Smoking on the Kettle for $10 (pic heavy)

Michael L.

TVWBB Fan
I've been reading this forum for awhile now, and have not seen anyone post this, so I thought I'd share.

I know a lot of people ask/read about smoking on the standard kettle and I've seen things like The Smokenator and The Rib-o-later, and I've seen set ups for foiling and all sorts of things, but I've never seen anyone using this. So here I go. Hope it works.

I got this roasting pan from Wally World for $10 a couple years ago when it was on sale just before Thanksgiving.

SmokingPerformer009.jpg

It fits perfectly on my grill, and I've done a bunch of chickens on it this way. It even fits perfectly between the two hinges on the cooking grate. I can only show you one because my other hand is holding the camera, but both can open even with the pan on the grill.

SmokingPerformer010.jpg

I know the WSM uses a ring to hold the charcoal together. So I decided to use my charcoal baskets in reverse fashion to restrain where my charcoal could go during the cooking process.

SmokingPerformer011.jpg

Mixed in some wood chunks (not chips).

SmokingPerformer013.jpg

SmokingPerformer014.jpg

I was finishing one bag of my favorite wood chunks, while starting a new one. So I just dumped the last little bits on top.

SmokingPerformer012.jpg

This is the final set up.

SmokingPerformer017.jpg

I went with this set up for a couple reasons. First the hinges open up over the charcoal, so I can add more if needed, or I can throw in some more wood if needed.

Also, I discovered today that my Maverick probe isn't working anymore, so I'm flying blind today for the most part. All I have to work with is the thermometer in the lid. I'll probe the meat later on as I get closer. But this set up allows the thermometer in the lid to sit over empty space instead of parking it directly over hot coals.

SmokingPerformer018.jpg

Hopefully that will give it a more accurate reading. And since the meat is sitting on a rack, and not on the grill itself, I think the temperature is a little more accurate. Not perfect.. .but hey.. it's what I got.

Flipped my Charcoal Chimney over and lit 6 briquettes using some weber cubes and a stack of bricks.

SmokingPerformer015.jpg

SmokingPerformer016.jpg

SmokingPerformer019.jpg

Then spread them out strategically over my bed of fuel.

SmokingPerformer022.jpg

Placed the pork shoulder, that had been injected and rubbed with my own ancient chinese secret and left to rest overnight, on the roasting rack and put her on the Performer.

SmokingPerformer021.jpg

SmokingPerformer020.jpg

I added some wire to the ends of the cooking rack because I intend to add another smaller roast on part way through the cook, and I didn't want them falling off the sides.

What you see in the bottom of the pan is a last minute dusting of brown sugar. What you don't see in the pictures is that I also put some apple juice in the bottom of the pan. I've never been one to use a water pan in my cooking, but I figured I'd try it this time.

I intend to pull this, refrigerate it, and take it to share at work tomorrow night. So I figure I can catch all the drippings mixed with the apple juice and add it back to the final product when I reheat it for serving.
icon_smile.gif

Anyway.. I think this is a pretty effective method for smoking on a kettle for cheap. It has all the elements of a WSM in my kettle.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> * I have a controlled charcoal containment system.

* Better air control this way than with a side set up because my coals are directly over all three of the vents instead of off to the side against the wall.

* The pan acts as both a heat shield and as a water pan. [/list]

And.. being that this is a performer... I'll also admit that at first I didn't think the 6 briquettes were catching the rest of the coal going, so I turned on the burner (which is located directly below my bed of fuel) for a minute to speed things up. And it worked great. I might even ditch the whole Chimney thing all together next time. Why bother?

So.. I've got all day cook now. Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted.

Interesting set up, let us know how it works, and what the temperature on the dome reads.

At 3 hours in, I'm currently locked in at a dome temp of 225.

Sorry.. my camera wouldn't focus. I tried to use that stick as something to focus on, but it still wouldn't. You can still read the gauge though.

SmokingPerformer023.jpg

I'm estimating the grill rack temp to be about 50 degrees hotter than that. But considering that the roast is sitting on another rack over some apple juice, I have no idea what temperature it's actually cooking at.

But I figure anywhere from 225 to 275 is fine.

The bottom vent is barely cracked.

SmokingPerformer024.jpg

And the top vent is about 40%

SmokingPerformer025.jpg

Wow, I'm really interested to see how this turns out. I've got a smokenator and I find eat easy to get 6 hours out of it, but the temp seems to take a while to come up when using it on the performer and you really only have a few spots to add the lives coals to so it seems to burn coals pretty fast on the sides and create allot of ash that requires allot of sweeping. Please let us know how long you get out of that fuel load before adding coals and post pics of the finished product!!

Originally posted by Michael L.:

I'm estimating the grill rack temp to be about 50 degrees hotter than that.

In my experience you need to estimate in the other direction. My grate temp is usually 30-50 degrees Lower than the dome temp...

Originally posted by Stuart S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael L.:

I'm estimating the grill rack temp to be about 50 degrees hotter than that.

In my experience you need to estimate in the other direction. My grate temp is usually 30-50 degrees Lower than the dome temp... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah.. I've heard both. In the end... the thermometer is not at the top of the dome, and it's not at the grill grate level either. It's sort of in between. Which.. since the pork is on a roasting rack and is about 2-4 inches tall itself.. it's sort of in the same zone. So I'm ok with it.

Ok.. put it on at 7:00am, and it's now 12:53. I just went out and put on second, smaller, roast. The big one is for work tomorrow. The smaller one is for dinner tonight.

SmokingPerformer2001.jpg

It's funny.. the smaller one that is still cold and just covered with rub looks almost as done as the one that has been in the smoker for 6 hrs. Ha!!

So... 7lbs, and 4lbs makes 11 lbs of pork on the Performer.

I put the lid back on, cleaned up my foil, and plastic wrap and swept off my table and within about 5 minutes the temp was right back to 225-250'ish.

SmokingPerformer2002.jpg

I might be wrong, but I thought I recognized an increase occurring so I closed the top vent a just a crack.

You can kind of see that there are still unlit and unburnt coals and wood chunks under the roasting pan.

So officially, I've got 6 hours with no refueling. I've cycled the cleaning arm once and got a temporary spike in temp that was easily cured with some vent controls. Overall it has been extremely easy to this point.

I started out with about 2/3 of a 20 lb bag of Blue K and I used about half I think. So we'll see.

Thanks for reading.

Reading this post has made me want some q i went in and took out left over shoulder from the freezer i did on the 26th and my wife is going to make nachos out of it when she gets home.....This forum is bad for my waist line the first shoulder looks outstanding hope the second turns out just as good...

Is that a Pale Ale i see? Makes it hard on a fella on Tuesday afternoon...

Yeah.. I've heard both. In the end... the thermometer is not at the top of the dome, and it's not at the grill grate level either. It's sort of in between. Which.. since the pork is on a roasting rack and is about 2-4 inches tall itself.. it's sort of in the same zone. So I'm ok with it.

That makes allot of sense!

Can't wait to see your finished results, looks great in the half way pics and I'm pretty sure you're going to get 10+ hours out of those coals...I think I might try this method with a similar rack I've got and a cheap roasting pan.

Originally posted by JTodd:
Reading this post has made me want some q i went in and took out left over shoulder from the freezer i did on the 26th and my wife is going to make nachos out of it when she gets home.....This forum is bad for my waist line the first shoulder looks outstanding hope the second turns out just as good...

Is that a Pale Ale i see? Makes it hard on a fella on Tuesday afternoon...

Yeah, I work 4/10's Wednesday through Saturday. So I get Sun,Mon,Tues off. So yeah... Pale Ale.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael L.:

That makes allot of sense!

Can't wait to see your finished results, looks great in the half way pics and I'm pretty sure you're going to get 10+ hours out of those coals...I think I might try this method with a similar rack I've got and a cheap roasting pan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't believe I didn't think of this before.

The really sad thing is that I HAVE done whole chickens like this before. I just never thought to really load up the coals with some vent control and do a shoulder cook.

UPDATE:

It's now 5 minutes til 7pm which is the 12 hour mark for both the cook and the larger shoulder.

Internal temp of 200 on the money. Removed and foiled for a bit. I'll go pull it here in few.

SmokingPerformer2006.jpg

The second/smaller one is still at about 179. I'll leave her on for a bit more.

When I probed it I removed the whole pan from the Performer so I wouldn't have the lid open for a long period of time. Hoping to keep a consistent temperature. This allowed me to get a good look at the fire situation going on underneath.

SmokingPerformer2005.jpg

I can clearly see a ton of fuel left after 12 hrs with no refueling. Including some wood chunks that are still unlit. I have no idea how long it will go, but I'd be willing to bet that I could get another 4 - 6 hrs out of it.

Also... I bought an oven thermometer and hung it from the rack that the meat was sitting on. So it's hanging at the same level that the meat was cooking at.

The Performer Dome temp read 250.

SmokingPerformer2003.jpg

And the oven temp read 275.

SmokingPerformer2004.jpg

So.. not that far off. .

So, at least for my Performer, I can say that the dome temp is 25 degrees from an accurate reading for a cooking temp.

FAIL: I will say that the apple juice in the bottom of the pan was a horrific miss fire. The heat cooked the @#$% out of it and it turned to this black bubbling tar early on in the cook. I hope it didn't ruin the overall flavor. So next time I'll just use water. I think you have to use water because the pork is going to drip and burn otherwise.

Foiled for only 30 minutes.

The bone pulled clean from the meat with no assistance.

SmokingPerformer2008.jpg

The rest of it pulled like butter.

SmokingPerformer2009.jpg

SmokingPerformer2010.jpg

SmokingPerformer2011.jpg

SmokingPerformer2012.jpg

SmokingPerformer2018.jpg

Came out a touch dry, not bad at all, but just a touch drier than I'd like. But I think I cooked a little hot as well. And I know there were a few high heat spikes in there.

Overall I'm very pleased especially with not having my Maverick to help out during the cook.

This cook went so well that I might have just cost myself a WSM from the appropriations committee.
icon_frown.gif

UPDATE:

It's now 5 minutes til 7pm which is the 12 hour mark for both the cook and the larger shoulder.

This allowed me to get a good look at the fire situation going on underneath.

SmokingPerformer2005.jpg

I can clearly see a ton of fuel left after 12 hrs with no refueling. Including some wood chunks that are still unlit. I have no idea how long it will go, but I'd be willing to bet that I could get another 4 - 6 hrs out of it.

Thanks for posting the follow up with the pic after the 12 hour mark. I'm amazed at how much fuel is left, and I think you could get at least another 6 hours based on how much you started with vs. how much is left. Obviously the fact that you didn't really seem to stir the coals much didn't affect the temp at all...

Really awesome job and I can't wait to try it! I've been holding off on doing butts and brisket until I could figure out a way to cook AND sleep without getting a WSM and this looks like it might be the ticket.

I AM impressed. I'm not really surprised (based on the "Minion Method" that's been done on my 22.5 OTG) but impressed nonetheless!

Thanks for sharing with us. Those photos will really help any of us who want to do this (I believe that I will give it a try in the near future).

Who said American ingenuity is dead!

Dale53

For the record.. it's now 10:20. 15 hours after I started and I just went out and check the grill and it was still holding temp.

I shut down all the vents which always kills a fire quickly, and I'll check to see how much fuel is remaining in the morning.

UPDATE:

Thanks for posting the follow up with the pic after the 12 hour mark. I'm amazed at how much fuel is left, and I think you could get at least another 6 hours based on how much you started with vs. how much is left. Obviously the fact that you didn't really seem to stir the coals much didn't affect the temp at all...

Really awesome job and I can't wait to try it! I've been holding off on doing butts and brisket until I could figure out a way to cook AND sleep without getting a WSM and this looks like it might be the ticket.

Yeah, I never stirred the coals at all. I did from time to time smack the bottom of the kettle on each side. Or I'd grab the table and shutter the whole BBQ to shake the ash loose, then I'd sweep with the One Touch Arm to clear it out. Otherwise I didn't do anything to the coals.

I think it helps that they'd centered on the grate and that the charcoal baskets are ventilated as well.

Michael that was fan-tas-tic!! Thanks for alll the pictures and play by play on the temps, how you set up the charcoal etc. I am going out today and finding an inexpensive roasting pan, and am going to try this. Thanks again a truely inspirational cook! I don't have room for a WSM, so this sure helps out in being able to smoke. Also what size is you pan,..is it a 13x9 inch??? Just so I know what size do get..
How much kinsford did you put down intitally. I could not find that answer in the post,..I am sure I missed it somewhere.

Last update:

So here it is the next morning completely cold. I shut the vents down after 15 hours cook time and here is what was left over the next morning.

SmokingPerformer2.jpg

Based on this cook, I'd put money down that I could do a 20 hr cook. Which means that ANYTHING is in range when smoking on a kettle.

And I think from now I'm going to ditch the chimney and just start my coals with the gas assist.

Awesome.
icon_smile.gif

Back