position. Not sure if that is what your thought was but I think that would be a good thing.

I know what you are getting at with the bolts! If you wouldn’t mind posting exactly what you ordered I would appreciate it. I want to clean up the look on mine as well.

The probe grommet… Better choice than I made. I’m not crazy about the ones I have. They do not sit flush against the kettle and do not seal. Plus I need to reverse the bolts/nuts and have the nuts on the outside which means smaller acorn nuts.
I have the SNS Plancha and it is a super tight fit with the nuts on the inside and when the metal heats and expands the Plancha was not removable because of the small port bolt facing inside.

Spinning grate… I have never been a fan of any of them.

Great color choice!

Fantastic job so far! I am looking forward to more progress pics!
Thanks Charlie.

It took me longer to decide where to mount the hinge than it did to actually mount it. Man, I did not want to drill that kettle and regret my decision. Although I fear someone here will find a fatal flaw :ROFLMAO:.

Yeah, I didn't get the grate for the spin thing. I like it because it's stainless and the access door is the right size for the Slow 'N Sear. SnS did get back to me about the warped grate, I'm sending it back and they are sending another. I asked if they are having problems with these because this is my second defective one. They said they aren't having problems. Okay, just my bad luck then.

If you like my bolt kit for the hinge . . . I ordered three complete sets. Makes sense with shipping and all to have extras.

Last edited:
So you have an extra you don’t mind parting with? I’ll take it if that is the case.
I didn't want to spend $5.00 to ship $6.00 in hardware, so I ordered $18.00 in hardware :). I figured I'd use them at some point or move them along. If you like them you're welcome to a set for what I paid.

That works although I am still going to need to get acorn nuts for the probe hole bolts once I figure out the size I need.
Like you, It may be cheaper to just order everything through bolt dept because of shipping.
I’ll get back to you. Thanks!

That works although I am still going to need to get acorn nuts for the probe hole bolts once I figure out the size I need.
Like you, It may be cheaper to just order everything through bolt dept because of shipping.
I’ll get back to you. Thanks!
Here is what I ordered. Although I'd advise anyone to wait until I install, just to make sure everything works okay.

hinge hardware.JPG

I only went with the slotted screw because I thought it would be the easiest to clean and it's what Weber uses. I'm still going to use lock washers, they just look like these.

View attachment 32746
Yeah I knew what lock washers you're referencing. I think they may make self locking acorn nuts?

5/32 allen wrench and 7/16 box end work so much better. The buttons are much better then slotted or phillips. Give them a try sometime. Not sure what weber uses but mine corroded. I went with all 18-8 304 stainless. I even keep everything in the garage.

Here is what I ordered. Although I'd advise anyone to wait until I install, just to make sure everything works okay.

View attachment 32751
Tim, Did you happen to see the width of the screw head? They come in different widths. I ordered the button heads smaller then the original weber screws. They fit the fiber washers better. They should list the specs. Also got smaller washers. The washers I got are 1/4 x 1/2 x 1/16 18-8 stainless. The originals are 1/4 x 5/8 I believe. Those are for the wsm legs so it doesn't apply for your kettle.

Original hardware on the left, my choice of hardware on the right.

upgrade hardware 2.JPG

upgrade hardware 3.JPG

Below, my hardware on the left, original on the right. I feel good about the aluminum washers against the kettle. Weber must do it for a reason. I believe the aluminum will conform the the slight curve of the bowl and the aluminum will protect the porcelain from the expansion/contration/flexing of the hard steel screws. I also think the washers give a higher standard of build appearance.

I chose slotted screws because that's what Weber has used in the past and I believe they will be easier to clean than other choices. Have fun digging a couple of years of hardened gunk out of that screw on the right.

You can see how close the grate is to the screw heads, that's why I put the nuts on the outside.

upgrade hardware.JPG

Original hardware on the left, my choice of hardware on the right.

View attachment 32794

View attachment 32795

Below, my hardware on the left, original on the right. I feel good about the aluminum washers against the kettle. Weber must do it for a reason. I believe the aluminum will conform the the slight curve of the bowl and the aluminum will protect the porcelain from the expansion/contration/flexing of the hard steel screws. I also think the washers give a higher standard of build appearance.

I chose slotted screws because that's what Weber has used in the past and I believe they will be easier to clean than other choices. Have fun digging a couple of years of hardened gunk out of that screw on the right.

You can see how close the grate is to the screw heads, that's why I put the nuts on the outside.

View attachment 32796
Did you see the 18-8 with black oxide finish? Was thinking about getting some and see how they look and hold up.

That is a terrific gift and kudos to you for going to all that work, they’ll love it. But I can’t help but think a 26” kettle would have stolen the show on their 26th anniversary. 😉

Back