Smoking on the Kettle for $10 (pic heavy)

Originally posted by Regina S:
Michael that was fan-tas-tic!! Thanks for alll the pictures and play by play on the temps, how you set up the charcoal etc. I am going out today and finding an inexpensive roasting pan, and am going to try this. Thanks again a truely inspirational cook! I don't have room for a WSM, so this sure helps out in being able to smoke. Also what size is you pan,..is it a 13x9 inch??? Just so I know what size do get..

Thanks.

I just went out and measured, and the pan is a 12x16x3.

And the kettle is the 22.5 model.

Nice set up.. I think adding WSM vents on each side where the charcoal holders go and keep the bottom closed would make a nice mod.

Oh Hey Thanks Michael! I have a performer and am going to use this like you did.
Did you use one whole bag of charcoal?
Do you think it is better to use a Boston Butt or a Pork shoulder? I am not familiar as to what the difference would be in smoking or taste. Thank you in advance for the info and all of your help.

Great job Michael! I have used a similar setup many times on my kettle with great results. I did a chuck roll here on my old aqua a couple years ago and it was as good as any I ever did on my WSM. One thing I do differently is I use a pizza stone to keep the heat balanced and reduce hotspots. One thing I like about the WSM is that I can fit more in it and I can stand turkeys and hams easily. It's not necessary, but I like to cook that way now and then.

That is pretty slick! And I'm glad to see someone else putting a lot of ingenuity into using a kettle for more than grilling hamburgers!
icon_biggrin.gif

Although I don't consider it smoking, I always refer to it as smoke/roasting. In my case, I've always done it indirect and recently using bricks to shore up the coals on one side. 2 bricks made a world of difference as they act as a heat sink and keep temps more consistent.

The thing with the way you did it is that you have more room using the middle of the grate. ON the down side, the pan has direct heat under it and like you found out, any liquid in the pan will cook down pretty fast. Even using a drip pan under mine, next to the coals, I have to watch to make sure it doesn't get the pan to hot.

It's amazing though, you can just about leave them alone over night once you get the right set up. It's good to have the Maverick to alert you if it gets out of the zone, but as you proved, the kettles can hold good constant temps!

BTW, that piggy looked incredible! If it was a little dry, you can use a little finishing sauce (NC style) tossed in for moisture, and the subtle vinegar makes a world of difference on pork too!

Congrats!!

PS. I the idea of the baking stone is a good one. We have an old one I've planned on trying to figure a way to use in my WSM too. Also bricks turns up sideways with the holes horizontal. It's too much fun tinkering with these things.
icon_biggrin.gif

Also bricks turns up sideways with the holes horizontal. It's too much fun tinkering with these things.

Not to put too fine a line on it, but ordinary bricks can hold moisture and cause a steam explosion.

It is suggested that you might want to use genuine fire brick. That way, the high heat will not damage the bricks or the operator.

Here's my "Minion Method" set up with fire brick:

Weber-MinionMethod--1172_1600x1200.jpg

NOTE: I have only used this method for ribs (works beautifully) and am NOT suggesting it as competition for the above long smoke method from the O.P. It is a different method and has worked well for 4-5 hours without a problem. The point is to use fire brick - the only safe brick to use. It comes in two thicknesses - this is the thin stuff which takes up less room.

Dale53

Oh Hey Thanks Michael! I have a performer and am going to use this like you did.
Do you think it is better to use a Boston Butt or a Pork shoulder? I am not familiar as to what the difference would be in smoking or taste. Thank you in advance for the info and all of your help.

Regina, the butt is the top part of the shoulder.If you did a whole shoulder you would do the butt and the lower part of the shoulder which is called the picnic as one whole piece. In the store you find these in two separate packages. Most folks use the butt here is great info you should find helpful. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect.html

I did NOT use a whole bag of charcoal. I already had an open 20lb bag that had about 2/3 left in it, and I'd estimate that I used about half of that. So... rough math... I used about 6 or 7lbs of charcoal. And had plenty left over afterwards.

Originally posted by Corey Elks:
does this mean we can ditch our wsms

I still want a WSM though.
icon_smile.gif

I love the idea of doing lots of food at once.

And the vent being out of the way of the falling ash is a big plus.

What a great pictorial on how to get more use out of a kettle. I only have a kettle at our vacation home but with this post, I can see adding another dimension to my cooking. Good work!!!

I don't yet have a WSM, so until that glorious day I'll have to use an alternate method. I have tried the the fire brick method in my kettle and I like it. And I'm going to try this set up for sure! I have a question for Jim! I'm pretty new around here and I'm just wondering why you don't consider Michael's set up smoking? Just curious!

This was awesome! I have the 18" WSM and a few times I had wished I had the larger one. But now I can use the Performer too if I need more room. Awesome!

Update:

Did some ribs on a cookie sheet.

Read about it here.

Also... I didn't bother with the 10 pre-lit briquette thing.. . I just dumped it on the cold grate and turned on the gas assist for a couple minutes, then turned it off, closed the lid and brought it up to temp. It was awesome. I almost felt like I was cheating.

Very interesting simple technique. Thanks for sharing. Won't replace my WSM just yet, but a nice to know simple technique for smaller cooks or when I want to smoke things separately, larger cooks and need more racks, etc.

Care to share:

"injected and rubbed with my own ancient chinese secret"

icon_smile.gif

Also watching your rib post as well.

Back