So, I'm assembling a kettle for my best friend's 26th wedding anniversary . . . (Done!)

Tim Snyder

TVWBB Super Fan
My friends have a Weber gas grill that they love from the mid 1990s, but no charcoal grill. They often comment on my kettle collection and they talk about getting into charcoal. My wife and I thought it would be a cool anniversary gift to get them a nice Weber kettle. But. . . have you tried to buy a "special" Weber kettle lately? Impossible, nobody has anything in stock.

So I decided to just put one together. They often comment on my Crimson kettle, so that was an easy find from my local Ace Hardware.

crimson ace.JPG

Next, I had wanted to buy the Master-Touch Premium, with the hinge. I know my friends, and I think they'd like the hinge. I just don't see them dealing with a loose lid. Since the M-T Premium is unobtanium, I bought the Unknown BBQ Hinge instead. I'll add some nice acorn nuts as I think the exposed threads and regular nuts look like crap.

1626026833533.png

I thought some anniversary customization would be cool, so I contacted Chuck's Inserts on Facebook and we designed some custom wheel inserts.

215085849_4474743729224033_7034278647233087127_n.jpg

Chuck seems like a great guy, we were chatting about grills and stuff and sharing our projects. He's also a SSP fan and I showed him my recent Performer projects. He flipped over my custom 5lb propane tank cover so we worked out a trade. What a blast.

tank cover4.JPG

I also added a few custom walnut handles from River City with our friend's wedding date engraved (and the Weber logo, of course). We thought the walnut would go great with the Crimson. River City also suggested the vent handle in walnut, so who could turn that down for $8.00. River City also seems like a very nice guy. He put the order in as a rush for me as we only have two weeks to complete the project. He said he had some blank walnut handles ready to engrave, so that was a benefit.

Chuck's Inserts advised trying to find a Master-Touch 8" wheel set, as there is more "real estate" for the lettering on the 8" wheel inserts vs the 6". Luckily, I had already purchased a Master-Touch wheel set from eBay from someone who mounted their new Master-Touch kettle in a custom table. I was going to put these on my favorite user grill, but, oh well . . .
M-T wheels.JPG

Next, since the premium Weber kettles come with deluxe grate systems, I picked up the SnS Platinum Package. I love mine, expensive, but worth every penny. I think the stainless construction alone makes it superior to any stock Weber grate system.

SnS bundle.JPG

Since my friends do use there Weber Gas grill quite often, they have some grill accessories. But I thought I'd pick up:

~charcoal
~chimney
~propane torch
~starter cubes
~cover
~hardwood chunks

Can you folks think of anything else I might be missing?

I'll post some photos as the project progresses.

Thanks for reading the thread. ~~ Tim

Last edited:
Wow that will be a great gift!!
My neighbor got a WSM 18 and I ran out and got him a chimney starter. Haha that is amazing what your doing.

Thank you Bruno. The project has evolved over time and my wife and I are just thrilled with it. It's tough sometimes to think of good gifts for the people you love and when you get the perfect idea it's magic.

I should say that with COVID and all last year they got a "raincheck" for their anniversary. So this is like 2 years of a gift. If that makes any sense.

Thank you Bruno. The project has evolved over time and my wife and I are just thrilled with it. It's tough sometimes to think of good gifts for the people you love and when you get the perfect idea it's magic.
Well said! That will really be a great lifetime grill!

Holy crap. This must be some good friend of yours!
You are really getting creative with that!

I know exactly what you mean on the low stock everywhere on kettles! I have been wanting to pick up a new ivory from Weber and have been checking their site almost daily.
The master touch premium with hinge went out of stock last week sometime.

Where are you getting the acorn nuts from? I checked my local Home Depot but didn’t find them.

Great job!

Holy crap. This must be some good friend of yours!
You are really getting creative with that!

I know exactly what you mean on the low stock everywhere on kettles! I have been wanting to pick up a new ivory from Weber and have been checking their site almost daily.
The master touch premium with hinge went out of stock last week sometime.

Where are you getting the acorn nuts from? I checked my local Home Depot but didn’t find them.

Great job!
Lately I've been getting all my hardware from boltdepot.com. Great selection, no minimum order, reasonable shipping.

Back