Smoking ribs on 22 WSM for first time. Cold. Advice

Bill Herns

I am using my 22 WSM for first time tomorrow...3 racks of ribs. Gonna be cold in the morning.....30s. Any advice on keeping heat up or starting?
Thanks.

Nothing different. If you're using water, put it in warm. Otherwise, nothing.

It'll be good to you :)

Sorry for the delay...ribs were good, not great. Consistency was great but hoping for more smokey flavor. Keep in mind I am my own worse critic!

Using no water is fine IF you've got some experience at controlling the temps. Like training wheels, you won't always need them but they help in the beginning.

We had 40 degrees in the blue ridge the other day, but worse than that, it was breezy with intermittent gusts. I saw some posts here, where some of you used welding blankets wrapped around the wsm. I stopped by Harbor Freight, and they had a 4x6 foot blanket rated to 1000 degrees. I tied the two corner grommets on the long axis together with some hemp twine, and it created a perfect cover from draft and insulator. I was able to run probe cables through side, and easily slide whole thing off and on when I needed access under the lid.
Having lived in Michigan for a few years, I would suggest that you consider getting one.

Sometimes the smoke flavor seems diminished due to your nose getting filled with smoke while cooking. Many here have mentioned the same thing and also have noticed that the food tastes much smokier the next day.

Excellent point, Al. Mine always tastes better (to me) the next day. As for water vs. no water, I wonder if that really has any effect on taste? It comes up in virtually every thread, no matter the topic.

Sometimes the smoke flavor seems diminished due to your nose getting filled with smoke while cooking. Many here have mentioned the same thing and also have noticed that the food tastes much smokier the next day.

We had 40 degrees in the blue ridge the other day, but worse than that, it was breezy with intermittent gusts. I saw some posts here, where some of you used welding blankets wrapped around the wsm. I stopped by Harbor Freight, and they had a 4x6 foot blanket rated to 1000 degrees. I tied the two corner grommets on the long axis together with some hemp twine, and it created a perfect cover from draft and insulator. I was able to run probe cables through side, and easily slide whole thing off and on when I needed access under the lid.
Having lived in Michigan for a few years, I would suggest that you consider getting one.

Hey Scott, I've been using kao-wool insulation blanket for about 15 years now.. I would recommend it to everyone, you'll find that you use a ridiculously small amount of charcoal even in the winter.

Back