Smoking Pork Shoulders??

LOL! I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I much prefered that channel when I was learning something. It really hurts seeing even Alton going that way.
I used to watch the Food Network all the time. Two Hot Tamales, Sara Moulton doing a daily show, cooking while talking to her guest, David Somebody-whose-name-I've-forgotten. I could even tolerate Bobby Flay back when he had Jacqui Malouf as a sidekick. Emeril. And Alton, of course. Still watch Good Eats reruns sometimes. Since they've turned away from actual cooking for the most part, I've completely lost interest.

Alton will be disclosing info on the new Good Eats this weekend at the Dragon Con in Atlanta.

From the Access Atlanta website... "Brown is bringing back his quirky “Good Eats,” which ran for 14 seasons on the Food Network and elsewhere before it ended in 2011. He plans to make the formal announcement during a Dragon Con panel Sunday, appearing with other members of his “Good Eats” cast."

Ah yes, the good ol' days of TFN. David Rosengarten, I learned a lot from him. Good to hear Alton is coming back from the dark side.

Jim

Rusty;
I generally do two butts at a time, whether using my 14.5" WSM or the 18.5". After the bark is set (somewhere between 160-170 degrees) I put the butts in a disposable aluminum pan and wrap foil tightly to the pan (thereby saving the precious juices). After I pull the butts, we carefully save the liquid off the butts (including the wrapping liquid), de-grease them then freeze them for use when re-heating the vacuum wrapped left overs.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I do almost exactly as Robert does, except using the disposable aluminum pans. Great idea Robert !

I put the butts in a disposable aluminum pan and wrap foil tightly to the pan (thereby saving the precious juices). After I pull the butts, we carefully save the liquid off the butts (including the wrapping liquid), de-grease them then freeze them for use when re-heating the vacuum wrapped left overs.

You mean you use a fat separator before freezing the juices?

I've yet to save any juices. Mine get tossed with the H2O.

Rusty;
Yes, I use a fat separator before freezing the juices (that flavor is wonderful when re-heating the pork).
One other thing I do, is to swap positions on the grates when I foil in the pan. Top butt goes in the bottom and vice versa. This helps to even out the temperature difference between the grates.

Bob, thanks for the kind words.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Alton will be disclosing info on the new Good Eats this weekend at the Dragon Con in Atlanta.

From the Access Atlanta website... "Brown is bringing back his quirky “Good Eats,” which ran for 14 seasons on the Food Network and elsewhere before it ended in 2011. He plans to make the formal announcement during a Dragon Con panel Sunday, appearing with other members of his “Good Eats” cast."

Alton.. film guy for REM "the one I love" video.

Back