So I saw this at Costco today

That screams hopper fire (imho)

0e4ea2a3-e258-441d-8bc5-b217e697919a._AC_SR882,441_.png
I assume you're referring to the auger/fire pot setup. That's the same configuration Traeger and many others have used for years. As with any pellet grill, there is a possibility of a hopper fire if the grill isn't maintained or is shut down improperly. As a safety feature, most, including the Z-Grill, have a shutdown cycle that keeps the induction fan on for 10 minutes after power to the auger has been cut. This ensures that pellets remaining in the fire pot burn completely and the fire doesn't travel back through the auger tube to the hopper. My Traeger has seen heavy use since 2013 and never had a hopper fire.

To all who asked (I don't know how to combine all into one post)

Traeger has a history of hopper fires, they even "gently" refer to it here:

My point is that the fuel source has a direct line from the burn pot to the hopper and the hoper is above the fuel source. Once the flame back tracks, there's nothing to keep it from catching the hopper on fire. This specifically is why I bought the SmokeFire, it has the least direct line back to the fuel source

I did say "IMHO" and as always, YMMV

To all who asked (I don't know how to combine all into one post)

Traeger has a history of hopper fires, they even "gently" refer to it here:

My point is that the fuel source has a direct line from the burn pot to the hopper and the hoper is above the fuel source. Once the flame back tracks, there's nothing to keep it from catching the hopper on fire. This specifically is why I bought the SmokeFire, it has the least direct line back to the fuel source

I did say "IMHO" and as always, YMMV
I don't question your observations but all of the brands that use this configuration have similar histories. Traeger, being the top seller for many years, naturally has larger numbers. Most of these fires could have been prevented with simple maintenance and common sense. Several of my friends and neighbors bought Traegers about the same time as I bought mine. After nearly 9 years, none of us has had a hopper fire. We are, however, responsible adults. I'm not beating a drum for Traeger. Their quality has gone downhill to a point that I'd never buy another one.

That was a very good price thru Woot for that z grill its a lot more money thru Amazon and on their site. For those that don't know Woot is owned by Amazon so I pulled the trigger. I just decided to try a pellet grill have no need for wifi or any of that crap want something that works it will only be used for smoking to replace the UDS, the Performer and Silver C can handle high heat. To me this was an inexpensive way to give it a go and I know being a Prime Member will also get some points as I have their card. If I hate it no big deal send it back to Amazon.

Bruce thanks for posting that just spent $350 where if I stayed off the forum today would not have spent. :)

I wasn't trying to stir the pot, I was just trying to answer Bruce's question. I purchased the SmokeFire because I had hopper fire issues with the only other pellet grill I've ever owned. I purchased the Louisiana SL700 from Costco and the first time I used it, fire backtracked to the hopper. I took it back and exchanged it for another one, only to have it happen again on the first cook. It was at that point I researched hopper fires, and leaned that they are not all that uncommon. I was pretty much out of the pellet grill market until I could afford a Memphis Pellet Grill, and that wasn't going to happen until I retire, which is still 35 months out from now. I discovered the SmokeFire, and IMHO, it has the best design for pellet delivery in pellet grills that cost < $2K (USD) For the most part, I'm pretty happy with the SmokeFire, it has it's faults, but it seems I have a handle on it's faults.

I'm not putting down Trager, or Z Grills, I've never had one. There's plenty of great Trager cooks on the forum, not so sure about Z Grills, but maybe? I understand about getting into the hobby as affordably as possible, I was just trying to spare Bruce (and anyone else) the heartache of a fire. (My Genny tried to take me out a year or so ago, so I'm not a fan BBQ fires)

Here's a video about the Z Grill and how to resolve the smoke coming out of the hopper. I'll just say this: Where there's smoke, there's fire

Towards the original post, Traeger has been making portables for years, they’ve never been well reviewed or recommended. ASmoke and the GMG Trek are likely far better choices.

As far as the path the thread has traveled, hopper fires are a possibility in many pellet grills, but a pretty rare occurrence. Especially since shutdown cycles have been added to controllers. It’s a good idea after high temp cooks to run the shutdown with lid open too on many grills. Most of the pellet grills I’ve had have used the Traeger style auger/firepot and (knock on wood) I’ve never had a hopper fire. I always clean my firepot regularly though so its not half full of ash.

I‘ve also never owned a Louisiana/Dansons/Pit Boss grill and never plan to. I have seen few good things ever said about them and see more broken displays than not in stores. So they always scream junk to me. I know they have plenty of happy users, but by the numbers seem to show up in more bad You Tube videos and disgruntled forum posts than any other pellet grill.

@ChuckO Memphis Grills are gorgeous well built machines. However, they are made in China now as of a couple years ago and if you plan to use it for both low and high heat cooking, you’ll want to make sure to use drip pans. With their design, you loose a lot of cooking space doing so. Their grease collection design passes grease right past the fire to get to the trays. If you increase temps on fatty foods from say 225 to 300 to push through the stall, a bunch of fat that has been collecting on the drip tray will liquify rush right past the fire pot and can start a fire very easily. I had more fires than I care to even think about always starting with a clean grill. I had the Pro, so really didn’t have enough extra room to use drip pans.

Last edited:
Dumb question, but if the pellets get soggy or deteriorate, do you empty the hopper at the end of a cook?

Dumb question, but if the pellets get soggy or deteriorate, do you empty the hopper at the end of a cook?
I never intentionally empty mine, they just stay in the hopper, there is a door to empty the pellets. but my grill doesn’t sit in the rain or elements when not being used. I have a Broil King, it’s a tank, made of 14 ga. steel and weighs 300 lbs.

If you ever find damp or soggy pellets in the hopper you need to get them out and then run the auger until it's empty, ASAP. If they dry out in the auger tube it will seize the auger and you'll need to remove it to free it up. BTDT, once when we had a torrential rain, 50+ MPH wind and I'd forgotten to put the cover on.

For $349 I am really loooking forward to the Z grill reviews. I saw them in Safeway last year and was waiting for a crazy sale as they couldn’t seem to get rid of the last 2, then one day they were gone.

Looks like a lot of pellet grill for the price.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to stir the pot
Nothing wrong with stirring the pot by the way the Smokefire has its own issues and the more I research these pellet grills they all have some kind of warts although Rich has 200 cooks on his Camp Chef with no problems. But that does not mean every Camp Chef owner does not have issues n or Smokefire owners who have had zero issues.

All I ask of this z grill is that it gets to 275 holds the temp within reason don't have to worry about the left side or the right side having different temps maybe that is to good to be true. And of course not have to worry about pellet bridging but I do high heat smoking so ribs at 275 done in less than 5 hours and my spatchcock turkey I did on the UDS for Thanksgiving at 350 took less than 3 hours.

This will be used 7 or 8 times a year and there was no way I was going to spend 800 or a grand for a pellet grill when I actually have never tasted anything off a pellet grill since I do not know anyone who owns one so we will see. Again it will never be used for steaks or whatever and for this price what is the worst that happens you dump it for 150 bucks if you hate it.

Let me clear on this I get people who get into pellet grilling want a better unit cause they love it and certainly there are people who love there SmokeFires despite the baby sitting and who cares its your money and get what you want no need to bash peoples' choices and I am not saying anyone is doing that. Kind of excited to try this thing out.

Many (most?) pellets have the burn pot recessed, so most of the pellets fall down into it. Most aren’t direct back that I’ve seen. Certainly not to the extent Weber went, but hopper fires are largely a thing of the past and not a real concern.

Cue 30 guys who had a hopper fire this past weekend with their brand new pellet 🤣

For $349 I am really loooking forward to the Z grill reviews. I SMSA’s them in Safeway last year and was waiting for a crazy sale as they couldn’t seem to get rid of the last 2, then one day they were gone.

Looks like a lot of pellet grill for the price.
Mine should be here around the 9th going away for a weekend so the first thing I will do when I come back is some ribs so I will update everyone but I have never cooked on a pellet grill before so not sure my input has any value.

Back