Smoking Marathon Part 2: Home-Cured and Smoked Ham

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
This is the ham that was hiding on the bottom rack during Smoking Marathon Part 1. This started out with a leg so fresh that it was wondering what hit it not long before this shot was taken.

4BC2D6A0-2D08-4E35-BEDB-55A0A42115DC-3880-000004FAF6E7453E.jpg

Once home, he was skinned and went into a brine to cure.

DSC_1308_zpsff855a45.jpg

DSC_1310_zps28640432.jpg

DSC_1317_zps9650977e.jpg

The cure was also injected to help speed the process. After 10 days it came out, dried off, and hit the smoker.

DSC_1392_zps960479d0.jpg

After 12 hours in the WSM, this is what it looked like.

DSC_1418_zps20112b40.jpg

Then it spent a few nights in my fridge, before being cooked at my parents for brunch on Christmas.

DSC_1435_zps11d220a8.jpg

DSC_1436_zps7f48e47e.jpg

DSC_1437_zps25dd2d54.jpg

If you've ever considered doing this, DO IT. It's on the same level as homemade bacon when compared to commercial bacon. I had a lot of fun with this and will be doing it again.

Thanks for looking!

Looks phenomenal. After it left the brine, I'm curious whether you let it rest for salt equalization. Oh, and did you use nitrates?

Looks phenomenal. After it left the brine, I'm curious whether you let it rest for salt equalization. Oh, and did you use nitrates?

It was out of the brine for almost a day before smoking. You can see the nitrite (pink salt) in the picture looking down into the brining bucket. I mostly followed the recipe in Cooking by Hand except mine is smoked.

Beautiful ham Jon!

I've pumped and then used dry cure, but never a pickle cure on hams before.
Now I need to find a fresh ham and get started!

WOW! Jon that FAB YOU LISH US!! I'm going to be bugging you later on how to's and what not's :D thanks for posting and hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a great New Year!!

Thanks for your comments everyone!

I've pumped and then used dry cure, but never a pickle cure on hams before.
Now I need to find a fresh ham and get started!

I pumped and pickled. You could really taste the brine ingredients when the ham was cold.

Man that looks good! Jon what does a fresh ham cost per pound?

This was $1.49/lb. That's including skin, and I'm really not sure what the final weight was before cooking.

WOW! Jon that FAB YOU LISH US!! I'm going to be bugging you later on how to's and what not's :D thanks for posting and hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a great New Year!!

I'd be happy to walk you through it. Pink (curing) salt and an injector are the only things you might not have on hand. A bucket to brine it in and a place to put the bucket were the difficulties for me. I ended up using the kitty litter bucket that I use to sanitize stuff for homebrewing, and had to sacrifice most of my beer fridge for about 10 days. It was worth it!

Last edited:

Back